Quick advice needed!! Chambon or side reins?

Moomin1

Visit site
After taking some advice from people on here yesterday, I am off out to buy one or the other (in the next half hour!!), but not sure which one (if either) is better?

I'm trying to fitten up my mare and get her working nicely into an outline. She hasn't been ridden much so will only be doing very short sessions using them, and am hoping to build up her back end and topline.

Any advice appreciated!!

Spyda

Visit site

Moomin1

Visit site
Thanks Spyda,

I'm on limited funds at the moment so will rush off to get a chambon now! Going to rush back to the yard after and get a lunge in before the light goes.

I must admit - I've never really been a fan of lunging gadgets (other than side reins) but the Pessoa is one that I have always thought I would like to try. I may have to save up!!

Littlelegs

Visit site
Having read your other thread, I'd say a chambon but make sure its big enough to fit loosely at first till she gets used to it. Ideally I'd say side reins for a week or 2 first until she's got the hang of moving a bit more. But if you have to choose one, a chambon.

Spyda

Visit site
Thanks Spyda,

I'm on limited funds at the moment so will rush off to get a chambon now! Going to rush back to the yard after and get a lunge in before the light goes.

I must admit - I've never really been a fan of lunging gadgets (other than side reins) but the Pessoa is one that I have always thought I would like to try. I may have to save up!!

*Whispers* I couldn't afford a genuine Pessoa either so bought a Mark Todd Training system instead. I cant recall what I paid but I looked out for an eBay bargain and got one :)

Good luck with the Chambon. I hope it helps.

Moomin1

Visit site
Well, after rushing off excitedly to the tack shop before it closed - they didn't have any chambons in so I went for some cheapy side reins for now.

Lunged her for about 15mins in total last night with them, and she was very forward strangely - it's almost as if she knew I meant business this time because she was all tacked up (normally just lunge her without!).

I'm a bit unsure on how tight the side reins should be to have much effect though. I did them on the loosest because I obviously wanted her to get the feel of them - but they were flapping about quite a bit and she didn't really have any contact on her mouth with them. She didn't work down much at all - despite using her back end well, she still was poking her nose in the air as much as possible.

How tight should the be - and at what stage should I tighten them up?

(Sorry for numpty questions - I have never done all this before as my previous horse wouldn't lunge!). :eek:

Deseado

Visit site
Um, lunging (properly) is actually quite technical and you'd be well advised to get an instructor to show you how to do it, especially with side reins - even more especially with a chambon!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I usually lunge without them for a few mins on each rein first, then put them so the contact is similar to how I'd have the reins at first, which is long & low. Depending what level the horse is working at, i'll then shorten them again. If in doubt, leave them a few inches longer, its better to stop after a few circuits & tighten them than start off too short. If she's lifting her head even when they're loose just push her forward again. And I like to finish off by unclipping the side reins & allowing the horse to really stretch down for a couple of circuits. If they've been working correctly you get a lovely forward but loose movement with their noses almost on the floor. Glad it went well last night too.