Racing school or straight to the yard?

Horseperson432

Visit site
I am 18 years old and am looking to do some work on a racing yard for the next year and a half (and then carry on or potentially go to uni and come back to it after). I am fairly experienced with dealing with different horses, have had a job working as a hunt groom and have competed a lot including team chasing etc. I am lucky to have horses, and am used to riding those who are hot headed. However I am fully aware that I still have loads and loads to learn, that’s part of the reason I want to do it (to improve in knowledge and as a rider) and whilst I am used to being around horses know how different and hard life on a race yard.
What I am struggling to decide is would I be better off going to the British racing school first and getting onto a yard that way or going straight to work on a yard? I am luck to be in the position where I could do both but would hate to be a hinderance on a yard due to not knowing the ropes! But at the same time visited the BRS for a week last year and gathered that whilst it does replicate racing yards it’s not the same.

any other ideas/ advice about what life is like an a yard would be hugely appreciated too!! Thank you:)

ihatework

Visit site
If you are thinking a career in racing then consider BRS. If it’s just short term yard and riding experience then I’d go straight to a yard

Horseperson432

Visit site
If you are thinking a career in racing then consider BRS. If it’s just short term yard and riding experience then I’d go straight to a yard
That’s great advice, thank you. I would love a career in racing but will definitely try and head to uni after a year out so I have some thing to fall back on and hopefully re enter racing after! Thanks