Quick, and perfectly innocent, question about horse boots...

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I'm just curious as to how secure they are on the foot? The only ones I've seen in RL (don't know the brand) look as if they would come off if you trotted.
Do people gallop/jump in them? Do they feel 'odd' at first to the horses?
As I said... just curious

Caol Ila

Visit site
I have a thirteen year old EasyBoot that I put on when my horse loses a shoe. I can walk and trot in it but it seems to fall off at the canter. There might be better ones out there now. I hope the technology has improved in the last thirteen years!

MrsNorris

Visit site
Friend of mine has old mac G2s and does everything in them, including jumping, galloping etc and rarely loses one. I have yet to find a pair which suit the shape of my horses feet perfectly and have trouble keeping them on at faster paces. It all depends on the shape of your horses feet and getting the correct size/style. :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have the easyboot trails. You have to measure the hooves carefully as they must be an exact fit so that they do not move around too much on the hoof. You must also use them with pads inside which mould to the shape of the underside of the hoof. They are designed for riding long distance and can be galloped and jumped in. When I first got them for my geldng they made a massive improvement to his trot. It used to be short and choppy, now it is smooth and flowing.

Shantara

Visit site
One of our TBs used to gallop in them, he seemed to love them! Sadly he became lame (nothing to do with the boots) and was out for a good few years. They were put away badly and now they don't fit him and he threw one in trot...his hooves seemed to improve while he was out, so he's got proper shoes back on now.

floradora09

Visit site
I've just got a pair for my horse, he walked a little funny to start with (like when you've just put travelling boots on) but quickly settled and was striding out nicely. Haven't been able to ride much atm as he's done something to his back leg, so can't report if they stay on jumping etc, but he does have a tendancy to overreach so I shall be sticking to walking/little bit of trotting in them only to be safe :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have four horses and three different types of boots you have match the boot to the horses foot shape as well as size I get my trimmer to chose them as he's experianced at this and I fear I would get it wrong .
He also has a big collection of loan boots which he loans out when feet are changing size .
I don't do fast work or jump in mine I do that BF .my Favorites are easy boot back country's the easiest to put on.
I used them a fair bit while getting the horses going BF but only really need to on one horse now.

Last edited:

posie_honey

Visit site
i had old mac G1's for my mare for fronts - they were the only ones that fitted her hoof shape then (may have changed as this is a few years back now!)
did all paces in them and they stayed on - didnt jump though

Goldenstar

Visit site
Mean to add one horse was very ministry of funny walks at first but he quickly got over it, the others just took at few steps in a what's this way and were then fine.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I use epics and love them, I walk trot and canter in them. Yet to jump as my lad isn't ready. Iv also use cavellos.
Hoof boots have come a long way since the org easyboot

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I have Cavallo Simples for fronts only - she walked out in them the first time no different to normal. They have always stayed on in walk and trot, but haven't cantered in them as I don't use them in the school and don't really have anywhere to canter out on hacks round where I am

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Does anyone have problems with horses slipping in them ? I haven't used them for riding in, but bought the Easy Boot RX for light turnout after a hoof abscess. Its a lovely fitting boot but my horse slipped so badly when I put her out that I had to take it off.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have never turned out in them but riding no I have not despite having a pair of Boas which have a reputation for slipping and my OH used them for over two hours hound exercising in the pouring rain but that horse is a very canny hunter he would look after himself.
But I mainly use mine if I need to do more stoney tracks/ road work than the horse is ready for .