Rainscald???

KJJ

Visit site
Ok so Jags is a SERIOUSLY scabby pony at the moment...

Following some serious fly bites (which filled with fluid) made him look like he had rolled in nettles.... he seems to have what looks like Rainscald?!? Is this possible for this time of year??

I suspect the that the humidity has bought it on.... but I don't know?!

I've read that the recommended treatment is Betadine/Iodine Shampoo... but is there anything I can put on to help sooth the scabs/lumps?

Should I try and remove the scabs? or just wash and soften and let them come off themselves?

It really hurts him if you pick at the scabs... My poor pony - will he EVER not have something 'wrong'?
frown.gif

A very disheartened and sad KJJ
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

sally2008

Visit site
Poor Jaggles - that pony is always in the wars!
frown.gif
I think you should keep him wrapped up in cotton wool and plasters in future just in case.
wink.gif

I would have thought that rainscald would be quite unlikely with the weather we've had recently. Scabby fly bite lumps will certainly be softened and helped by Betadene ointment though - wonderful stuff, I'm never without it in my medical box.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Poor Jaggles - that pony is always in the wars!
frown.gif
I think you should keep him wrapped up in cotton wool and plasters in future just in case.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I wish I could
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would have thought that rainscald would be quite unlikely with the weather we've had recently. Scabby fly bite lumps will certainly be softened and helped by Betadene ointment though - wonderful stuff, I'm never without it in my medical box.

[/ QUOTE ]Well I have read you that the humidity can bring it on too...

basically the 'fly bites' have turned VERY weepy on him 'rump' and are matting the hair... which in turn is coming off in huge lumps.. leaving bald patches on him
frown.gif
Looking very much like rainscald
frown.gif

*sighs*

Can I get Betadene from a local horse shop? or do I need to get it from the vet?
frown.gif

sally2008

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
basically the 'fly bites' have turned VERY weepy on him 'rump' and are matting the hair... which in turn is coming off in huge lumps.. leaving bald patches on him
frown.gif
Looking very much like rainscald
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Ewwww! Sounds very much like it then. Should certainly respond to the same treatment I would think.

[ QUOTE ]
Can I get Betadene from a local horse shop? or do I need to get it from the vet?
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I doubt you'll find it at a tack shop but you can get it at any good pharmacy counter, which will be cheaper than the vet.

This is not going to prevent you from being able to ride is it?
frown.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ewwww! Sounds very much like it then. Should certainly respond to the same treatment I would think.

[/ QUOTE ]Yup ewwwww
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you'll find it at a tack shop but you can get it at any good pharmacy counter, which will be cheaper than the vet.

[/ QUOTE ]Ahhh OK....
crazy.gif
will try and get to a pharmacy today then.
[ QUOTE ]
This is not going to prevent you from being able to ride is it?
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Yup indeed.... he's just so sore to even touch the lumps so there is no way I'm putting a saddle on them.... he's also VERY sore through his back again
frown.gif
.... which is strange as he was fine Monday morning and Evening but yesterday morning he was VERY sore again... last time I rode was Sunday.
frown.gif

Greyhound

Visit site
The mahoosive flies we have had around our neck of the woods to go into a lump, scab over and then a cricle of hair comes out. Nice not.

I have been using a gel, cnat remember its name but is super good, will find out the name if you wish.

Chin up hun he couldnt be in better hands

GH

sally2008

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yup indeed.... he's just so sore to even touch the lumps so there is no way I'm putting a saddle on them.... he's also VERY sore through his back again
frown.gif
.... which is strange as he was fine Monday morning and Evening but yesterday morning he was VERY sore again... last time I rode was Sunday.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Oh rats! I'm so sorry hun - 'tis no wonder you're tearing your hair out. Is the "machine" helping at all?

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The mahoosive flies we have had around our neck of the woods to go into a lump, scab over and then a cricle of hair comes out. Nice not.

[/ QUOTE ]Maybe that is what it is then... but it's like HUGE patches everywhere... like I say he looked like he had rolled in nettles
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have been using a gel, cnat remember its name but is super good, will find out the name if you wish.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes please that'd be great
smile.gif

I have been using a cream that contains Lavender and Tea Tree... (Comes in a black bottle) but don't know if that is ACTUALLY doing anything?!?
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Chin up hun he couldnt be in better hands

GH

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks GH, it doesn't feel that way at the moment.. he probably thinks I'm a wicked mother
frown.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh rats! I'm so sorry hun - 'tis no wonder you're tearing your hair out. Is the "machine" helping at all?

[/ QUOTE ]
frown.gif
frown.gif

I don't know TBH.. he seemed to enjoy it lastnight but I'm not sure if it's actually doing anything apart from making me feel like I'm doing something?!?
frown.gif

sally2008

Visit site
I just can't believe your run of bad luck. I just don't know what to suggest hun, you've done everything you can. Perhaps because the misalignment in his spine could have been there for a while, it will take time to retrain the muscles sufficiently to hold it correctly? I think I'd speak to the chiro and see what she says.

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
Hun,
Hugs for you and Jags!
Just been looking in my vet book and it says that some horses are more suseptable to this type of bacteria than others. Particularly if the horse has a low immune system. What with the strangles, I would imagine his is pretty low at the minute.
Maybe worth talking to the vet about getting something to boost his immune system?
Just a thought.

P x

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I just can't believe your run of bad luck. I just don't know what to suggest hun, you've done everything you can. Perhaps because the misalignment in his spine could have been there for a while, it will take time to retrain the muscles sufficiently to hold it correctly? I think I'd speak to the chiro and see what she says.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm gunna - but I'll cry if I speak to her now... so will do it in a bit
crazy.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hun,
Hugs for you and Jags!
Just been looking in my vet book and it says that some horses are more suseptable to this type of bacteria than others. Particularly if the horse has a low immune system. What with the strangles, I would imagine his is pretty low at the minute.
Maybe worth talking to the vet about getting something to boost his immune system?
Just a thought.

P x

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks hun... I think the weather also hasn't helped.... Humid/rain/humid/rain
frown.gif

Have started to ut his rain sheet on at night - but don't want to do that if it is going to make the infection/bacteria breed... but want to keep him dry - *sighs* may have to start bringing him in at night again I guess
frown.gif

Vet should be calling re-second swab results today so will ask her then
crazy.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Poor pony - and you!

Have you any Protocon or nappy cream like stuff, if you have plaster that on and around the bites quite thickly and leave well alone for a couple of days; if it rains bung some more on. This will soften up the scabs enabling them to dry and almost flake off especially if you very gently massage around but not on the bites, that seems to help and most ponies like it as it relieves a bit of the itching too; much kinder than picking at them!
Also, I wouldn't put a rug on at all, it will only trap any bugs/bacteria and breed more IMO.

Hope he's better soon, must be really run down poor boy. What about Red (Bull?
smirk.gif
) Cell, also Kossolian is very good for that sort of thing, always use it, got B12 in it and stuff or even Blue Chip; it's always better to get the inner system working right else you won't see any improvement whatever you throw at it? Sorry, didn't mean to preach
blush.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Poor pony - and you!

Have you any Protocon or nappy cream like stuff, if you have plaster that on and around the bites quite thickly and leave well alone for a couple of days; if it rains bung some more on. This will soften up the scabs enabling them to dry and almost flake off especially if you very gently massage around but not on the bites, that seems to help and most ponies like it as it relieves a bit of the itching too; much kinder than picking at them!

[/ QUOTE ]Have been smothering him in Lavender/Tea Tree Cream to sooth and soften scabs.. also have bathed him in Lavendar wash... the scabs are slowly coming off... but don't pick them as they hurt
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I wouldn't put a rug on at all, it will only trap any bugs/bacteria and breed more IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]Hmmmm but what about when it rains?! - Maybe I should bring him in of a night ATM so tha his skin doesn't keep getting wet.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hope he's better soon, must be really run down poor boy. What about Red (Bull?
smirk.gif
) Cell, also Kossolian is very good for that sort of thing, always use it, got B12 in it and stuff or even Blue Chip; it's always better to get the inner system working right else you won't see any improvement whatever you throw at it? Sorry, didn't mean to preach
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks hun.. not preaching just advising!.... He is on Benevit... but barely gets any dinner as he really doesn't need it... I'd rather not give him any more feed TBH.. but will speak to the vet when she come sout to do his final swab.

Thanks again. x

aran

community.webshots.com
The fly bites have probably become infected creating a rain scald. I'd give him a good wash with dermoline or dilute hibiscrub and then dry him well. I wouldnt put anything on them as you want the area to dry out. Give him a bath everyother day and keep the area clean and dry - really important to stop the cycle. Dont pick off the scabs just remove the loose stuff. The scabs contain most of the bacteria so be careful and wear gloves.
Hope he gets better soon - poor pony!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Well Kossolian would be a spoonful, no more and Red Cell is a liquid I think so not as much as a cupful (you'd only give one of these at a time anyway, be overload if you fed both together I would imagine!) also BC would only be a mugful and a bit but you wouldn't need to feed anything else at all, no supplements, nothing, so he's not likely to get any fatter on any of them! Just hope he feels better soon!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Its perfectly possible to get rainscald at this time of year. Its like any other bacterial infection, will take hold when the immune system is low and the skin is weak (especially with sweating in the hot weather).
Malaseb is the best wash to use, wet the affected areas, rub on and lather, leave for 20 mins then rinse off. Should loosen the scabs right up. If it is really bad and regarding his previous illness a course of penicillin may be a good idea.

sojeph

Visit site
Try googling MTG. I seem to remember people on here raving about it!
Hope yer run of bad luck comes to an end soon
crazy.gif

Honeyb060674

Visit site
As Vicijp says its possible! Honey had a bad do around April/May this year, got wet once, came into a warm humid box...hey presto few days later horrendous rainscald. If they are weeping pus filled lumps it rainscald, you can feel it under the skin before it scabs over. I washed her daily in hibiscrub all around infected area (it can spread btw) leave it on for 10 minutes rinse and dry thoroughly. Whislt you are washing with the scrub remove loose scabby bits where possible. I used a teatree antibacterial spray on it when it had dried. Most of all let the fresh air get to it where possible and don't get him wet! Good luck hope he's feeling better soon
grin.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The fly bites have probably become infected creating a rain scald. I'd give him a good wash with dermoline or dilute hibiscrub and then dry him well. I wouldnt put anything on them as you want the area to dry out. Give him a bath everyother day and keep the area clean and dry - really important to stop the cycle. Dont pick off the scabs just remove the loose stuff. The scabs contain most of the bacteria so be careful and wear gloves.
Hope he gets better soon - poor pony!

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks Aran.... have been washing him every other day in Lavender wash.. mainly to soothe the soreness away
frown.gif

Thank you. x

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well Kossolian would be a spoonful, no more and Red Cell is a liquid I think so not as much as a cupful (you'd only give one of these at a time anyway, be overload if you fed both together I would imagine!) also BC would only be a mugful and a bit but you wouldn't need to feed anything else at all, no supplements, nothing, so he's not likely to get any fatter on any of them! Just hope he feels better soon!

[/ QUOTE ]Hey M, thanks hun... am off to the Tack Shop to purchase some Red Cell at lunch.
smile.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Its perfectly possible to get rainscald at this time of year. Its like any other bacterial infection, will take hold when the immune system is low and the skin is weak (especially with sweating in the hot weather).
Malaseb is the best wash to use, wet the affected areas, rub on and lather, leave for 20 mins then rinse off. Should loosen the scabs right up. If it is really bad and regarding his previous illness a course of penicillin may be a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]Hey Vicjp thank you for this info... I did think it was possible to get it - just never seen it in Summer.... thank you. x

JM7

Visit site
wash him regularly in hibi-scrub..it'll ease off the scabs..and clear up any gunk on the skin...

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Try googling MTG. I seem to remember people on here raving about it!
Hope yer run of bad luck comes to an end soon
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Hey sojeph, thankies will be googling that later. x

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As Vicijp says its possible! Honey had a bad do around April/May this year, got wet once, came into a warm humid box...hey presto few days later horrendous rainscald. If they are weeping pus filled lumps it rainscald, you can feel it under the skin before it scabs over. I washed her daily in hibiscrub all around infected area (it can spread btw) leave it on for 10 minutes rinse and dry thoroughly. Whislt you are washing with the scrub remove loose scabby bits where possible. I used a teatree antibacterial spray on it when it had dried. Most of all let the fresh air get to it where possible and don't get him wet! Good luck hope he's feeling better soon
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Hey honeyb.... thank you for this info.. I have been very careful when washing him... only washing the effected area with the one sponge then changing water and sponge for 'fine' areas.... thank you.. will be purchasing more hibiscrub at lunch.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
aah, yes...Malaseb...that is better than hibi.......

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks JM... erm Malaseb.. must remember that.. but will get Hibi in the mean time if my local Tack shop doesn't have it. x

JM7

Visit site
he's not rugged is he, kim??

leave him naked as often as poss...air circulation and all that....

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I've just posted pictures of my shettie in pictures gallery that has sweet itch on his bum, but it does also look a little like rainscald, the vet said it is sweet itch but could be a bit of both. I have been using Camrosa and it is working really well, it's lifeted all the scabs and the clean skin is now showing, i'm on day 8 of using it a the moment and going to keep it up it's well worth the money.