Quick survey- Jill'sGymkana

blitznbobs

Visit site
For those of you who have not read the book it's about a girl who finds a pony and miraculously wins everything in the county( just retracing it with a friend's daughter)

So here is the question

How many of you have got a red (or blue if you're PC or from the US) rossy first time out with a new horse (closest I've come is a second... But I still dream;))

abina

Visit site
Yes I was very lucky - One mare that I purchased we actually stopped off en route on the way home, at a comp and won both classes, travelled on home and she settled in well for the next 14yrs winning quite a drawful of red ones.

Horse of a life time !

miss_c

Visit site
First time out with Genie I got 2 firsts and a championship, first time out with Milly (admittedly before I owned her!) we got 3 firsts.

kildalton

Visit site
For those of you who have not read the book it's about a girl who finds a pony and miraculously wins everything in the county( just retracing it with a friend's daughter)

So here is the question

How many of you have got a red (or blue if you're PC or from the US) rossy first time out with a new horse (closest I've come is a second... But I still dream;))

Yes with my share cob, it was family horse /pony and because she was such a saint and I was a nearly 50 yo who hadn't been on a horse for years I think the judge felt sorry for her. I won a trophy as well.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Yep, on my second pony. Got him on the sunday, took him to a local show on the friday and won loads - including an accumulator class :)

Great pony, went on to have a great life after being with me, running off with people doing tetrathlon :)

rhino

Visit site
Yes, with the ginger boy. 1st show was a dressage/combined training comp, which I won overall so got 2 red rosettes - one for the best dressage mark and one for the overall.

:)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
First time out on my sensible happy hacking cob we won the Novice jumping, followed by the Intermediate jumping, followed by the Open jumping, followed by sharing first place in the high jump. Frillies and trophies for each class, I was SO embarrassed but it was my first show for over 25 years!

DragonSlayer

Visit site

So here is the question

Not quite everything...!

The first show Jill went to, wasn't good at all..she didn't win a thing...it was at Chatton Show that she did well, AND it was a year after she got Black Boy, so one would hope with all that training from Martin and Mrs. Darcy, it would account to something...

My god.

How sad am I?

Hahahahahahaha!

:D

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Not quite everything...!

The first show Jill went to, wasn't good at all..she didn't win a thing...it was at Chatton Show that she did well, AND it was a year after she got Black Boy, so one would hope with all that training from Martin and Mrs. Darcy, it would account to something...

My god.

How sad am I?

Hahahahahahaha!

Ah ha! A closet fan :D :D

I used to dream of having a little cottage, with an orchard and two stables like Jill had :cool:

D1 and Little Cob. First ever show. First ever class (coloured in-hand). And won :D :D

Smitty

Visit site

I used to dream of having a little cottage, with an orchard and two stables like Jill had :cool:

All very nice, but weren't they dreadfully poor, could hardly ever pay the rent and her mum often had writers block?

DS: I guess it must have been Rapide that won first time out then, but from what I remember, wasn't he a cheap problem horse?

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Ah, now Rapide was a show jumper, who was £60, a lot of money said Jill's mummy!

But if you remember, Jill blew the £40 given to her to buy a pony on a 15hh mare and a battered pony to help some kids raise money by hiring horses out! Luckily, some Major or other decided to buy them, for a total of £60!

So off Jill went to see him, and he was an arse, but Jill being Jill....decided to have him anyway.

He was a muppet for her for a bit, and was gonna sell him, but then decided to keep him to at least TRY....and it paid off!

So yes, in this day and age, a £60 show jumper is CHEEEAAAAP!!! but then...he was a good price....

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Funnily enough... I dug all my horsey paperbacks (loads of Pullein-Thompsons, Beresfords, Fergusons) for my 8 yr old but no-where could I find Gill's Gymkhana - so I got it from eBay for her last week. She's loving it!

I also used to dream of a cottage with two ponies... especially since I was firmly stuck in suburbia and never likely to have a pony.

A few decades on, I haven't got a horse yet (but working on that) but very much doubt I'll be in the ribbons, first time or twentieth time out!!

corriehorse

Visit site
A few years ago a friend very kindly let me do 2 dressage tests on her young cob at a small local horse show. We went and won both tests with some very good marks. I had only ridden him twice before we did the dressage, 1st time was a hack with her on her other young, green cob, when I totally fell in love with him, and the second time was a schooling session we thought would be a wise idea after I'd entered.

Took him out 2 more times afterwards and had 2 3rds at the first one, and a 6th and unplaced at the second one in some very good company.

Loved that little, hairy pony!

babymare

Visit site
over the years won a few rossettes with the many horses - working and my own - but the best was the first i won when 7 at local gymkanna on a black shettie in sack race - 41 years on I still have it - its 4" tails and the gold words Prestbury show - pmsl time comes around as i also won senior gimmies championship on daughters first pony 3 years running some 16 years ago bare back lol

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
No, unplaced, but at our second show we came third in a big class, qualified for the BSPA National Championships and beat a HOYS winner, I didn't float back down to earth for days (oh, and I was 30, a late starter!)

ngrace

Visit site
Yes! On a horse I was riding a few times a week, so he wasn't mine, maybe that doesn't count..we went on to get eliminated in the next class though, I bet that didn't happen to Jill.

unbalanced

Visit site
Erm, in my first show it was best turned out in hand and my pony kicked the judge, so we came, well, last. Bet that didn't happen to Jill either.

Mind, I still have her, and she is charming and delightful now;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Pony got a first in his first ridden competition - WT dressage. But didn't win first time out in hand as a 3 y/o (just second & fourth)... I always thought the book was rather daft!

Dubsie

Visit site
Not quite everything...!

My god.

How sad am I?

Hahahahahahaha!

I am glad you agree - I was just scrolling down indignantly muttering to myself that this was wrong, she was frightfully nervous and that had ruined everything as she'd made Black Boy nervous too so he didn't behave well, so she hadn't won a thing at her first show. It was Jill's mum who overheard someone say they were surprised the girl in the blue shirt hadn't won anything because she was riding really well and was the most promising rider of the lot, but it was Anne who won the rosettes that day.

My daughter won her first show jumping class, she was very surprised to win.

Dubsie

Visit site

D1 and Little Cob. First ever show. First ever class (coloured in-hand). And won :D :D

My friend Tess and I used to quote pages and pages from the Jill books, we knew the stories inside out. I have my own small Jill-style cottage, with little rooms plenty of books and no space for visitors (apart from the fact it's a ghastly modern 1970s farmworkers bungalow) on the edge of suburbia (but way too many cars, and no common to gallop on for miles and miles). There's a riding school hack past regularly, and rather than an orchard I have just a cherry tree in the back garden and an acre of bluebell woods which they graze in rotation with our main paddock and the hay field. We have a tumbly down stable formerly used for storing junk - but it's made of brieze blocks, and we paint the walls white (with wall paint rather than whitewash). Jumps are made from things we have to hand like logs, and more modern old pallets and 25 litre plastic drums.

spookypony

Visit site
His first time out, the Spooky Pony won not one, but two red rossies...wait for it...

...he came first of one in an equitation class, and first of two in a best-mane-and-tail class. :D :D :D