Racing this weekend

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Well….. I have to say it’s because I deliberately didn’t back him….. every time I back Aidan’s horses they lose 😱

Aidan is an absolute legend, love him!

humblepie

Visit site

humblepie

Visit site
I haven't watched it but have read about it. Horrific for any horse or animal to be treated that way but particularly awful where a racehorse who has done a job and then been discarded. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry. All British racehorses are signed out of the food chain now but there is no doubt tampering of records by unscrupulous people. The BHA along with other equine sports and welfare organisations are pushing for digitial only passports.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Shark Hanlon, Luke Comer and Philip Rothwell from what I found on twitter 🙁 disgusting.

Urgh I thought Shark was one of the good ones

I always wonder what happens to the "rejects" from a certain big flat yard, they only want the best and sacrifice some as pacemakers etc, so their results aren't going to be good enough for breeding so what then? They have so many there must be wastage

I like that Godolphin have a rehoming scheme

There should be visible tracking of where every horse goes after racing, certainly the first destination at least

humblepie

Visit site
Urgh I thought Shark was one of the good ones

I always wonder what happens to the "rejects" from a certain big flat yard, they only want the best and sacrifice some as pacemakers etc, so their results aren't going to be good enough for breeding so what then? They have so many there must be wastage

I like that Godolphin have a rehoming scheme

There should be visible tracking of where every horse goes after racing, certainly the first destination at least

While life tracking is an aim but as with everything presumably will need people to provide information on sales etc. Quite a lot of flat horses get sold abroad where they have some form - how they can continue to be monitored then I don’t know.

TheMule

Visit site
I haven't seen it however I know those who have. Regardless of whether or not horses should or should not go to abattoir any animal who does should be treated calmly and with dignity - the slaughter house has a lot to answer for.

Absolutely, and I hope it doesn’t turn into an anti-slaughter campaign rather than an anti-abuse campaign, because good animal welfare relies on good options for dispatch, and it is very possible to have high welfare slaughter.

IMO the problem is the over-breeding at the lower end of the ranks and treating success as a numbers game. There simply aren’t the homes for bin-end TBs to have a quality of life outside of racing. Add in injuries/ temperament issues and there needs to be a more practical solution.

photo_jo

Visit site
IMO the problem is the over-breeding at the lower end of the ranks and treating success as a numbers game. There simply aren’t the homes for bin-end TBs to have a quality of life outside of racing. Add in injuries/ temperament issues and there needs to be a more practical solution.
To be fair from what I understand there were quite a few coloured cobs as well, some was to do with fraudulent sale activity, removing chips and re-passporting etc etc to sell to Europe as an Irish sport horse rather than a TB which is hardly the fault of the breeder. I still believe racehorses have a better life than many equines, particularly the good doers. I hate seeing them in bare 20x40m paddocks with no shade, a bucket of water and mindless tedium

humblepie

Visit site
To be fair from what I understand there were quite a few coloured cobs as well, some was to do with fraudulent sale activity, removing chips and re-passporting etc etc to sell to Europe as an Irish sport horse rather than a TB which is hardly the fault of the breeder. I still believe racehorses have a better life than many equines, particularly the good doers. I hate seeing them in bare 20x40m paddocks with no shade, a bucket of water and mindless tedium

A few years back friend bought an Irish Sports horse from a dealer - she bought with no passport as was told had been lost. I thought looked suspiciously like an ex racehorse. When she had his vaccinations done vet found micro chip and was a racehorse that had been sold through Ascot sales a couple of months previously. The more ex racehorses get value as competition horses the better - I’d always go for a TB over an ISH.

teapot

Visit site
Four dead at one racecourse yesterday, not good :(

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site

toppedoff

Visit site

Really don't agree with this- last raced 2021

Not much of a "family pet" if you're willing to risk him like that. Apparently doing it for the "love" of the horse...
There was an incident like that a few months ago where a horse didn't run for about 3 years, suddenly ran and broke down 😕

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
There was an incident like that a few months ago where a horse didn't run for about 3 years, suddenly ran and broke down 😕

There was one with Lion or something in the name, went for stud came back after about 5 years, ran a couple of races and broke down

This one's running over hurdles too, an extra risk 😔

Snowfilly

Visit site
Mon Storm pulled up. Can’t see Irish stewards reports so not sure if anything about his run.

He looked weary to me, if I hadn’t known about his long break, I wouldn’t have thought anything of it. The ground was bottomless and there were some very tired horses around.