racehorse rehabilitation centres

minesadouble

Visit site
Has anyone ever had a horse from one or do you know someone who has?
If so how educated was it when it was rehomed?
Am tinkering with the idea of looking into getting a horse from one of these places. My last horse was an ex-racer that I got direct from the trainer and he was pretty hard work for about the 1st 6 months I had him (particularly on the roads without company) but turned into a lovely horse (despite the soundness and cribbing issues which I wont go into
tongue.gif
).
but I dion't think I could do those first 6 months again with another one - I have less time & less bottle now than I did 12 years ago!
My boy wasn't a puller and wasn't ridiculously sharp - though he occasionally had his 'silly moments' - so was I lucky with him or are 'quiet' TBs not THAT unusual?
My last 2 horses were TBs (first one hadn't raced was bred as a show hack & was typical chestnut mare) and my current mare is IDxTB and I just can't get away with riding her as she is a bit 'numb' so have been pondering going back to a TB.
Any info appreciated.

Parkranger

Visit site
My boy is a 'quiet' TB - very good with traffic but yes, he has issues (shoeing and generally being an impatient git) but very intelligent.

He's an Irish TB so a bit stockier though - not sure if that's what makes him a bit calmer too.....

Good luck with your search - would you consider a trip to Ireland? You might be able to find a decent dealer out there who can find you a nice Irish TB?

minesadouble

Visit site
My 'sensible' TB was also an Irish TB (by Tender King) & would love another one in the same mould, a trip to Ireland sounds a bit daunting though - Not really looking to compete - just horse to have a bit of fun with really, I'm sure there must be something suitable this side of the water!!

UKa

community.webshots.com
I have a very sensible TB - I also slightly believe that the rumours about crazy TBs only comes from the fact that they are so sensitive and many a time handled insensitively by incompetent people?!?!

Would go for another TB any time

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I sell a lot of horses straight out of racing. Out of all the horses ive sold this year, there isnt one with any 'issues'. I would of happily put a young kid on all of them to hack/school/jump. A young kid may not necessarily have get the best out of them but all were safe and trustworthy.
I have also sent a horse to Greatwood rehab centre, he had an arthritic knee and it was the only way I could guarantee lifelong care for him.
It is all about who you buy off, we have a yard of 20ish in training and there would only be a handfull who wouldnt happily hack out alone and do conventional schooling with an average pilot on board. If you buy off someone reputable ex racehorses with problems are few and far between.

air78

www.ctwequine.com
My TB is very sensible...........and lazy!
laugh.gif

He came to me straight out of racing and has not really had any problems. I think there are lots of sane TB's about, and would have another one happily.

kathrynegray

New User
Visit site
same here my lazy tb came to me straight off the tracks. I've had 4 from the tracks now all excellent stable manners and wonderfully responsive to the voice comands. I am a complete TB convert.

albert

Visit site
mine came straight from the trainer and never had any problems, he is the most perfect horse ever.

I have heard that some of the rehab centers are not very keen on letting them go and getting a horse from them is almost impossible.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Mmm, that was my experience to be honest. Also a lot of the nutters and injured ones end up there as I think many trainers and owners are cottoning onto selling them from the track and make a bit of money, so often it is the really difficult ones that end up there or injured ones that are hard to sell (like Vici's horse with arthritis).