Randy gelding STD swabs

Katd66

Visit site
Hi

A bit of dilemma.

My gelding has been mounting and 'getting it on' with a mare in the field (since seperated them).

The owners were concerned about pregnancy so I rang my vets to confirm that the castration carried out in 2009 was 100% sucessful and there was no chance of pregnancy which the head vet who remembered and carried out the castration confirmed.

The vet said a lot of mares are unusually in season at the mo and winding the boys up.

This reassured the mare's owner however another livery has now gone to the YM to complain the my gelding got in with one of her mares a few months ago (no proof he has mounted her) and she does not trust that he is not a rig and she wants him testing for this and also wants him checked for any STD's that he may have passed on.

She also said castrated horses cant get erections which I believe not to be true.

Now he is only 3 and half, so if he did cover this other mare it was probably his first time :rolleyes: so he couldnt pass anything on? Or she could have passed something to him - no proof of this?

Help and advise please? And ideas on cost for the rig/testosterone test and std swab.

Also posted in breeding.

MiCsarah

Visit site
Completely agree. If their so fussed then they can pay. If their worried about std's then they can have their mare swabbed. There's not many hot blooded geldings that wouldn't mount a mare if she was shoving it in their faces

rhino

Visit site
Agree with the others, and personally (though not an expert) can't think of any equine STD which would have any effect on a mare's health unless she were to be used for breeding, and in this case she would need to have the mare swabbed anyway (at least if used for 'natural' covering).

I would be polite, but insistent.

Castrated horses can still have erections, and some 'fun' with them too :eek: :rolleyes:

Pedantic

Visit site
My Gelding was mounting a mare at our yard, with his equipment all in working order, so Gelded horse's can get a stiffy.

Seems to me the fencing isn't up to it, YO's problem, plus if the mares are leading the boys on who's to blame, seems to me if anyone want's STD's checking they can either pay for it themselves or take it up with the yard owner.

I did ask for a condom machine and a mounting block to be put in our field, as he couldn't reach to make ends meet.

Mare Stare

Visit site
One of my geldings tried to "rape" my filly back in the summer :eek:

Poor Saffy. She didn't have a clue what was happening! I think it was her first season.

Anyway, geldings are perfectly capable of getting 'it' up and attempting to do the business. Just like castrated dogs can. (Don't know about castrated men - hubby hasn't annoyed me enough for me to castrate him yet - though I have threatened to on many an occaision!! :D )

Tuffles 23

Visit site
Hi i also agree , my sister has had the same problem . she had a 5yo tb exracer and an outher liverys mare jumped into his field (in season) and he covered her (he was a gelding) and they tryed to put the blame on her :eek: but as it was there mare that jumped into her field she told them to get stuffed then they tryed to play the rig card but as he had raced my sister had his full medical history so there was no way he was a rig .

Mare Stare

Visit site
What is a rig? :confused:

A gelding with a testicle that retained in the body (i.e never dropped) or maybe a horse that appears to have been gelded but has still has both testicles inside his body. They still act like stallions but can't deliver the goods.

SamanthaUK

Visit site
Surely they can still get erect when sexually aroused? When Gelded they have their testicles removed, nothing to do with their penis? Why would it make a difference?

Just saying :')x

sandi_84

Visit site
A gelding with a testicle that retained in the body (i.e never dropped) or maybe a horse that appears to have been gelded but has still has both testicles inside his body. They still act like stallions but can't deliver the goods.

A horse with a restrained testicle, they can still act 'stalliony' although generally aren't fertile. Also called monorchids :)

Ah! Ok thank you! :D

Katd66

Visit site
Thanks guys - completely agree with all of you. YO isnt particularly horsey and just wants an easy life. Groom to the mare(owner abroad) is a nightmare and likes to make life difficult for everyone.

I shall perhaps pose the question to her on whether she can prove that said horse did not have any STD prior to the time the two horses where in the field together. Which I doubt she can.

My vet has even said he will talk to anyone who is concerned.

Bloomin' horses!