rabbit shooters

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Having trouble with shooters who have permission to shoot on next door neighbours property. They have been asked to keep away from my back boundry where my stables are, but they disrcard this, today they shot at something behind my stables and frightened the pony I'd brought home yesterday. Had words yet again with my next door neighbours wife as he wasn't home, he turned up 1/2 hour later assured me he would have words with them. Next an hour later they come along my other broundry belonging to next door neighbour, I followed them and saw them shoot a rabbit on my property, now today is the one day I'd not let the horses through onto the paddock they shot the rabbit and my youngster likes to graze round that spot, I've never given them permission to shoot anything on my property and they used just air rifles, so took dead very warm rabbit to next door neighbour and told him to sort it out or I'd be ringing the police. WWYD

Armas

Visit site
Having trouble with shooters who have permission to shoot on next door neighbours property. They have been asked to keep away from my back boundry where my stables are, but they disrcard this, today they shot at something behind my stables and frightened the pony I'd brought home yesterday. Had words yet again with my next door neighbours wife as he wasn't home, he turned up 1/2 hour later assured me he would have words with them. Next an hour later they come along my other broundry belonging to next door neighbour, I followed them and saw them shoot a rabbit on my property, now today is the one day I'd not let the horses through onto the paddock they shot the rabbit and my youngster likes to graze round that spot, I've never given them permission to shoot anything on my property and they used just air rifles, so took dead very warm rabbit to next door neighbour and told him to sort it out or I'd be ringing the police. WWYD

Sorry to hear this, living in France we have to put up with hunters during certain seasons they are very dangerous and often stalk on our land without consent.
It makes me so angry.
Speak to your neighbour and if no joy call the police. Good luck.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I would like to think if they had seen horses in your field they wouldn't have shot the rabbit.
An air rifle is a quiet gun and most have silencers if serious shooters. We have people with shot guns shoot in fields adjoining ours including my OH. I don't mind in all honesty- its good for horses to be used to the noise of bangs but as said before an air rifle shouldn't affect majority of horses. Your New pony is in strange surroundings which won't have helped.
So as for shooting behind stables that wouldn't bother me. I would however have words with the guys myself when i saw them specifically saying not to shoot into your fields- add something loose dogs or cats and it could easily be one of them they get.

mtj

Visit site
I agree with the police advice.

If an injury should occur to either you or your animals or property, a previous police complaint will give more weight to any action you may wish to take.

I don't think your neighbour can be taking this seriously, or the situation would not be continuing.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I would ask to speak to the 'Firearms Officer' at your local police station. They treat incidents with firearms very seriously and this should prompt a visit to your neighbour which will hopefully resolve the issue. If they are shooting rabbits on your land then this is totally illegal.

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
I see this from the other side, having rabbits in my field is a real worry, burrows are potential death threats. So this morning I am off with two shooters to start wiping the little diggers out. One horse and two ponies in field, used to shooters with real guns and our own air rifle so am not in the least concerned about it.

However, nobody should be shooting onto or accross your land, perhaps a letter to neighbour stating that should it happen again you will inform the police. Sadly you can't stop them shooting anywhere they like on their own land, right up to your boundary, as far as i'm aware.

Shay

Visit site
I have no issue with shooting rabbits - as long as it is a clean quick kill. But anyone who would shoot onto neighbouring land, or even allow a bullet over run, is not a responsible shooter. If they are not responsible they may well also not be good enough to kill quick and clean.

My view would be to call the police. An unguarded over-run could have fatal consequences. if not on your land then on someone elses.

CBFan

Visit site
They should not be shooting across your boundary. Speak to your local firearms officer.

You can't stop them shooting on the other side of the fence, but aiming for prey beyond their boundary is dangerous... what if you'd been stood there? or walked across unknowingly?

WelshD

Visit site
I would personally not involve the police as that would do nothing for neighbourly relations at this stage

I'd tell the neighbour that as the shooters are 'contracted' by him to work his land that you will be holding him personally responsible if things go wrong. Said gently and assertively enough this should make him turn white and take you seriously

At this staff he may be too worried to speak with the shooters especially if they are a bit rough round the edges (not saying they all are!) so hammering home that it's him that could be held responsible if there is an accident should hopefully make him scared enough to grow a pair and speak to them