Random horse jumped out of its field on top of the beast

Mule

Visit site
The beast and I were on a hack today, minding our own business when a big oaf of a horse jumped out of its' field and nearly landed on top of us.
I was afraid they'd fight and I'd get stuck in the middle so I had to fend it off with my whip.

I jumped off and put the beast in a nearby yard and tried to catch the unwelcome guest. The farmer who owns it arrived and herded it back in to its' field. Luckily the animal was just curious rather than aggressive. The beast was his usual unflappable self. No harm done but not very pleasant all the same🙄

Mule

Visit site
:eek::eek: crikey, that's a random one. Bet you're a bit shaken up by it. Glad nothing too disastrous came of it
I was very taken aback. The fact that I used a whip was highly unusual in itself. I'm not a whippy type of person. I don't think I've ever used a whip, other than give a little tap behind the leg. I suppose a self preservation instinct kicked in

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Glad all was well but it sounds rather frightening.
There was a Shetland in a small field up the road from me a while ago. For an unknown reason my horse sidled past as if this little pony would eat her. When it was first turned out it regularly used to try to jump the 7 bar galvanised field gate as I rode past. This particular pony had extremely short legs, it looked legless in winter with it’s hairy coat. Anyway it’s attempts at jumping always failed as it hit the gate with it’s chest and bounced back off. I was always concerned the gate would fall as I couldn’t see how with my wuss of a mare trying to get away I would get the gate up and the pony in the field .

Mule

Visit site
Glad all was well but it sounds rather frightening.
There was a Shetland in a small field up the road from me a while ago. For an unknown reason my horse sidled past as if this little pony would eat her. When it was first turned out it regularly used to try to jump the 7 bar galvanised field gate as I rode past. This particular pony had extremely short legs, it looked legless in winter with it’s hairy coat. Anyway it’s attempts at jumping always failed as it hit the gate with it’s chest and bounced back off. I was always concerned the gate would fall as I couldn’t see how with my wuss of a mare trying to get away I would get the gate up and the pony in the field .
I have an image in my head of an angry shetland bouncing off a gate:D

Needless to say, I certainly won't be hacking past that field again. I'm really lucky to have the beast. He has such a great temperament.

Mule

Visit site
It's strange because what happened to me today also happened to another hho member. She posted about it a few months ago. She was quite upset because she also had to fend off the horse but it got injured in the process.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
How scary! Hope your all recovered. I do wonder why horses don’t jump out more often though tbh!
I remember years ago I had to hand walk one so was wandering up a quiet lane with it when my daughters pony appeared alongside having just (apparently beautifully!) popped the main gate out of the yard 😂

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
It's strange because what happened to me today also happened to another hho member. She posted about it a few months ago. She was quite upset because she also had to fend off the horse but it got injured in the process.

Yes it was me and I am sorry to say I havent ridden since, I seem to come up with every reason in the book not to ride again, I think it must have shook me up more than I realised.- unfortunate really as I had hoped to carry on for a few more years yet but if I dont get myself back on and out and about very soon I think that will be it for me :( Still no idea how the horse who got injured is and it is probable that I will never find out the truth from the owners, that plays on my mind too. Glad you and both the horses involved are Ok OP.
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...ing-fear-realised-today.771772/#post-13921042

Mule

Visit site
Yes it was me and I am sorry to say I havent ridden since, I seem to come up with every reason in the book not to ride again, I think it must have shook me up more than I realised.- unfortunate really as I had hoped to carry on for a few more years yet but if I dont get myself back on and out and about very soon I think that will be it for me :( Still no idea how the horse who got injured is and it is probable that I will never find out the truth from the owners, that plays on my mind too. Glad you and both the horses involved are Ok OP.
https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...ing-fear-realised-today.771772/#post-13921042
Have you access to an arena?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Have you access to an arena?

Unfortunately no just lots of very soggy fields - but it isnt actually getting on and riding that seems to be crippling my nerves - I can envisage getting on and riding out as far as our own private lane (about half a mile) quite happily but the thought of actually hacking out again just makes me feel sick with nerves, damn ridiculous but just not sure how to get past it.

My horse was a saint when it happened, and usually she is a cow bag if a mouse farts in the hedgerow so it isnt fear of what she might do, more fear of how compeltley out of the blue it could all go pear shaped regardless of what she or I might be doing. :(

Mule

Visit site
Unfortunately no just lots of very soggy fields - but it isnt actually getting on and riding that seems to be crippling my nerves - I can envisage getting on and riding out as far as our own private lane (about half a mile) quite happily but the thought of actually hacking out again just makes me feel sick with nerves, damn ridiculous but just not sure how to get past it.

My horse was a saint when it happened, and usually she is a cow bag if a mouse farts in the hedgerow so it isnt fear of what she might do, more fear of how compeltley out of the blue it could all go pear shaped regardless of what she or I might be doing. :(
Mabey just try riding on your own land for the moment just so the nerves don't take over. When the weather improves you could try a short hack with someone else for company. Slowly and surely might be best x

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Mabey just try riding on your own land for the moment just so the nerves don't take over. When the weather improves you could try a short hack with someone else for company. Slowly and surely might be best x

Yes I think I will just ride up and down our lane for hours on a dry day until she and I are so bored I bite the bullet and hack out onto the main lane and get over myself and just get on with it - thank you :)

Mule

Visit site
That would have been a "New Pants Please" moment for me!
I think I was ok because the beast is so laid back. If I was on a skittish type or if the other horse was aggressive I would have got a real fright.
I think the whole thing happened too fast for me to think about the potential danger.

What surprised me was how I got on the offensive, brandishing the whip like a sword! :D

PapaverFollis

Visit site
MrsJingle. Just get on and ride your half mile everyday. Or just get on. Or just tack up... just do what you can but do it every day. You'll find the nerves start to ease gradually. Don't push yourself too far just stretch yourself a little everyday. If one day you hack your half mile but the next day you can only sit on for 2 minutes that's ok. Don't look at it too hard or analyse it too much. Just keep doing it and eventually the confidence will come back.

oldie48

Visit site
I am pleased to say that the owner of the stallion on the opposite side of the lane to us has started work on improving the gate, although it's not finished yet it is a little more secure. I saw his daughter delivering a big bale of hay yesterday as there is virtually no grass in the field either, and made a point of thanking her. I shall be quite pleased when the hedges start growing as I noticed one bit that is very thin. I certainly don't want Rose to be jumped on although he'd be a better match for her than LF!

pansymouse

Visit site
MrsJingle, I recommend repeatedly doing the route where the incident in hand until the day both you and the horse are so mind numbingly bored with it you decide to get on just for something different to do. It worked for me after I had a nasty fall.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
MrsJingle, I recommend repeatedly doing the route where the incident in hand until the day both you and the horse are so mind numbingly bored with it you decide to get on just for something different to do. It worked for me after I had a nasty fall.

I wish I could do that but unfortunately although they have been moved over into a back field they are apparently still there and the hedgerow is almost non existent between that and the roadside field, plus another neighbour has told me he has seen them in the roadside field since the incident I had so they do seem to wander between the 2 fields - so even if we creep up the valley in best 'injun style' they will still see and hear us coming on the tarmac so the risk is still great as I have no idea if there might even be other colts in the herd too.

Excellent idea and if I get myself back riding again then the minute they are gone I will be doing exactly as you suggested - thank you :)

Equi

Visit site
Jeez! As if horse riders didn't get it from all sides already! Naughty horse. Well done you and your boy thought to deal with it and in the thick of it all try to make sure THAT horse was ok! My experience of this was not quite as spectacular, my neighbours mini stallion had done a bunk up to the other neighbours (whos farm lane i rode on) but they had put it in their garden. The little blighter had hopped the wall when it seen me and followed me lol my horse at the time was NOT impressed but my friend who was with us was able to herd it back into the garden with her own horse.