Rabies in the UK

CAYLA

Visit site
I am sure I read an article of a gentleman also contracting it recently whilst on holiday and receiving treatment back here.
Very concerning.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Given the recent thread about the dodgy way in which rescue dogs are being imported from Eastern Europe, frankly not long.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
But there have been cases here in the UK - there was a chap about 10 years ago that got it from working with bats...

Katikins

Visit site
Sorry if I seem ignorant here (I have done no reading into rabies really) but surely if it was to get to the UK it would be with a wild stowaway rather than someone's pet? I know most people over here get the rabies vaccine even if they aren't actually planning to travel (just got Freya's done with her 3 month vaccination - though we had to wait an extra week as if you get it done at 12 weeks you need a booster in another 3 months, whereas if you wait that extra week it lasts 2 years which seems a bit weird to me). And we were given a collar disk which is compulsory to wear on her collar if we leave the Netherlands.

Bit of a ramble there but you know what I mean. I've no idea how strict the checks at the ports etc are. I just figured a stowaway is more likely to bring it in and surely that would have happened by now.

twiglet84

Visit site
I see you are from Netherlands Katikins but whereI am in the UK have NO clients that vaccinate for rabies UNLESS they are travelling. I dont know any vets local to me that do either.

Now that the blood test has been removed from the pet passport scheme i think its all pretty pointless anyway. Ive seen pets fail the blood test and now these pets will be travelling and the owners will not know whether there pet has the correct protection or not.

xx

s4sugar

Visit site
When the pets passport was first introduced we (dog exhibitors & professionals) all thought the risk would be from Fido going off to play in the woods with local wildlife.
The big risk now is from smuggled dogs like the puppy farm puppies with fake passports or the dogs being rescued from overseas pounds being shipped in.
The passport checks at some ports leave much to be desired.