Ranching holiday

SpringArising

Visit site
Looking for ideas and tips on the best place to go for a ranch style holiday. Tentatively looking - I have an idyllic picture in my head of Montana thanks to The Horse Whisperer, but have no idea of the practicalities.

I'm looking for somewhere authentic, that offers half-day trail rides, relaxed atmosphere with decent private accommodation. Probably for a week. Close enough to an airport would be a big bonus. Any suggestions?

I'd be flying from London and taking my mum with me, who's horsey but rusty after a break of many years!

Doesn't have to be Montana, but I'd like scenic mountains, lakes etc.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Slightly different to what you have mentioned, but something to consider.

My Aunt went on a 2 week ride through the stunning country in Canada; mountains, lakes, forests and will say to anyone that it is the best experience she has ever had. It's a group and there is no phone signal or anything, so a real true break. It is camping but upmarket camping type and they have allocated sites so will cook up proper meals and have a horse that carries the bar with them. :D

If it sounds like something you would be interested in I will ask her the company.

SpringArising

Visit site
Slightly different to what you have mentioned, but something to consider.

My Aunt went on a 2 week ride through the stunning country in Canada; mountains, lakes, forests and will say to anyone that it is the best experience she has ever had. It's a group and there is no phone signal or anything, so a real true break. It is camping but upmarket camping type and they have allocated sites so will cook up proper meals and have a horse that carries the bar with them. :D

If it sounds like something you would be interested in I will ask her the company.

Sounds fab, thank you! Hadn't thought of doing it in Canada but I've always wanted to go.

Alibear

Visit site
https://www.westernhorseuk.com/map/

I've personally been to Elk Mountain Ranch in Colorado and had a fantastic time, stunning place set up high in the Rockies it's more of a due ranch , others are working cow ranches such as the TX Ranch although I can remember where that is despite having a friend working there at the moment. People also rave about the Red Reflect Guest ranch which is another dude ranch.

I booked my holiday via Ranch Rider who were very helpful in suggesting ranches that suite our needs as Hubby came with me and although he rides he wanted to do other things such as trap shooting and we also went white water rafting,.

Evie91

Visit site
I went to Tennessee- I’d have to look up where. It was fab but a little tame! Did cattle drive, but his cows were pets so knew where to go, trail rides, roping and penning - was all good fun and easy enough for my none riding friend to join in. I’d hoped for more fast work. We went white water rafting too that was fab- told it was the hardest rated one you could do- but we were never in jeopardy!
We had camp fire in the evenings, log cabins - really good fun. I’d love to go again but would want something more authentic.

Ellietotz

Visit site
My partner in the army stayed at a ranch in Canada and rode all through the rocky mountains. Said it was one of the best experiences ever. If I was going to do a holiday like this, it would definitely be in Canada!

Mule

Visit site
I'd love a holiday like this. Montana or Wyoming sound great. I love the idea of riding through all that open land. It sounds like a nice hack X 1 million.

Last edited:

molar roller

Visit site
3 years ago I spent one month in a horse ranch in Colorado but not for holiday. I had a fantastic time over there. also I have lived in Alberta for couple years.
I can't say any spesific ranch name but if we talk about states, Montana would be a perfect choice. Also you can look for Colorado and Wyoming if you want to feel western atmosphere.

Mrs B

Visit site
Another vote for Canada. A friend and I went for 2 weeks many years ago but it was such an amazing holiday it still feels like yesterday! We flew to Vancouver in late May and then took the most amazing train journey East: alongside huge, turquoise lakes, over Whistler ski resort and towards the Caribou Mountains, where the ranch owners picked us up at the nearest station.

Accommodation was in little log cabins near the main ranch house, each with a woodburning stove. No phones, no telly just books, a hot-tub on the deck, lovely food and 6 to 8 hours' riding a day into the mountains, taking packed lunches with us.

Great, sure-footed horses and most of the days just me, my friend and the wrangler.

Heaven on Earth. :)

Seville

Visit site
The Horse Whisperer , although set in Montana,was actually filmed in Utah, at Sundance Ranch. Robert Redford films everything there on his property which is extensive. I was lucky enough to visit. Utah is stunning, you get mountains, lush green valleys, and deserts.

SpringArising

Visit site
Another vote for Canada. A friend and I went for 2 weeks many years ago but it was such an amazing holiday it still feels like yesterday! We flew to Vancouver in late May and then took the most amazing train journey East: alongside huge, turquoise lakes, over Whistler ski resort and towards the Caribou Mountains, where the ranch owners picked us up at the nearest station.

Accommodation was in little log cabins near the main ranch house, each with a woodburning stove. No phones, no telly just books, a hot-tub on the deck, lovely food and 6 to 8 hours' riding a day into the mountains, taking packed lunches with us.

Great, sure-footed horses and most of the days just me, my friend and the wrangler.

Heaven on Earth. :)

That sounds amazing. What was the name of the ranch?

dotty1

Visit site
I have been to White Stallion Ranch twice, it's easy to get to, accommodation, facilities and food is fantastic as are all the people. The riding is a bit ...samey ...in single file through cactus deserts (pretty fast if you get in the rig group)or up mountains. If you have your own horse and generally want a blast than you would prob get bored. But it is fantastic value for money really compared to other ranches..
I have a friend who goes to Flying u ranch north of Vancouver, it's a 4 HR drive and pretty basic but they give you a horse and a map and off you go!! ( horses know the way home if you don't)

SpringArising

Visit site
I have been to White Stallion Ranch twice, it's easy to get to, accommodation, facilities and food is fantastic as are all the people. The riding is a bit ...samey ...in single file through cactus deserts (pretty fast if you get in the rig group)or up mountains. If you have your own horse and generally want a blast than you would prob get bored. But it is fantastic value for money really compared to other ranches..
I have a friend who goes to Flying u ranch north of Vancouver, it's a 4 HR drive and pretty basic but they give you a horse and a map and off you go!! ( horses know the way home if you don't)

That's interesting, thank you! That's what I was a bit apprehensive of - driving though Arizona is very samey!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I went to Wyoming, It was a Ranch America holiday. I wanted to ride, not muck about with cattle, so I chose a ranch that was about riding not about ranching. I also did not want to be on a big Dude ranch. I went end of season and it was a good deal cheaper. The ranch could accommodate 18, there were 6 there when I went. We were on the Big Horn river, about twenty miles from the Little Big Horn. The riding was diverse because we were in High Desert and we could go up the mountains or out into the desert. There were no set trials so you actually had to be able to ride. The first night they took us out and tested us, what we would do. It was a bit hairy but fun. They also took us out on trips , like the Cody Museum and white water rafting. We also took a couple of days out to see Yellow Stone. It was a great Holiday.
So my tips are
Avoid large ranches
Avoid Dude ranches
If you want to ride avoid ranches that involve cattle

Have fun

SpringArising

Visit site
I went to Wyoming, It was a Ranch America holiday. I wanted to ride, not muck about with cattle, so I chose a ranch that was about riding not about ranching. I also did not want to be on a big Dude ranch. I went end of season and it was a good deal cheaper. The ranch could accommodate 18, there were 6 there when I went. We were on the Big Horn river, about twenty miles from the Little Big Horn. The riding was diverse because we were in High Desert and we could go up the mountains or out into the desert. There were no set trials so you actually had to be able to ride. The first night they took us out and tested us, what we would do. It was a bit hairy but fun. They also took us out on trips , like the Cody Museum and white water rafting. We also took a couple of days out to see Yellow Stone. It was a great Holiday.
So my tips are
Avoid large ranches
Avoid Dude ranches

Have fun

Just looked up what a Dude ranch is as I'd seen it a lot! I don't want to mess around with cattle either, so thanks for the tips. Much appreciated! My ideal would be spend half the day riding, and the other half relaxing on a porch with an amazing view!

Orangehorse

Visit site
So my tips are
Avoid large ranches
Avoid Dude ranches

Have fun

That sounds fantastic.

I went with In the Saddle to the Rocking Z in Montana, which was fabulous. I was considering going back in the spring as I went in September when it was of course really dry, it is a few years ago now but it still gets very good reviews on the feedback.

Very friendly run by a family, large cabins, good food large assortment of horses, which were fetched in daily from pasture via driving down in the back of a pickup truck and one of the girls rode a horse back as they wouldn't come by themselves as mountain lions sometimes lurk in the undergrowth, and I think I saw one out of my bedroom window one morning.

Riding was varied as to riding ability, so a learner riders went out in one group and the more experienced, faster group went out together. The famous 15 minute canter up the side of a mountain - those horses were fit! I think they said there were 14 different routes they could chose. A lot of it was climbing steep mountains to fantastic views, but there was faster riding too. You could if you wished do a bit of cattle work and one day the horses had a day off and we were taken out to local shop/rodeo and I went on a river raft (no white water) on apparently the best trout river in the USA.
Our group saw a bear, which was a highlight and there were rattlesnakes around. The airport wasn't very far away and we were collected and taken back by the host.

Bernster

Visit site
Interesting OH as I looked at that one for our holiday this year! Ended up booking tombstone in Arizona as suited us better given our travel dates.

Arizona looks good for more of a cowboy experience. Montana seems more picturesque . We’ve booked via in the saddle .