RAGWORT

Capriole

Visit site
the field opposite my new house is a yellow sea of ragwort, and i was wondering waht to do about it, as i dont want it spreading further, to my horses new field.

ive just looked at the DEFRA website for advice, and they say to

"approach the owner/ occupier of the land on which the weeds are growing and ask them to take steps to clear the weeds. In the vast majority of cases the owner/ occupier of the land will normally react positively."

UM, NO!! the field is used by some pikeys who will kick me up the ass for daring to speak to them! quite unrealistic advice in this case, i think...

any advice?

Folara

Visit site
Download the complaint form and send it to DEFRA.

Contact the local council authority that covers the area that the land is in and remind them of the dangers of ragwort and that if your fields become infected you will expect them to pay for any removal of the plant and any damage caused. Remind them of the Act that covers this - info on the DEFRA website.

Good luck - we have a similar problem near here.

Capriole

Visit site
i dont even think it could be hand puled theres so much of it it doesnt leave room for actual grass. the pikeys graze their ponys/foals in it during the winter but seem to have left it for the summer. im not kidding it looks like a field of rape!

Capriole

Visit site
thanks folara, that sounds more like it (dont relish getting my ass kicked
smile.gif
)

Sparklet

Visit site
If the field is used by errr 'pikeys' it doenst mean that they own it and it is down to the owner to take steps to clear the ragwort. I contacted the local council's Land Regsitery dept to find out who owned the land when I was concerned about a field covered in ragwort which had horses grazing on it.

It actually belonged to the council so I asked them to remove it. They said they would see what they could do, so I reminded them that they had an obligation to deal with it.

No action was taken so I completed the DEFRA complaint form which is an absolute laugh. It states on the form if it is not completed completely they will do nothing and just return it.

Well I filled in all the bits except who owned the neighbouring fields and what their use was because I thought that horses grazing on the field I was complaining about would force them to act. How wrong was I, they returned the form and said I had to determine who owned the neighbouring land and state its use.

I gave up.

Capriole

Visit site
thats ridiculous! how would anyone know who owns every bit of neighborouging land and its use!

from what you and folara say it seems like a lot of hassle, when it is supposed to be against the law to allow the spread of ragwort! if it wasnt for it spreading to my field (which is pulled regularly) and the poor ponies who spend the winter in there, id think sod it!

_jetset_

Visit site
Why don't you phone DEFRA and explain your concerns. I think more needs to be done for this to be honest. I see so many fields full of Ragwort and don't know what to do about them because firstly I don't know who they belong to, and secondly because I don't think farmers/land owners are going to be too appreciative about someone going telling them what they should be doing with their land. I think it is more DEFRA's job to speak to owners etc rather than those who are concerned for their own horse's health!

pocket

Visit site
It makes you laugh doesn't it, we are supposed to report ragwort and nothing is done. The FULL livery yard opposite my yard is full of it and has ponies grazing around it, all looking emaciated and for sale!!!!!!!

Why are people so inconsiderate?

Capriole

Visit site
i dont think members of the public should be given the responsibility of confronting land owners either, it is potentially dangerous for a start.