Quite filly really aggressive towards other foal when im in the stable

Visit site
I have a 8 month old filly that I bought when she was 2 weeks old. She was weaned about 2 months ago and has now been put in with my sisters 9 month old foal. She has only been in with my sisters foal about a week and they seem to get on. I normally am in the stable with my sister, however this morning was in the stable with both of them alone. My filly who normally has a very sweet nature was quite aggressive towards the other foal. I was stroking my filly and my sisters foal come over and I momentarily stopped stroking her, my filly turned and bit the other foal and then spun back to me and went to bite me, she got told off by me and I ignored her and continued mucking her out. She come over after sulking for about 5 mins with her head down and I gave her another cuddle. When my sisters foal come over again she again bit the foal and then glared at me when she come back.
The breeder reckons it is jealousy and she is being protective over me. Has anyone else had anything similar happen with their foals.

Parrotperson

Visit site
I think if you were another horse she would do the same thing! it is jealousy and her learning her boundaries plus she obviously thinks she is in charge of the other foal. I'd ignore both of them when you're in with them. handle them separately and away from one another. she'll no doubt grow out of it but don't encourage her to be in your space and be bitey. its normal horsey growing up stuff. don't fret it too much. and ps where's the photo?!

be positive

Visit site
It sounds like a spoilt brat that needs less handling and turning out with an older mare who will firmly put her back in her place, if you want her to become a well adjusted equine it would be a good idea to back off from the cuddles, turn them out and do as little as you can with them for a while before it becomes too ingrained.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
As above I would lay off the cuddles you can over handle a foal, that's why hand reared foals are normally too confident around people and can often become aggressive, my friend had a gelding that was hand reared and he treated people like they were horses which is not ideal.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Do you have a water pistol? Seriously - not as messy as half a bucket of water (and I have used that, lol) I have two fillies weaned in one big box, and a colt and a filly in separate boxes next door - though they go out together. Initially the boy & girl were together, but he was a BRUTE to the filly (he's a right tit-bag of a foal.) But definitely jealousy of attention. I would still give some to the other foal and treat aNY signs of aggression, to the other foal - or to the other foals 'mummy' fast with the water pistol. If anyone wonders, the beauty of water pistol (or haf a bucket of water) is it's a shock response that they don't blame YOU for - they just associate it with what they were doing at the time.

Hell, I have a 12 yo mare who arrived back here as a door kicker. Her 'spare' name is BUCKET! It works - even if I haven't actually put the bucket outside her door.

Visit site
Thank you all, may try the water pistol idea if the attitude continues.
She was initially weaned with her older sister (her sister is a year older, she is quite dominant but not a bully) as when she was in the field with my sisters foal when they were both with their mums she was bullied quite badly as she is a month younger so was always smaller. They have been reintroduced now and she seems to get on with the other foal but shows more attitude when I’m there. In an ideal world I would have them out 24/7 but where she is it’s not an option (I wonder if some of the issue is boredom)
I see her daily but tend to only spend 5-10 mins handling her but do enjoy being in the stable to watch how they interact with each other which has not been an issue up until now as she has just got on with eating her hay. It was quite out of character for her to be at all aggressive as she is normally submissive. But yesterday seemed set in keeping herself between me and the other foal. The 2nd time when she glared at me it only took me to raise my voice at her and she lowered her head, stopped pulling faces and took a step away from me. In general I do worry about nothing a lot and I imaging that she’s won’t display that behaviour again (at least for a little while) as she doesn’t like being told off and learns very quickly.

TheMule

Visit site
How big is the stable? She may feel slightly threatened for space if it's not very large, 2 yearlings in one box is perhaps pushing it

Pc2003

Visit site
Do you have a water pistol? Seriously - not as messy as half a bucket of water (and I have used that, lol) I have two fillies weaned in one big box, and a colt and a filly in separate boxes next door - though they go out together. Initially the boy & girl were together, but he was a BRUTE to the filly (he's a right tit-bag of a foal.) But definitely jealousy of attention. I would still give some to the other foal and treat aNY signs of aggression, to the other foal - or to the other foals 'mummy' fast with the water pistol. If anyone wonders, the beauty of water pistol (or haf a bucket of water) is it's a shock response that they don't blame YOU for - they just associate it with what they were doing at the time.

Hell, I have a 12 yo mare who arrived back here as a door kicker. Her 'spare' name is BUCKET! It works - even if I haven't actually put the bucket outside her door.

My water pistol has probably been my most valuable tool with my youngster. It solves all sorts of gobby gelding 2 yr old issues!! Honestly op try it! It’s a god send 😂