Rainscald ???

WallisM

Visit site
Hello there
laugh.gif

Am in need of some help.
My old boy got a patch of rainscald on his neck, I bathed it and put his neck cover on to keep it dry, This heeled real quickly so took the neck rug off and the little buggar scubbed it red roar
blush.gif
. I have now sorted that patch and now he has patches on his fore head and cheeks, They do hurt him as he wont let me put vet powder on them to dry it up.
My mam is concerned incase it is ring worm but other lad hasn't got these patches on him.
Can anyone help me. The vet is coming out on the 16th Feb for F & T so gonna mention this.
Thank You
wink.gif

vickers22

Visit site
Just make sure you keep him in if possible as this is the best thing for it, shame you cant get a powder near it, as it really needs to be dried out. You could perhaps feed a supplement that will boost his immune system?thats what we do and it works...
Ringworm is supposedly more flakey than rainscald, and underneath the scabs it is dry and scaly,and under rainscald scabs it is moist, although this is not always the case with ringworm. Ummm cant think of anything else to help!
frown.gif

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Is it possible for you to keep him in for a few days at all?

Rainscald comes off in little chunks (looks like little paint brushes) and is usually wet underneath. You need to get the contaminated hair off and then keep the area nice and dry. If it is on his face this will be very difficult if he is out 24/7

KJJ

Visit site
MALASEB is the BEST thing I found for my boys rainscald... his forehead was covered... you need to be extremely careful that you catch it before it spreads.... my boys head within a couple of days had become one big scab which was then difficult to manage as I couldn't get any treatment/ointment under the scab to get to teh infection
frown.gif

I kept him in (Much to his disgust) and left it to dry, picking (gross I know) the outer scabs off if I could.. then when I had 'space' between a couple of scabs I applied Malaseb... This is what was left once the scabs came off... (poor man
frown.gif
)
Ouch1.jpg

Once it went like this the hair soon grew back - he now has a head of baby soft fur
smile.gif

Good luck and I can't recommend malaseb more, ask your vet if they have any! (It's basically a medicated shampoo for dogs and small animals!!)

WallisM

Visit site
Hey thanx for all your replies.
laugh.gif

My boy's head is not half as bad as your horses head that looks real sore bless him.
frown.gif

One thing is the patches have dried up now and gonna give it a good wash with some medicated shampoo I have.

Thanks again
Wallis
x

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hey thanx for all your replies.
laugh.gif

My boy's head is not half as bad as your horses head that looks real sore bless him.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Actually he didn't mind me touching it at all - I think it was at its sorest when the infection was contained UNDER the scabby surface...

It does look awful but there was nothing else I could have done
frown.gif
Poor mite.

Glad your horses isn't anywhere near as bad.

x