Rain!! Hurrah!!

indie1282

Visit site
As much as I love the sun we have been having I must admit I was rather please to wake up this morning to heavy rain. Our fields are brown, scorched and dusty. The horses are hot and fed up with flies, as am I!

Would be happy with a day of this to get things growing a bit then back to warm sun please 😁

indie1282

Visit site
Oh wow, I'm envious, are you in the South West? We've no rain forecast for the next 2 weeks and everything's rock hard and bone dry.

Yes in Cornwall 😊 Although it's starting to look like Spain at the moment as it's so dry and dusty!

little_critter

Visit site
It’s not made it to us in east Somerset. And no rain forecast for the next week either. The ground is like concrete, the fields are brown and I’m fed up trying to keep my garden watered. I suppose on the plus side there was no hay making rain roulette, though whether they will get a second cut is concerning, I guess the grass won’t be growing now.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Lucky you .
We are desperate for rain .
Grass crops here are yielding 20% less than last year so unless the weather changes and there’s still time for that to happen forage will be short this winter .
Between that and the issues with food for shavings and pellets it may be a difficult winter .

blitznbobs

Visit site
Lucky you .
We are desperate for rain .
Grass crops here are yielding 20% less than last year so unless the weather changes and there’s still time for that to happen forage will be short this winter .
Between that and the issues with food for shavings and pellets it may be a difficult winter .

I'm from a farming community and there is something every year... we always seem to survive!

windand rain

Visit site
Hay yield here is a lot higher than normal and better quality as its been dry not even a shower. Think anout 20% more off fields locally so it should balance out

Snowfilly

Visit site
Also in Cornwall and so glad to see rain after watching the fire on Carn Marth last night.

The ponies are all stood out in it, and I went and joined them in t-shirt and shorts for a bit. Feels so good to be cool again!

Clodagh

Visit site
I WANT RAIN! The man that has our hay says that there will be no second cut this year, which will have an impact. It is lovely hay though.

Mrs B

Visit site
Also South West and we have rain but barely enough to dampen the ground - rain properly if you're going to, dangnabit!!

Shooting Star

Visit site
I want rain! (Can’t believe I’m saying that after the winter that we had) ... but our forecast for the next 2 weeks is bone dry and temperatures of 26c - 30c :eek3:

Gazen

Visit site
Hoping for some rain soon as we have our haylage done from the first cut but we need some rain, nothing major, a small shower every day so that we can get a second cut this year.

SEL

Visit site
I'm jealous! Fields are brown, can't keep on top of watering the veggies and the arena is like riding through sand dunes. we've got hose restrictions threatened too.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I WANT RAIN! The man that has our hay says that there will be no second cut this year, which will have an impact. It is lovely hay though.

we never get a second cut lol. very heartening to see all the local farmers getting their hay in this week.we last had rain during the storm that came in two weeks ago-before that we had some heavy showers two weeks apart and before then, nothing for about 4 weeks-very unusual for Scotland!the amount of horseflies also unusual for Scotland-worried that if I order a ride-on fly sheet though I'll cause the weather to break :D

Mrs B

Visit site
It's been pouring here for over an hour now *tries to send rain clouds up to everyone else*

skint1

Visit site
Hoping for some rain soon as we have our haylage done from the first cut but we need some rain, nothing major, a small shower every day so that we can get a second cut this year.

I hope we get that too, it worries me if we get no second cut because then we'll be short coming into winter (not a farmer, just an interested party)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
dry as a bone here in suffolk, we will have to start feeding hay in the field soon which is unheard of in summer, our fields are getting more brown each day!!!!

WandaMare

Visit site
Has just started here south of Bristol, heard some thunder in the distance and then the tap tap of heavy raindrops hitting the leaves in the garden, lovely, can't wait for all the dusty soil in the fields to get a good soaking.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We need it so bad here. I live where the moor fires are, it's normally so wet here, we need a good few days of rain to get these fires out. We deserved a good summer, but this is a bit too much.

I'm hoping if we got a good dose of rain the grass may grow enough for a late second cut.

It must rain soon - it's neatly school holidays, it always rains then!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Oh good grief it was only 5 minutes ago that everyone was moaning about too much rain, not being able to turn out because of the mud, no forage left, all the cattle round here were going to starve etc etc etc.

For once we are having a proper summer, just like we used to have, and strangely this comes after we had a proper winter, with quite a lot of snow and ice, just like we used to have ....

You'd think after all these millenia that we would have learned to deal with the seasons by now, especially with all the mod cons we have these days, instead of having a meltdown any time the weather does the same thing for more than a few days.

I'm now going to water my (new this year so not established and very expensive) plants with my watering can, as I'm not allowed to use a hosepipe, but I am not bothered because I am REALLY enjoying the sun for as long as it lasts.

I am sure the world will keep turning, until possibly Messrs Trump and Putin stop it.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
oh, I am not moaning-I am loving it-we had an awful summer last year and this is infinitely preferable. once I get my chemical weapon against horse flies I'll be even more happy. I can go out at any time of day/night in t-shirt and shorts, thats so unusual here! the worst thing is that I can't take any annual leave, because every other ****** has.

I can't remember the last time hay was got in this early locally-the last few years its been anywhere between September and late October.

{97702}

Visit site
Sobs.... we were teased by a few little drops here in Gloucestershire, I got so excited....and now nothing ☹️☹️ I’m selfishly not bothered about the grass as I’d much rather have less (none!) than more for the piglet pony, but the ground is so hard! Plus I have to try and fit running, dog walking and riding into the early morning before it gets hot