Quick - ideas for an alarm i can install TODAY..

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
Without giving too much away - our fences have been cut today.
YO horses got onto main road.

This is bad enough, however we think the gap has been cut for the barstewards to come back tonight / tomorrow and do the yard over.

We will obv remove tack and other valuables - but i cant remove the horses :-(

Its been suggested i lock the horses in their boxes - but im a fire phobe and had kittens at the thought.

All ideas welcome - im having a rubbish time at the moment as i lost my dad last Thursday so this is all i blimmin need.

Shipley

Visit site
Im really sorry for the loss of your Dad, cant add much help re the alarm but maybe poping into B and Q ? Hope someone else can be of more help and they dont come back,

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Get a Yale wireless battery alarm. High screech - takes an hour to install - available at places like Homebase. If you have mains electric buy a cheap 50w halogen light and fix to stable apex and leave it on all night!!!!

Last edited:

canteron

Visit site
Could you put some sticky stuff all along the fence line, spray something or other, that would at least make them aware that you had put some security in order and were on the case.

Someone on here recommended this camera if you don't have electricity for full CCTV

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/prostalk_nature_camera/prostalk_cam.htm

I think they went for a mid-range one.

But if it was me, I would have a rota of people just keeping watch!!

Good luck. I am sure if they cut the fencing they know that they would have alerted you, so they probably (fingers crossed) won't be back tonight.

canteron

Visit site
Haha, just had another thought. You could spray some blue/coloured paint onto the horses. They would be less valuable to them. I think I could like with a bit of car spray paint on my horses back (with your postcode) until they lost their coat if it meant I could get a good nights sleep - after all they are all about to shed their coats.

canteron

Visit site
Haha, just had another thought. You could spray some blue/coloured paint onto the horses. They would be less valuable to them. I think I could live with a bit of car spray paint on my horses back (with your postcode) until they lost their coat if it meant I could get a good nights sleep - after all they are all about to shed their coats.

Equimo

Visit site
Echo Geese, a flock of them!
Though probably better than Geese, a couple of big noisy dogs running loose.
We have two very noisy collie dogs who guard the gate brilliantly. And 'they' know!!
Best of luck, horrible feeling. I think i'd be sleeping in a stable ready to set my collies on the barrrrstarrds, then i'd have someone hiding ready to slash tyres so they couldn't get away!

meesha

Visit site
go down in shifts with dog if poss who will alert you to anyone. maybe alarm and light but only if neighbour will see/hear it and call you or police. Block any gateways/gaps in fence with a vehicle.

Long term could you move fence in a bit and dig a ditch the other side, this would stop horses getting out if anyone did the same again. We have been done over at yard and they took hole borer and generator but didnt touch the horses - I think its rare they are interested in the horses !

Soo sorry to hear about your Dad x

OWLIE185

Visit site
Until you can improve security your only option is to ensure that someone is patrolling the yard 24/7 (or employ security guards).
I would suggest that you have some proper post and rail fencing installed with some Equi-fencing on it.
Have your horse freezemarked on a visible part of its body when being ridden (not under saddle). Anyone can read a freezemark.
Have all your tack marked with your poscode.
Also mark any items with smart water. www.smartwater.com
Install wirelesss cctv but ensure they can not be tampered with (on verty high masts/poles)

shellonabeach

Visit site
A quick cheap readily available alarm I learnt on here and use myself is to attach a rape alarm to gates etc with fishing wire.

Can you put something big in the gap they made - big heston bales of straw / hay etc? Something which they cannot easily move or cut

SpottedCat

Visit site
We've got one of these: http://www.maplin.co.uk/garage-shed-alarm-30579 on our garage. It was on our shed before we moved house and helped prevent a break-in - some nasty chavving children had obviously followed us home on our mountain bikes and were having a go at the shed. The alarm went off and our neighbour came out and yelled at them till they ran off. Blooming marvelous (until it transpired that she was the reason they knew what was in there).

luckyoldme

Visit site
good luck fitting your yale alarm.. we have installed one at my workshop and thought it was brilliant value for money.
I hope everything remains safe... and so sorry to hear about your dad.. It s a tough time.x

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Sorry to hear your news, glad you've got some locks sorted too. Might be worth putting a sign up also saying warning, horses are passported, freezemarked and micro chipped and the yard is under police surveillance due to a break in.
Sounds stupid but if they decide they can get easier pickings elsewhere, they probably will.