Questions to ask when looking at a new livery yard

luie123

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am looking around a yard this weekend, and wondered what kind of things to ask. So far I have wormimg, turn out arrangments, whats included/not included, any other ideas?

Evil_Cookie

Visit site
Yard rules? Parking for trailers/horseboxes? Storage? Field management? Any bedding issues... ie... only shavings or something?

I'm sure other people will have far more ideas than me...

icestationzebra

Visit site
Security!
grin.gif

najat

Visit site
emergency and holiday cover (vital if you are going DIY!)

Full livery - special dietary requirements

hollyzippo

Visit site
Can you book school? Individual turn out? If not poo picking routine? Are they checked by anyone on site? Paddock rotation? Can you lunge etc in school?- if not is there a lunge pen? Extra for box parking? Safety of roads for hacking?

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Ask about using the school when there are lessons going on...

Ask if prices go up in winter and how much hay/straw costs in winter? Can you bring your own and if so, where do you store it?

Ask about paying for lights in the school etc of if this is all included.

if you have a problem and cant get to the yard, will they do 'odd jobs' for your horse i.e. food/water/muck out etc

Are mares/geldings seperate or together?

Do the liveries 'own' a section of the yard and are thus responsble for it? Or do yard staff keep an area clean and functioning?

Can't think of any more at the moment... Good luck!

LusoLover

Visit site
If you have any things that you are particular about that would irriatate if not done, be honest with the YO and discuss you requirements. I always think it is best to have an open and honest chat about what your needs are, but equally what the YO's rules are. Don't assume anything, as it's very difficult if you move on to find things don't happen quite how you assumed they would do.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
All very good ideas above. You need to know if there are any 'hidden extras', i.e. Christmas/New Year/Bank Holiday increased charges for services.

Does the yard have comprehensive insurance cover.

Will there be a yard contract to sign (this should protect both parties).