Quirky pony Greenlands Showjumping Report with a Frilly!

Javabb94

Visit site
I decided as Java's loading is coming along much better than it has been, to make sure we stick to taking him out regularly, so last night I took him to the show jumping at Greenlands Equestrian Centre.

When we arrived at the yard in the dark and pouring rain, I wasn't holding out much hope of him loading at all, however to my complete surprise he walked straight on! Maybe he doesn't like the rain! We arrived to find no-one else there, questioning whether I had indeed got the right date, I set off worryingly to the arena. All was ok and it was on, i was just rather early. Watched the first few classes in the cold and headed off to tack up. It was at this point I realised I had no whip! Cue panic as Java is the type of horse who can need a few reminders to wake up. I reluctantly took my hoody and jacket of and was down to my shirt and stock in the cold to put my jacket on - next time the jacket is going on at home, never doing that again now its winter! I got my boots and was wondering why I could barely zip them up, Mum asked me where about's in the house I had collected them from and she started laughing. These were my old boots that were too small - right height but too small on foot. Never had such painful heels!

Finally after much drama, I hopped on board. A very kind lady also lent me a spare whip she had - very grateful for that. Java was jumping really well in the warm up, however in the 85cm, he decided the fillers were going to eat him and at fence 3, we just could not get near, i was allowed to skip and carry on thankfully and ensure he finished!

I came out very disappointed as he had gone clear hear the week before, however there are so many fillers here that the fillers in the course could be completely different each week. The one we stopped at he hadn't seen the week before. I debated about still doing the 95cm but I couldn't let him go home having got away without jumping 3. Very kindly the venue let me go last and if I had issues they would put it down for me to pop over.

He only went and jumped clear!!!!! Don't know who was more shocked the person on the gate or me! He didn't bat an eyelid at anything! Strange horse! We ended up with a 3rd so nice way to finish. To top it all off he managed to load first time on the way home. Can't believe not so long ago it used to take 3 days to load.
Unfortunately my camera ran out of battery before the 95cm which is gutting as he jumped so so eel giving everything loads of room. Once he is more consistent with the fillers he can do the 95cm and 105cm. 85cm is just too small but I need him to get over his filler fears in the first class rather than wait tip the second.

Onto Abbie, few disappointments - I don't think she is quite right, will update more once I have spoken to the vets about her, I hope it is nothing serious as she was doing well, as she was sound on the lunge which she hadn't been before the shoes.

The pictures are on my blog :)

http://naviculartoeventer.weebly.com/blog.html

EveningStar

Visit site
Well done :) Its always so heartening when they have strop in the first round but then decide to play nice next time - you come out feeling like you can do it in the end.
How have you worked with Java's loading issues - just keep trying or have you found something in particular that has helped?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Abbie.

Javabb94

Visit site
Well done :) Its always so heartening when they have strop in the first round but then decide to play nice next time - you come out feeling like you can do it in the end.
How have you worked with Java's loading issues - just keep trying or have you found something in particular that has helped?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for Abbie.

Thanks :) after the disappointment of first class he was great in the second one. With his loading we have just kept trying, and been a bit tougher with him, he isn't scared he just decided she is not going. I'm taking him out on again in 2 weeks to make sure we keep it up.

Abbie update will be on blog later today

Well done - and great news with the loading to come home! Hopefully things should keep going well for you

Thanks! I hope things keep going well Java is a changed horse at the minute!