Quick question of the Day - what sort of planning permission do I need for stables?

Lacuna

Visit site
We are just sorting the forms for planning permission for a 3 stable block in our garden (we are in North Pembrokeshire) and have reached a small impasse.

I think a full form may be needed to cover all eventualities but OH is convinced that we just need HouseHolders Permission as it is on our 3.5 acre 'garden'. Can anyone advise from their own experience? The location is about 40/50m away from the main (listed) house, towards the rear of the property in the Pembs National Park

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
If the house is listed, then you are likely to need the full form. Full plain for Building with the curtilage of a listed building is needed, I think

rextherobber

Visit site
If it's within the curtilage of the house, you technically don't need permission (don't know about the listed building thing) but in our case, they quibbled and argued the toss and were a general right royal pain. Also, the officer in charge of the case kept leaving, and we were given a new person, which seemed to put us back to square one all the time. We are in a National Park, if that makes a difference. With hindsight, I wish we'd just gone ahead with it without consulting them, but we wanted to do everything right, in the end we employed a chartered building surveyor, who was worth every penny, and knew how to deal with them.

limestonelil

Visit site
Just seen this. As soon as I saw you are in a National Park, your own land or not, you must check with NP planning department. No ifs or buts.

blitznbobs

Visit site
If it's within the curtilage of the house, you technically don't need permission (don't know about the listed building thing) but in our case, they quibbled and argued the toss and were a general right royal pain. Also, the officer in charge of the case kept leaving, and we were given a new person, which seemed to put us back to square one all the time. We are in a National Park, if that makes a difference. With hindsight, I wish we'd just gone ahead with it without consulting them, but we wanted to do everything right, in the end we employed a chartered building surveyor, who was worth every penny, and knew how to deal with them.
There is no permitted development with listed buildings - you need full planning permission.

Visit site
Definitely as blitznbobs says (we investigated buying a listed property a few years back) as it’s also in a National park, you would be well advised to find a planning agent to help you, are there any properties nearby that have had equestrian developments approved, if so, have a look on the council’s websites for the supporting docs, as they’ll likely have their planning agents details in there.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Definately one for a planning consultant used to dealing with listed building planning applications in your local area. Look on your local planning authority website at live applications and get some names of potential consultants from those or speak to a local country type estate agents to see if they can recommend someone.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You definitely need PP a planning consultation while not essential will make it much easier .
You to find one whose done this type of thing not all will have .

Marigold4

Visit site
I'm watching this with interest. Buying a property with land in national park and hoping to get planning for stables. Put in a "do I need planning permission" question to Council and they said yes. Stables would need to be less than 20m of the wall of the dwelling to not need planning. My potential house is not listed. Wanted to put stables in an orchard. Three doors down, neighbour wants to do similar and has been refused :(

Marigold4

Visit site
Response from planners doesn't mention "curtilage".

This proposal consists of the siting of a stable structure measuring approximately 8.8 metres by 10 metres in size. This structure is proposed to be located more than 20 metres from the dwelling.
Schedule 1, Part 2, Class E.2 of the General Permitted Development Order 2015. Class E - buildings etc incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse states that within National Parks such as the South Downs, proposals exceeding 10 sq. metres require planning permission if they are situated more than 20 metres from any wall of the dwellinghouse.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Wanted to put stables in an orchard. Three doors down, neighbour wants to do similar and has been refused :(
IME planners do not like any existing trees to be cut down or compromised by a proposed equestrian development. We had to mark out every tree on our 7 acres. The planning bod checked out our measurements by pacing out the distance from our weeping willow in the garden to our proposed field shelter site on the field - all good but only just.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
IME planners do not like any existing trees to be cut down or compromised by a proposed equstrian development. We had to mark out every tree on our 7 acres. The planning bod checked out our measurements by pacing out the distance from our weeping willow in the garden to our proposed field shelter site on the field - all good but only just.

Agreed, same with our self build.