Racing people; Corners/bends on Gallops

seabiscuit

Visit site
Ok sorry if this seems like a reallly stupid question!!When you gallop a racehorse on the gallops and you go round a corner/bend, how much should you do to get it to bend? Or should you not attempt to bend the horse at all and just let it follow the track? Or should you somehow get inside leg to outside hand? Or just *coughs* pull the inside rein?

Any other tips(apart from the obvious!)on galloping racehorses would be most appreciated!

serena2005

Visit site
not a clue!! sorry to be no help its a very good point though!! i would have thought you let them follow the track, from people i know having ex-racers they only know leg means GO!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Simple answer to your question, how do you get it to bend? you don't!!

Ok, i've never ridden in a race, but i gallop enough of them every day!!

No, you don't use your inside leg round the bend, or ride from inside leg to outside hand!!
Or pull on the inside rein!

For a start your irons are alot shorter than what you're used to!!
You always have your reins bridged too!! (know what i mean?) ie not just the left rein in the left hand, the right rein in the right hand..

I find you can do alot just on body weight/balance, where you put it and what you do with it!

So going round a tight bend, you want to balence the horse, obviously not in the same way you'd ride a 10m circle in a dressage arena!!
Don't think i can explain how tho
crazy.gif

Are you off to ride out for a trainer then??

seabiscuit

Visit site
Ahh brilliant thanks MDM I know exactly what you mean-thats the way I thought it was done but just wasnt sure!!

Was riding a horse for Mary Gordon Waston this morning- they break in yearlings/get horses half fit for the trainers- they just had an oval canter track,which I was on, and just didnt know what to do every time I went round the corner (where Mary& co were watching)-so the horse looked unbalanced every time I was right in front of Mary- great ! Will know what to do now though for next time- thank you! whispers * I forgot to bridge my reins too*
blush.gif
blush.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Best tip is not to pull, use your balance to settle the horse and keep your knees off the saddle. If one takes a grip draw your ass back, tip your weight forward over your hands. Bury them in the wither and let the horse pull against itself.
If you have one that doesnt know how to corner you should be riding it long anyway - teaching them is no different.
Keeping your knees of the saddle means your leg is on at all times, sending them forward, plus when they duck and dive all you have to do is put your knee on to right your balance - instead of going out the side door.
BP is a good bloke, im sure hell help you loads. Dont be afraid to ask his advice if youre not sure.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Was riding a horse for Mary Gordon Waston this morning- they break in yearlings/get horses half fit for the trainers- they just had an oval canter track,which I was on, and just didnt know what to do every time I went round the corner (where Mary& co were watching)-so the horse looked unbalanced every time I was right in front of Mary- great!

[/ QUOTE ]

2yr olds are a bit different.. i tend to ride them a bit longer to start with.. they have no idea what to do, so you need to help them along.. send it forwards and bring it back again a few times within the gallop, when you can get them going forwards properly, ballance will be alot easier!
You know what it's like trying to explain the use of your seat to someone who thinks to make a horse go, you kick it, and to slow it down, you pull on the reins?? well riding up the gallops is the same, where you put your body weight/how you use your ballence is kinda the same!
You should be able to pull up at the end of the gallop without having to pull on the horses mouth at all!!

Parkranger

Visit site
Surely the technique to riding on gallops is the same to riding normally? ie bearing down to stop, using your body/shoulders to turn etc.....

I've never ridden youngsters though...

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
wow seabiscuit you are so lucky when I worked for H Morrison we sent a lot of our breakers to Mary G-W it is so nice there and Brendan Powell is literally 10 mins from my place.
As MissDeMeena and vicijp said keep you knees in and bridge your reins and yes two year old in my experience do tend to require a longer length of stirrup leather to teach them to go forwards and aid staying on!!! I have seen loads of lads on 2 y o hanging off their mouths as their stirrups are too short and the lads can't balance let alone the horse and then the horse rearing as the don't know how to go forwards.
Guess you've had a fair bit of experience in the racing saddle but if you want to practice on an experienced horse I can give you a hand pm me

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Also, kicking in the good old fashioned pony club way, isn't going to teach your average 2yr old to go forwards (have you ever seen a jockey pony club kicking? haha)
You want to be changing your hands, and moving your legs back abit and squeezing!
Coming from the eventing world i've always used my leg on or around the girth!! But have now understood that letting your lower leg slip back and squeezing back there is more effective!
You want the horse to lengthen itself out, to encourage it to stretch forwards!! But while still pushing from behind!!

Clodagh

Visit site
This is really interesting. Although my ned is 5 she has done nothing and now we are trying to gallop...well!! A longish canter is the best we have managed!! I shall shorten my stirrups and dig her in different places!!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
depends on what your ned is??
if it's a TB that you're aiming to race, then give it a go..
If you're aiming to event it, or show it, or something else, i would just give it time!! Let it work these things out for itself, no hurry!!
Also take it hunting!!
wink.gif
smile.gif

Clodagh

Visit site
She is my new hunter! I'm sure that will teach her to go on!
In company she canters on well, but on her own...yawn!!

peapod

Visit site
I'm finding this really interesting as well - I, for the first time EVER, managed to get my 5 year old hairy native to gallop in the school the other day. I'm hoping we'll have the opportunity to go on some gallops in the near future - in the meantime I shall also try squeezing in different places!

dizzydolly

Visit site
Hi seabiscuit, how are you? BP will have stronger horses than Mrs Mac, be warned!!
grin.gif
Seriously, if you want to come over and ride mine again, let me know, I only have 3 big brown geldings at the mo, another one to come but dont know what thats like, so unfortunately nothing easy, but you'll learn quicker that way!! Also, they need hunting, so get in touch!

I am starting to ride out about 5 every morning for a local trainer, then back to do mine, so am going to be riding about 9 a day over the winter
crazy.gif
I shall be sick of the site of them come June!!

So let me know if you fancy a canter some afternoons!
smile.gif