random swelling. (also in veterinary)

weesophz

www.facebook.com
two days ago my horse developed random swelling on and around his fetlock on his right hind leg. theres no heat, hes not lame and is happy to let us squeeze it and flex it. does anyone know what the cause could be? im baffled, as it occured while he was standing in and he hadnt been out for a while.

he has the vet on monday to get his teeth done, but does anyone think i should get the vet out sooner just to make sure its not something more sinister than a bit of swelling?

HELP

Always Henesy

Visit site
If the horse has been in a while then it could just be a build up of lymphatic fluid.
Quite common when they are not able to walk around.
The best bet is to turn out for a day and see what happens...chances are it will go down.
If your horse has to stay in then stable bandages would be a good idea to prevent a build up of fluid.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Ditto the above. Horses don't have great circulation in their lower legs so excess fluid can collect down there making the legs swell up. Exercise is the best way to remove it as this gets the circulation working better. Try not to leave the horse in for too long, or if you have to keep him in, bandage the legs or prehaps try magnetic wraps to improve circulation, also giving the legs a good rub helps too!

rubydog

Visit site
Could just be because he had been in for a while, mine was like this yesterday and he had been in all day due to the weather, the swelling was on all legs though, soon sent after a potter out. Could be something similuar if he has been in all day. I am sure someone on here will have more knowledge than me and will be able to reassure you further.

weesophz

www.facebook.com
thanks guys, but i walked him in had for 10 minutes the other day, and rode for half an hour at walk and trot yesterday and to be honest there was little difference in the swelling, bit of a nuisance!