Racing injuries

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Now this is by no means a debate, I watch the racing on Saturdays, but why oh why are we seeing so many horrific leg breaks between fences. And not just small ones, absolutely catastrophic

I swear it never used to be this bad?

Orangehorse

Visit site
I agree with you, there seem to be far more than in the past, I noticed it last season too. Once it was incredibly rare - now?

I wish someone would do a study to see if there is any connection to training surfaces. Nearly every trainer has a deep sand track, and all of them would have an all weather gallop, and have done for years. But how many regularly gallop on grass. I know it is difficult, the last thing a trainer wants to do is injure a horse in training and grass can be too dry/too wet, etc.

But most of them would practice jumping on grass, surely?

But it reminds me when I had a horse that wasn't going all that well in dressage practice at home in the field then I went for a lesson in an arena and she turned into a different horse, I couldn't believe it. Similarly, a dressage judge I was writing for told me the opposite. Having an arena at home she went to compete on grass and the horse went so badly she got the vet to have a look at it there and then as she thought something was wrong.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Exactly, why have they not commissioned a study into why its happening, they say they are very hot on welfare so surely a welfare issue like this needs investigating?

Dostol Phil on Saturday was an example of a complete and utter catastrophic injury, on the flat. I was only half watching as I had the f1 on the main screen, but saw the leg. apparently the jockey didn't seem happy, so why not pull up?

But half the time, there doesn't even seem to be a cause, such as a trip etc the leg just "goes".

You're right it was the same last season too. It seems to be a mix of horses too. Id be interested re breeding, why are flat bred horses being sent jumping (not saying there's a link) surely they are built differently I bet very few of the flat breds look like Denman for example. What's the difference in bone structure?

Also, flat horses are raced so early, surely their skeleton not being allowed to form properly before being subjected to training, then being sent over jumps which they aren't bred for can't help?

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think that a study in Australia found that horses that were in training early as 2 year olds were "sounder" (if that is a word!) than those that were not exercised until later, something about the stresses made the bones stronger.

Still, I would like to know that there is a study being done.

stangs

Visit site
I believe that studies suggest musculoskeletal injury rates decrease when horses are started earlier as the bone adapts to deal with the greater stress. But a harness racing study I read, whose data supported the above, also suggested that though musculoskeletal injury rates were lower, the probability of a breakdown or career ending injury were higher among young horses. I suspect that the same applies here - especially with flat bred TBs that look like they have less bone than their NH bred counterparts. So less likely to stand up to the stress.

I’m sure surface has a lot to do with it. I’m also wondering whether turnout does too? Being stuck in a stable most of the day certainly won’t benefit their bone density.

Fanatical

Visit site
I have been wondering this too. I'm an avid NH racing fan and watch most that is on TV and have seen multiple of these horrendous catastrophic leg fractures. One happened once just after the horse crossed a sanded road crossing and I couldn't help wonder about the sudden change in surface.
But Dostal Phil's was particularly horrific as it appeared to be above the hock. How does that just happen without a trauma, when just galloping along?! Very sad and must be so traumatic for those closely involved with the horse.

Birker2020

Visit site
I wish someone would do a study to see if there is any connection to training surfaces. Nearly every trainer has a deep sand track, and all of them would have an all weather gallop, and have done for years. But how many regularly gallop on grass. I know it is difficult, the last thing a trainer wants to do is injure a horse in training and grass can be too dry/too wet, etc.

There are studies but because they are undertaken by Animal Aid people don't want to know.
1639480739156.png1639481032406.png
https://www.animalaid.org.uk/186-race-horses-killed-in-2019/

And there was a horse who died who was aged UNDER TWO! Shocking. Totally inexperienced, what a total waste and disregard of a life.
Cheltenham used to have a bad reputation as the landings were lower than the take offs, giving a false step to horses.

You can filter the racecourses by going, so good, firm, heavy, soft, etc. As well as by course and jockey.
The average 2.29 horses dying every day don't include those pts at a later date away from the racecourse.

1639481781347.pngOff a twitter post

Last edited:

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I used to go to the Atherstone Pt-to-Pt back in the late 60's. One year I remember a big chestnut called Freeby Wood broke a foreleg on the turn at the top of the hill. Goodness know how that happened, he was a big strong horse and would have had to be a qualified hunter so well used to uneven grass and varying terrain. Sometimes these things just happen.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I have been wondering this too. I'm an avid NH racing fan and watch most that is on TV and have seen multiple of these horrendous catastrophic leg fractures. One happened once just after the horse crossed a sanded road crossing and I couldn't help wonder about the sudden change in surface.
But Dostal Phil's was particularly horrific as it appeared to be above the hock. How does that just happen without a trauma, when just galloping along?! Very sad and must be so traumatic for those closely involved with the horse.

It was most likely the superficial digital flexor tendon that dislocated off the hock rather than a dislocation of a joint which does not happen in adult horses but can in newborn foals. Tendon slipping off the hock happens at gallop according to a vet friend. It depends how the tendon has slipped as to its recoverability which is via box rest.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I was at Cheltenham but did not see it on the big screen coverage and happened at the furthest part of the course from the grandstands. The commentary just said he had pulled up. The ITV coverage must have been different as there was both Racing TV and ITV cameras on site.

Andie02

Visit site
Race horses in general have such spindly flimsy legs these days compared to years ago, even the NH horses, I think that this has a lot to do with the problems, this and the ground conditions. It always makes me wonder, and cringe, when seeing these horses with such little bone how on earth can they carry the weight and go through the heavy ground or cope with firmer ground. Commodore trained by Venetia and ridden by Charlie Deutsch, who won last Saturday at Cheltenham, has a lot more bone and is more of an old fashioned type. His dam is French as is his dam's sire French, the sire is Fragrant Mix, an Irish stallion. You don't see many of his type racing these days. I am not inferring anything about the breeding of this horse, just pointing out that times have changed from the old fashioned sorts to now.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I was very surprised just how slight a lot of the horses were at Cheltenham especially for NH horses. It make a huge difference when you see them up close and in the flesh.

Mule

Visit site
I think a lot of breakdowns are due to refractures of previous injuries that haven't fully healed. There was a lot of research done in US racing recently because the horses were dropping like flies during races.

There were multiple contributing factors but refractures was one. Interestingly, there are also some thoroughbred lines that are prone to breakdown. Extensive breeding within those lines leads to worse outcomes.

Last edited:

stangs

Visit site
Interestingly, there are also some thoroughbred lines that are prone to breakdown. Extensive breeding within those lines leads to worse outcomes.
If I remember correctly, this was the case with Ruffian's breeding, wasn't it? In which case, there's no better example than her of horses being bred for talent rather than longevity.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I got taken to watch racing as a small child and a horse broke it's neck falling on landing after a fence right in front of us. I've never been again.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
would have had to be a qualified hunter so well used to uneven grass and varying terrain

I don't know anyone who risked their point to pointers actually hunting in any serious way. They used to hack along together at the back of the field for the minimum amount of time then get their card signed and go home.

Fanatical

Visit site
It was most likely the superficial digital flexor tendon that dislocated off the hock rather than a dislocation of a joint which does not happen in adult horses but can in newborn foals. Tendon slipping off the hock happens at gallop according to a vet friend. It depends how the tendon has slipped as to its recoverability which is via box rest.

Ah ok. Just with the way the leg was freely swinging around as he was pulled up, it looked like a clean break above the hock. Either way, grim and very sad.

Birker2020

Visit site
Ah ok. Just with the way the leg was freely swinging around as he was pulled up, it looked like a clean break above the hock. Either way, grim and very sad.
Pathetically sad image that I am struggling to get out of my head.
I know its a very personal choice, but I simply hate racing due to the horrific accidents. All you can hope is that they have enough adrenalin pumping through them until their ultimate demise that they feel minimal pain.