Ragwort worry

Marilyn

Visit site
Hi there. I hope someone has some useful advice. I was putting my horse in her night field and was on muck patrol when I spotted a flowering ragwort. The area where I live has a lot of ragwort and although I do try and keep on top of it, the damn stuff still manages to grow (despite the drought). Anyway, I went over and pulled it up and saw, on the ground next to it a ragwort stalk. I don't know where it had come from (as it wasn't the plant I'd pulled up) and the top of it wasn't ripped, more stripped to about 3-4 inches. I can't see where it came from, but I know that the owners of the field have a ragwort heap at the back of their muck heap (which is in the same field as my horse but she can't get to it) what should I do? Mare looks really well and happy, do you think one of these detoxing suppliments might be a good precaution? I know I sound totally incompetant but I really do try and keep both of my horses safe.

JaneMBE

Visit site
There is a caterpillar that eats Ragwort (quite efficeintly!) They strip it down to nothing, maybe you had a couple of rogue ones who have now wandered off to find more.

My Harley had (has) liver damage from Ragwort and has currently been a year in good health with a very extreme diet.
If you are worried, get some BLK from Naf, it is excellent and wont do anything other than good.

Sparklet

Visit site
Agree with this - I went on a ragwort patrol in field neighbouring my horses grazing which is left as set-aside. Lots of ragwort dug up and each peice was covered in fairly large catapillers.

I suspect the catapillers have eaten the ragwort as horses rarely do unless dried in hay. Dont worry.

OWLIE185

Visit site
I have found the best way to permanently kill ragwort is to spray it with Barrier H and give it a second application a few days later. Then about a week later remove it and put it in a black refuse sack so that I do not spread the seeds over the pasture. Each Ragwort plant produces about 60,000 seeds! I put electric fence posts around the treated ragwort to prevent horse getting at it once it has been sprayed. That way you will kill the roots off. If you pull it up the roots will regenerate and form a new plant. Ragwort only flowers every second year.

Best practice is to burn Ragwort so that you destroy all the seeds.

Marilyn

Visit site
Thank you for all your help. I will look into the BLK as suggested, you're probably right, I will keep a really close eye on her but I really did kick myself, you try and keep them safe, I got to huge extremes to make sure my hay is clean from ragwort and then this happens! Thanks though, you've put my mind at ease, you're a good bunch!