Racing today- Mankib, at Haydock

suffolkmare

Visit site
Just watching on catch up. Mankib reared in the stalls as the gates opened, hitting his head, and just after a ? buck which almost unseated and injured jockey Jim Crowley. Female commentator (name escapes me!) said “it’s a good job it was the horse’s head, not the rider’s”.....is that acceptable? Sorry but I don’t think so. Yes it was good Jim wasn’t hurt, but he has a helmet on for this reason. The horse doesn’t, and didn’t look alright, I believe has had to go to vets for assessment - any updates from those of you in the know? At least they said the bars above the horses are padded, but years back I witnessed the head injury that sadly took Ryan’s Son, their skulls aren’t that solid 😢.

Visit site
The horse probably has a cut and/or a lump and a headache! It was a nasty incident and luckily neither were badly injured. Jim wisely cantered back home. He had lost too much ground to bother trying to catch up and be competetive.

Clodagh

Visit site
Just watching on catch up. Mankib reared in the stalls as the gates opened, hitting his head, and just after a ? buck which almost unseated and injured jockey Jim Crowley. Female commentator (name escapes me!) said “it’s a good job it was the horse’s head, not the rider’s”.....is that acceptable? Sorry but I don’t think so. Yes it was good Jim wasn’t hurt, but he has a helmet on for this reason. The horse doesn’t, and didn’t look alright, I believe has had to go to vets for assessment - any updates from those of you in the know? At least they said the bars above the horses are padded, but years back I witnessed the head injury that sadly took Ryan’s Son, their skulls aren’t that solid 😢.

I agree they shouldn't say things like that. When they say' Better a horse died than a jockey' is it really? Jockeys know the risks and take part in full awareness. I would not wish injury on eiher horse or rider but at best it is a silly and insensitive thing to say.
I love racing BTW.

suffolkmare

Visit site
Thanks you for responding. I think it was an error for her to make that comment on TV, it didn’t sound good, and maybe she regrets wording it as if the horse didn’t matter. Hopefully neith Mankib nor JC are sore this morning. I reckon Mankib will need some TLC to cope with the stalls before his next outing, if he gets one.

Visit site
Race 4 - 3:35pm
THE BETWAY JOHN OF GAUNT STAKES (CLASS 1) (Group 3)

Following the race, Jim Crowley reported that MANKIB, which started second favourite and finished unplaced, reared as the stalls opened and banged its head on the stalls, and he therefore brought the colt home in its own time; the Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of MANKIB revealed the colt sustained an injury to its head and was bleeding from one nostril.