Racing Peeps

Parkranger

Visit site
Hi,

Just wondering if there's any truth that alot of TB's are exercised with sheets on in the winter to keep them calm? Someone mentioned that Ty's sillyness may be due to the fact that he would have always had an exercise sheet on as a racer to stop the wind going up his tail and keep the chill off.

Old wives tale or is there truth in it?

x

icklechlo

Visit site
no idea if its to keep them calm, but usually if a string is riding out they all have sheets on, means you can identify them, and also keeps them a bit warmer in the winter i suppose!

happyhack

Visit site
I worked in newmarket for 6 months a couple of years ago and i never heard of that. we used to put them on to stop them getting cold

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Like all athletes they need to keep their muscles warm and relaxed so that any sudden exertion doesn't harm them so exercise sheets are a way of helping with this as it also keeps the back muscles and body warm while they are walking home cooling off. The last thing they need is a chill on their loins.
They don't use them as a means to identyfying them but usually each string will have their own colours which does make it much smarter too. Used to be much harder for the tipsters to identify anything when everything would be in the Newmarket stripe sheets than it is now!
smirk.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I worked in newmarket for 6 months a couple of years ago and i never heard of that. we used to put them on to stop them getting cold

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I mean - she was saying that in keeping him warm and stopping the wind going up his tail he'd be less likely to be like a coiled spring.....probably give it a go. It's no fun riding tigger!

Weezy

Visit site
But but but an exercise sheet wont go over the tail anyway, so I dont know how THAT works!

Also even with a fillet string, the sheet can and WILL lift if the wind gets under it, so make sure you use a heavy one - otherwise Tigger will go skywards!

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also even with a fillet string, the sheet can and WILL lift if the wind gets under it, so make sure you use a heavy one - otherwise Tigger will go skywards!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I thought! He was much better yesterday (went out on my own) but we did have one buck after cantering (wanted to chase the deer that ran out in front of us - odd horse) and as we came back over the common he started to fizz up so before it got bad, I got off, had a walk, ate some grass (Ty not me) then made him stand still while I got back on and we plodded home. Could see his adrenalin level dropping again.

Think I just need to keep the little sod confused as to what we're doing!
grin.gif