Random mane loss?

Nudibranch

Visit site
The Fell's mane has been getting thinner to the point I'm actually thinking of hogging her 😮
I have no idea why. She has a good coat and very full tail; the mane has always been her weak point but this is ridiculous. There's no damage, it's evenly thinning throughout from forelock to withers, and she is never rugged. She was negative for PPID when tested but is borderline EMS so managed accordingly.

Any ideas? I'm not interested in putting anything on it, and I don't believe there's a topical product which would make a blind bit of difference out there. She's otherwise healthy and sound, though very scurfy despite getting linseed, salt and pro hoof.

Frano

Visit site
Does sound odd. Are her tail and feathers thinning? Is she shedding still? May be worth asking your vet over the phone if they have any ideas.Or do you have a mystery mane puller on your yard?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The scurfy skin issue would make me wonder whether her copper and zinc levels are right. Do you have a lot of iron (likely) or low copper in your grazing/forage in your area, and if so do you supplement to correct it?

Fiona

Visit site
I'm experiencing this too OP with my grey 7yo connie.

He 'lost' most of his forelock while we were away on holiday in Sept 2018, and since then over a year ago it has never regrown. His mane is also thinning (quite evenly).

Feathers and tail are still normal.

Fiona

Nudibranch

Visit site
No lice. It's not scratched out, it's just thin, much like Fiona describes. Tail and feathers are fine.
Mineral wise we are only low in magnesium. Iron is low-moderate and copper and zinc are low-moderate which is why I feed the pro hoof.
She's the only one out of 8 I've had in these fields with this issue. My Dales has a ridiculously thick, long mane.