Racing Two-year-olds

Stella

Visit site
I don't have much interest in racing, so, other than the National, I don't watch it. However, it happened to be on when I switched the TV on this afternoon and as they were talking about two-year-olds, I watched for a while. I have to say it troubles me The fillies (to my comparitive inexperienced eye) looked so watchful and uncertain before the race. During the race, there seemed to be a liberal use of the whip by the jockeys in contention. I hoped it was used against fresh air, not flesh and I know the Jockey Club keeps watch on that. Even so, it must be a frightening beginning for such babies

I have read the arguements about whether or not two-year-old TBs are physically developed enough for racing not to be damaging, but it was the psychological aspect that struck me

JustKickOn

Visit site
I'm not sure about the physical or phychological aspect of racing, but I know that Jockeys now have to use cushioned whips for racing (and for training as far as I know). And also, the jockeys wave the stick in the air a bit and are not smacking for every stride, although they do smack the horse.

Hope that made some sense.

L x

MagicMelon

Visit site
I hate the idea. The thought of 2yr old who really are still real babies being put into that situation is appalling IMO. 2yr olds should still be out playing in fields! A busy race track would be stressful enough for an older horse, let alone a baby. Great way to ruin a young horse immediately.

What is the actual reason for using such young horses?? Surely they arent pysically developed enough yet and would gallop faster once a bit older? It totally baffles me.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I have no problem with two year olds racing after all the TB does mature at a much earlier age than a warmblood and having worked with dressage horses and racehorses IMO the racehorses go out in a string, run as a herd in a straight line, this is normal for most horses and going to a racecourse is not much different to going showing. What I have a problem with is people breaking in 3 yo warmbloods using draw reins, never hacking them out and forcing them into outlines well before they are mature. We have kept a lot of our 2 year old fillies out of training at home this year as they are just not mentally mature to go into training and most big owners do this. They go out in their fields and are ridden once a day and lead a very happy life. Some two year olds are rushed a little as their owners want a swift return on their investment.
As for race riding, this is one of the most heavily policed sport, every jockey is scrutinised during a race for abuse. A jockey will often 'show' a horse the whip to help with steering as you don't can't you legs and reins too much. This is especially the case on green horses that haven't raced much. Most horses are well prepared at home, practising running in groups, swopping lead file at a speed and loading into the stalls.
You see far worse at local shows and behind the scenes at many competition yards.