Raised feeders

TarrSteps

Visit site
I have those metal raised feeding stands for my dogs (don't judge me, they're tall lurchers) but they're looking pretty rough. We're having a kitchen refit and I'm going to have a go with the metal paint, but if that is an abject failure does anyone have any suggestions that are aesthetically bearable but not Orvis-level money?

dianeholmes

Visit site
Why would someone judge you! Feeding tall and deep chested dogs above ground level makes very good sense and cuts down the flatulence problem! You can get raised feeders on the net, either double or single. Oscar Pet Foods do raised feeders of varying sizes (height) on line or if you live in one of their franchisees areas they would happily deliver.

s4sugar

Visit site
Raised feeding has been found to possibly contribute to the risk of bloat.
If you must do so the best built in version I've seen was a bench with holes to take bowls. Easy to customise to fit the space.

CAYLA

Visit site
Raised feeding has been found to possibly contribute to the risk of bloat.
If you must do so the best built in version I've seen was a bench with holes to take bowls. Easy to customise to fit the space.

Ditto that^^^^ I have never used raised bowls for my large breeds. I also belive it hightens the risk of bloat (no judging here though) :) each to their own.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I feed mine on a raised feeder (er, an old shoe rack in the utility :redface3: ) and had never heard of it causing bloat? I though I was doing a good thing for a big dog with hip dysplasia by doing this?

TarrSteps

Visit site
Seems to depend on who you ask - some say it causes bloat, others say it helps prevent it.

Anyway, it is moot for me as the taller dog is such an odd shape he can't reach the floor without lying down or at least bending his legs and then, because he's him, half the time he gives up halfway through eating. The smaller one is a more normal shape and might very well end up with a bowl on the floor like a real dog.

satinbaze

Visit site
The evidence for raised feeders increasing the risk of GDV (bloat) was done by Purdue university. Other factors are certain ingredients in some dry dog foods (cant remember off the top of my head) ice cubes in water, exercise within 2 hours of feeding, genetics. They did suggest that although raised feeders appeared to increase the risk it is possibly because dogs which have previously bloated were being fed with them.
Personally I won't risk it as Lily is a GDV survivor but this is JMHO. The research makes interesting reading