Quiet Yard, Busy Yard for Your Horse? Mine Struggling to Settle!

Elsbells

Visit site
I moved my mare close to home last week, so that I could bring her in with company. The new yard is great, only 7 horses and 4 liveries and it's completely DIY. I'm not complaining about the yard or the liveries but my poor mare is finding it difficult to settle, though I'm sure she's trying hard bless her.

Because of the set up, horses come in/out at different times and because I don't like chasing her around in the dark, my mare is first for both. Going out she's pretty good as she's not out for long alone and so she is able to wait, coming in however, is another story and she's made it plain that she's not happy at all. I'm trying to ignore the fuss and try to make things as pleasant for her as I can(treat ball etc)and she is getting better. There's no doubt that she loves a big busy yard as she's a lamb then, so I'm wondering will she ever learn to like the quiet new yard or is this the way it's going to be? I really want this yard to work as it's perfect for me, but then again I'm well aware that I only visit whereas she has to live there.

Does anyone have a horse that just won't settle in such an environment or do they have a horse that has learned to be brave?

I'd love some happy ending stories and tips just to keep me going please......or
not so good so I have an idea.

Hot chocolate, whipped cream and marshmallow toppings for anyone whose got thus far(caus that's just what I had last night yum!).

Elo

Visit site
My mare used to be on a busy yard and coped fine. We moved to a small yard a number of years ago that had about 6 or so horses. The fields are kept in very good condition which means there is often quite a lot of grass. My mare is a good doer so to avoid putting too much weight on she was put out later in the morning while the other horses went out first thing. She didn't take it well to start with and it took a while for her to settle but she is fine now. In fact she is more settled here than she has been at any other yard.

Just give it time and see how things go.

Elsbells

Visit site
My mare used to be on a busy yard and coped fine. We moved to a small yard a number of years ago that had about 6 or so horses. The fields are kept in very good condition which means there is often quite a lot of grass. My mare is a good doer so to avoid putting too much weight on she was put out later in the morning while the other horses went out first thing. She didn't take it well to start with and it took a while for her to settle but she is fine now. In fact she is more settled here than she has been at any other yard.

Just give it time and see how things go.

Thankyou. This is what I'm hopeing will happen so I'm not giving in just yet. She's my girl and a real project 5 years ago so I struggle with her having any issues or even, just a sad eye! I'm useless when it comes to my girl.

marmalade88

Visit site
Hi,

my boy hates being in on his own, or in first. He love the buzz of the yard and watching what's going on. Even if he comes in to a full hay net on his own he moons out the door waiting for the others. He's always listening so even have a horse 4 stables down make him settle easier. I'm slowly but surely leaving on his own for increasing amounts of time and he seems to be improving. I will be watching this thread for any tips also!

Elo

Visit site
Thankyou. This is what I'm hopeing will happen so I'm not giving in just yet. She's my girl and a real project 5 years ago so I struggle with her having any issues or even, just a sad eye! I'm useless when it comes to my girl.

That's understandable :) Hopefully she will settle in. You know her best, so I'm sure you will know whether or not she has settled given some time.

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Ohhhh, I feel your pain!!
I've recently brought my 4yr old mare home who was bred on a private, small yard, then I moved her to a big, busy yard to back - she was perfect, not fussed if she was in on her own, happy in her field but equally happy to stay in with hay. Since bringing her home she's turned into a wreck! For the first week she wasn't too clingy but it's gradually got worse - thought I'd turned a corner this morning as she was just sulking in her stable when I returned from turning the other two out, she was more focused on me whilst I tacked her up/untacked & she worked fairly well & was then turned out. However, when she came in (first, but it's a matter of about 3 mins that she's alone till I get the others in & she's in a separate field), she was hysterical & tried to climb her door (weaving grill went up)! It's driving me mad!!! I'm hoping that with a small amount of 'tough love' she'll pull herself together & be the sane mare she was 3 weeks ago!! Any tips will be noted with interest!! Hope you have more success than me OP!! :D

ihatework

Visit site
Most of my horses have been more settled on bigger yards.

In fact my current horse I ended up having to move a couple of months after arrival as she just wasnt settled on the small yard.

Elsbells

Visit site
As for sharing turnout/bring in, theres 5 in 1 ownership in 1 field, my girl is next door to them and the only other single is in her field behind the barn whose well established and settled tbh so I dont like to ask.
Id like my girl to realise this is how its going to be ideally as ive done to much for other peoples horses over the years and would love to be just us.......if possible? !

Orson Cart

Visit site
We've had a horse from a very large and busy yard in London come up to the country to live with us on a DIY basis - there are only my two horses to keep her company. Quite a change as she had been at her old yard from the age of 2 and is now 21! At first she didn't settle at all. I think the shock of having turnout, being on a small yard, no longer being kept to the same routine as when on full livery etc upset her to start with ... but a month on she is starting to settle and her owner is also starting to chill out a bit! Every horse is different, but a week isn't long to gauge whether it's working for you or not. Hang in there and see how it goes would be my advice. If this little stressy arab can manage it, there is hope out there for you. :) Good luck either way. xx

Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
If mine was first out every morning she'd think she was in heaven! She'd be less impressed about coming in first and not due to lack of company, she just loves being out.

Can't you leave her out later? Would she come to call if she was out long enough?

If she has to be in alone can you try a radio? Or doing your jobs so she has human company? Mine is fairly happy when there are people pottering about but horse movement has stopped. Or could you work her as soon as possible so she isn't standing waiting for the others to come in?

Visit site
I keep my two horses on a farm with only 4 horses there in total. In the past, I have always kept them on larger yards with plenty of company and plenty going on. I was a little worried about keeping him in a yard with less horses as my Appy is a clingy boy and is very attached to my ISH, and quite a lot of the time it would mean one of them would have to stay in on their own whilst the other one was ridden etc if the other horses were out in the field.

I gave them a week to settle in and me and my mum rode them out together. Then, I gradually started taking one out leaving the other one in on their own, starting off with smaller hacks and building up to longer rides. My mum kept an eye on my Appy for the first few times and he was a lot better than I thought! He box-walked and shouted a bit but was actually a lot less noisy than he usually was - he used to call every time he heard a horse coming in at our old yard - which was quite often! He has got better and better and now can even be left while I go to a show! He only tends to call now when he hears us come back.

Both of my boys are very settled on this yard as it is quieter and they can really chill out and relax. My Appy is also a lot more confident about being left on his own now, so it has done him good! It's still early days for your girl yet, so give her longer to settle in - it could take at least a couple of months! I understand though, that a quiet yard doesn't suit every horse, but most can learn to adapt.

Hope this helps :)

Hope

Elsbells

Visit site
Thankyou for the posts everyone, it's really helped a lot and has given me the will not to give up.
Well theres been great improvement today and I was so pleased to see her relaxed as I arrived first at the yard this morning. Apparently she'd gotten herself in a bit of a state last night after I left but this morning she was dry and her bed looked tidy. I stood her outside her stable while I mucked out then popped her out in her field. There were a few calls but I left her to it.
I was dreading fetching her in tonight as she's been less and less willing to come in and I have had to drag her in around in circles all the way, but last night I took her an apple and treated her every few feet until we made it to the stable where her tea was waiting. So tonight I did the same and I was amazed as she came away from her pal who was on the other side of the hedge and came to me! This time she came in sweetly and luckily there was a little mare already in next door, so she settled straight away. I was able to groom her and change her rug for the very first time since we arrived. I've left her a treat ball and she's happy!
I've also offered to bring in the little mare in future whose field is next to the barn whenever they'd like me to and I'm sure I'll be taken up on it, especially at the weekend.
I'm so relaxed this evening and so pleased and after all the stress of moving yards that I just hope it continues. Thanks again.

Last edited: