Rant About my Fly rug!!!!!

ibot

Visit site
Hi all

So I am totally furious about my fly rug I spent £105 on it fingers crossed that it would last me a season :mad::mad: But now I have fixed it so many times I am ready to scream!!!
I did go back to the people I got it from and after answering me I have now heard nothing :mad:

So far I have had to re jiggle the leg straps as one went into my horses leg and tore the skin off the inside, then the belly straps kept loosening and so I kept tightening them and sure enough horse got let caught in them!! so I sewed them so they could not slip :eek:
then I had to redo the clips on the belly as the buckle broke so I did surcingle to help fasten them but the Velcro has gone on the belly bit so that keeps hanging down in between my horses front legs . Then after doing all of this arrived this morning to find the leg strap around my horses hoof stuck and half of it ripped :mad::mad: Now my horse is in a field with electric fencing there are no trees but he has been known to sit like a dog and go around on his bum if he has an itch there:eek::eek:
I am not really a rant sort of person but I am so fed up I can not wait to scream at it jump on it then burn it grrrrrrr
Phew I feel better now thank you for getting here if you made it this far feel free to burn your equipment that drives you mad too on my fire :):)

Dusty85

Visit site
What brand is it? If the shop isn't getting back to you, then try going direct to the manufacturer, as long as you have proof of purchase and date

Fransurrey

Visit site
Oh dear. For that money you could have bought a sweet itch hoody or nearly two of the shires sweet itch combos! I'd recommend either (have a SI mare and have both).

sjp1

Visit site
I have found the best fly rugs to be Premier Equine - and certainly not as expensive as the one you have bought.

I was very surprised to have seen three people who own the Rambo fly rugs which are almost bare in areas with very little use.

Not sure which rug you have, but most certainly would never want to buy a Rambo fly rug. Am also not keen at all on leg straps for any rugs. A decently cut rug should be perfectly adequate with just a tail strap - and all the fly rugs I have seen with leg straps seem to slip to one side,whereas mine in spite of mega rolling from the boy, always self rights itself.

Fjord

Visit site
I love my Rambo Protector, it suits my mare perfectly and I find they last well. What make did you buy, £105 is a lot of money! I'd definitely try and contact the manufacturer, they may be able to do something.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
£105 TBH seems a helluva lot of money to spend on a "fly rug" unless its one of the branded names, which, yes, ARE pricey, but well worth it IMO.

I'd expect to spend that sort of dosh on a "hoody" rug rather than a fly rug TBH.

I had a fly rug which had bits around the belly that fastened with velcro; it was a nice serviceable rug and did last well (Mark Todd) but I never liked that aspect of it.

Can recommend Rambo rugs. Pricey but unsurpassed IME. Also Premier Equine. Cheaper and very serviceable. Sizes sometimes a bit unpredictable though!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've tried loads over the years but at the moment I'm pleased with our Mark Todd rugs. There's a stretch panet at the wither between the body & the neck & this makes it fit really well, not ride up when they feed & doesn't seem to rub their manes either.

To pay over £100 for an unknown make from an Ebay seller seems questionable?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My Rambo protector was AWFUL! falling to bits after a few months not even continuous use. Its coming out of the binding etc not even just horse damaged, just very badly made. Shockingly as I love Rambo usually.
Rambo have been totally unhelpful as my horse could have damaged it. (blindingly obviously manufacturing fault if you saw it)

ibot

Visit site
I totally agree my purchase was silly and as I said a lesson learnt, My poor boy has Sweet itch and I just wanted to not have him suffer for a whole season. The rug came with 3 parts so you had the face part which covered face but did not protect anything i.e ears and eyes were uncovered, then there was the bit that went over the top of head and covered the body and then there was a separate belly attachment.
Next year I will be careful about what I buy I thought I was onto something good. Instead I have heard back from the place I got it from and was told I fitted it wrong ?!!!!! WTF TBH ive had enough from the rug and the place, never again. Although after all the repairs I feel I could make my own im quite handy with the needle and thread lol!!

purplestar

Visit site
I wouldnt be without my rambo flybuster my horse is turned out with a yearling the well um does what yearlings do and it has proved to be very tough ..... Though not every rug will suit every hors shape.

ibot

Visit site
I was trying to be careful and not name it as you know how that comes and bites you on the bum!!! but I got it from Cornerstones its on the ebay site but they make to measure well kind of!!

ibot

Visit site
Hi I have heard back from them but they have said that I have not fitted the rug correctly??? they have also not answered any of my problems with the rug, I had to move the position of the belly part due to him getting rubbed and I was told as it was in the incorrect postion that's why my horse had rubs but he has lots of rubs from the rug both in places he has never had them and the obvious places like around the front of the rug

so last email I sent her was basically me saying that the rug has driven me mad and ive never had so much problems with a rug before.
TBH its sitting down stairs on my floor after I have attempted to mend it AGAIN!! I did not spend that money for it to end up on my floor.
And breath ............ Ok im calm lol

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have a Rambo and a Shires SI rugs and they are both brilliant although the Shires does rub his shoulders a little but nothing to bad. Can't remember how much I paid for the Rambo but the Shires was about £50.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
OP if it was described as a fly rug then it probably won't be up to a SI horses punishment, only a branded all over very tough and probably expensive sweet itch specific one will cope with the treatment a SI horse will try to give it. even then there may still be repairs etc required as part of the territory.

Not to say the rug isn't at fault too but fly rugs aren't designed to cope with The things that SI horses do to themselves in the urge to rid themselves of the terrible itching, it needs to be a Boett blanket or similar.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ah yes I see now OP what sort of rug it is............ I think this (yet another) imitation of the "Boett" rug - I had a rug something like this, tho' not the same brand or bought from this particular company. And yes, I WILL name and shame it, it was a "Pagony" which basically fell to pieces as soon as I looked at it and just didn't fit however you put it on. It was dangerous too, it had this clicking fastening thing along the back of it which you were supposed to click the head/neck bit onto - when my boy was at livery and wearing the rug, I had a phone call to say he'd somehow got this back-strap thingey over one of his hind legs:( Luckily he was OK, but the consequences could have been horrendous. After that I put it on the fire and good riddance.

So I am feeling your pain. And can understand why you'er so Peed off.

IME these sort of rugs are simply more trouble than they're ever worth. I have never tried the Boett SI rug proper - they're terribly expensive but I know people who use them and they say they work OK, if a tad complicated to get on.

For my SI boy I use the "Rambo Sweet Itch hoody" and/or the Premier Equine rugs. Much easier to get on and off, and do the job.

D66

Visit site
I had a boett rug for an SI pony a few years back. The service was brilliant, helpful person on the phone, mix and match sizes, home machine washable, home sewing machine mendable - and came with some spare patches. The pony soon got used to having it put on over his head and it protected his coat from sun bleaching and polished it as well. Expensive initially but it lasted over two years of nearly full time wear and you could even put the saddle on over the top. I only bought a second one because the elastic had started to give. You save money on lotions and potions because you just don't have to buy them.

ibot

Visit site
I did get a rug which was meant to be designed for SI horse as normally I get a couple a season so I thought spending more might get me happily to autumn but I was wrong.

Not sure what I am going to do about next year I find the rugs that have the Velcro slip down the neck so end up all gathered up so do not protect at all. I have looked at the premier equine one and it looks good its just the neck that puts me off.
If I can get a job before summer maybe ill try and save for the Boett rug but im not sure paddy would not do the same with that also, such a monkey!!!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I did get a rug which was meant to be designed for SI horse as normally I get a couple a season so I thought spending more might get me happily to autumn but I was wrong.

Not sure what I am going to do about next year I find the rugs that have the Velcro slip down the neck so end up all gathered up so do not protect at all. I have looked at the premier equine one and it looks good its just the neck that puts me off.
If I can get a job before summer maybe ill try and save for the Boett rug but im not sure paddy would not do the same with that also, such a monkey!!!

The Shires SI rug is fantastic, it comes up over the ears so it covers the whole of the neck area and my cob has had it on for about two months now and has only got it off his ears once. I then use a fly mask with it as well to protect his face. You can get a matching shires one but I had one already so just use that. It was about £55. Worth it's weight in gold!! It has rubbed his shoulders slightly but nothing much and it doesn't move when he rolls in it. I also have a Rambo one but that just comes to the top of his neck and it does slide down hence the reason for buying the Shires.