Racehorse Rehabiltation Question

SpaceMolly

Visit site
Thanks!
smile.gif

GTs

Visit site
It really is starting to bother me, all this rehabilitation chatter - I think if people stopped making such a big fuss over the fact they were racehorses, and just treated them like everyday horses there would be far less problems with them.

Nic

Visit site
I don't think rehabilitation as as much the case as retraining, you can't just get on a racehorse and assume it is suddenly going to know what all the different aids mean. So yes they do require special treatment but perhaps the word rehabillitation has all the wrong connotations.

GTs

Visit site
They do, but people blow it out of a proportion - I think people would do far better if they treated them as regular horses of the same skill level, rather than something different.

Nic

Visit site
Agreed, some people do blow it all out of proportion, but when you consider that some are racing at 2 when a "normal" horse probably wouldn't see a saddle until it was 3 I think it is understandable that they have a reputation for being quirky.

I am considering looking for one just now, but trying to work out if it is remotely possible with no facilities
smirk.gif

k9h

Visit site
North Farm Stud set up HEROS (Homing of ex racehorses)
Grace does sale & loan. They have all been schooled whilst at her's so they are not fresh of the track.

http://www.northfarmstud.com/rehoming.php

She is very helpfull & wont let a horse go if she thinks it is unsuitable for that person.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It really is starting to bother me, all this rehabilitation chatter - I think if people stopped making such a big fuss over the fact they were racehorses, and just treated them like everyday horses there would be far less problems with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.....had five of the buggers - If I include Ernie, treated them like everything else and they've all been brill to clip, load, shoe, hunt, jump, catch...bla bla bla.

I do think you have to know what makes them tick though, in the wrong hands there could be problems.

SpaceMolly

Visit site
Is this aimed at me? If so I am merely interested. I have had two myself which were sold to me privately and I re-schooled them both myself. Infact I still own one of them, who at 17 is now retired. I was just interested in how they worked and finding out more about them.

Scarlett

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup - completely agree. I reschooled my 4 yo exracer the same way I schooled my ISH. All your doing is teaching it new aids to listen too. I understand that some older horses that had raced for a few years would be more difficult, however we'd not think twice about trying to teach an older dressage/jumping/hacking horse a new discipline, why not an exracer....? yes some can be quirky, but same can be said for any breed, my old welsh cob was a far more difficult ride than my tb, at least the tb has brakes...!

I hate 'rehabilitation' such a horrible word... it puts people off before they have had the chance to see what it entails....

anywho - am off before i start ranting ........

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh good, Thank you. I just didn't want anyone to think I am a typical 'bunny hugger'
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Don't think anyone thinks that..well I don't anyhow.

severnmiles

Visit site
I agree Scarlett, re. the older racehorse thing. My sister bought a gelding out of racing at 10y.o, he won the novice at Cheltenham 2years later, so it just shows even the older horses can do it. We think nothing of switching an ex eventer to BSJA or a showjumper to dressage or the hunting field so I don't see why it should be any different for them.

izzyxxx

Visit site
there is an actuall thoroughbred rehabiltation centre i saw them do a demo at your horse live a while back really good actually i am sure if you google search it it will give you info they had a couple of racehorses at the demo and they had worked with them to find out there strong points and one of them was an amazing jumper so it might be wort a look

xfeex

Visit site
I got mine from newmarket. here is EB when he first came to us-
DSCF0023.jpg

and this is EB at the British Elite in september doing the Hacks!-
11eb001-1.jpg

11eb1.jpg

11eb11.jpg

11eb.jpg

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
I bought my daughter an ex race horse in October - he had only stopped racing in August. She is 16 and reasonably experienced. Apart from a couple of weeks of lameness - which was probably due to shoe issues - he has been fantastic. He has a lovely nature and responds very well to lessons. He has not had any retraining or rehabilitation.