Rant alert!

not_with_it

Visit site
Feel free to ignore nut I really need to get this off my chest.

I am on DIY livery and have 2 fields which I can do what I like with. I have a mare and foal (now a yearling). They have been in the same field all winter so I have one with grass for spring. I put out hay so they are not hungry although I am sure they would much prefer a field full of grass.

Another livery has the 2 fields next to mine. A further livery has recently moaned that her field was too much of a walk away. The horse was on full livery mon-fri. YO said she could go into another field 2 fields away from mine which is for the other mare. You still with me? (although its the same distance from the yard:rolleyes:)
Livery comes down and other mare is in the field which YO said she could have. Owner was unaware but thats a different story. So livery puts her mare in field next to my 2 as its the only 1 that is spare. This was about 3 weeks ago.

Since then I have had nothing but problems. My mare hates her and has become really possesive over her foal which she never was. Liverys mare hoons around the field setting my 2 off and stands right next to the fence. My mare is by no means nasty and is usually a pushover. She has never been aggresive with other horse but charges at this one. She has come in with cuts on her legs and spins round me when I fetch her in past this mare.

I have spoken to YO who has told me to swap them over. I wont get involved with other peoples horses so was asked to ask the owners when I see them if she doesnt see them first. (mare was never meant to be in this field anyway) She has since taken her off full livery.

Tonight I saw the mare owner and asked her if she would mind swapping. She moaned about the other field having less grass but eventually agreed.
She has just text me saying she is not happy and moaning that there is no grass in the other field. There is more grass than in mine! I have told her to take it up with the YO.

I am probably over reacting but everyone else has had the same field all winter and has been restricting grazing so the fields dont get trashed. Im just getting sick off my mare coming in with cuts and them hooning around. I also dont want her getting possesive over her foal as it will make weaning that bit more difficult.

Sorry for the rant but it helps to talk.:D

SusieT

Visit site
Sorry.. but if her horse is in a different field then you can't blame it for 'upsetting' your darling mare...
Stop being a drama queen and be glad you have your own field to do with as you please to a certain extent.
Horses can't be controlled in the field!

M'n'M

Visit site
I understand your frustration but I have to agree with SusueT. It's not your horse, not your field, and not your business what another owner is doing. The horse is not in the same field as yours so you have no argument. Sorry. But good luck and hopefully this person gets a different field.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Thats the reality of life on a livery yard. Other horses are there too. Sorry, it is a pain, I know, but sometimes you just have to put up and shut up or look else where.

Fii

Visit site
Sorry really late and i could'nt follow that very well, but what difference did it make swapping them over.
And this is just my opinion, but i would have weaned the foal before it was a year old, that may be part of the problem.

not_with_it

Visit site
Sorry really late and i could'nt follow that very well, but what difference did it make swapping them over.
And this is just my opinion, but i would have weaned the foal before it was a year old, that may be part of the problem.

My mare gets on with the other mare and isnt bothered by her at all whereas she has taken an extreme dislike to the new mare, to the point where she charges at her over the fence and has been coming in with cuts.
Shes not even supposed to be in that field but it was the only spare field so the owner, not YO, took it upon herself to use that field. YO had already shown her which field to use and it wasnt that one.

Susie T, take that twist out of your knickers. You just came across as a b*tch. Thank god my YO understands that some horses just dont get on and is willing to sort the situation.

michaelequine

Visit site
Sorry.. but if her horse is in a different field then you can't blame it for 'upsetting' your darling mare...
Stop being a drama queen and be glad you have your own field to do with as you please to a certain extent.
Horses can't be controlled in the field!

she has the right to be concerned about her horses!
evryone should stop having a go at her your not in her shoes

SusieT get over yourself. :D

scarymare

Visit site
Ignore the weaning comments as the posters clearly aren't experienced - if more people allowed natural weaning there would be far fewer attachment issues. Sounds like her mare could do with a field mate (attachment again) but I have to agree that it is part of being at livery.

Hope it sorts though.

morrismob

Visit site
Wow ! Is no one allowed to have a bit of a rant without all the fuss ! And as for weaning surely that's a personal issue and not one the poor girl was asking about ! So glad I am not on a livery yard !

Pipkin

Visit site
Susie T, take that twist out of your knickers. You just came across as a b*tch. Thank god my YO understands that some horses just dont get on and is willing to sort the situation.

TBH she`s like this most days... :)

I`m missing where the OP asked for this to be turned into a bitch fest or where she asked for advice. Thread title is Rant alert, Not please advise :rolleyes: and before anyone gets on their high horse with the whole freedom of speech crap, have a bit of common courtesy and word posts in a non bitchy way....:rolleyes:

OP ...know what your going through....used to get fed up of my lot coming in with marks from other horses. At least your YO is trying to resolve the situation. :)

bensababy

Visit site
Sorry have re-edited after reading your second post which said she put them in wrong field.. apologies. In which case your YO needs to get on the case and hoof her out.

Last edited:

not_with_it

Visit site
Thankyou to all the sensible people who have replied.

bensababy - I have my reasons for not weaning yet. Gin has never been possesive over her foal and has NEVER acted this way towards another horse. I have said this before but this mare was never meant to be in this field anyway. There is no difference between the fields whatsoever. Everyone else puts out hay as there is no grass. The owner is just having a paddy, its not her horse who comes in with cut legs but if they stay together I was worried her horse may be injured too.

bensababy

Visit site
Thankyou to all the sensible people who have replied.

bensababy - I have my reasons for not weaning yet. Gin has never been possesive over her foal and has NEVER acted this way towards another horse. I have said this before but this mare was never meant to be in this field anyway. There is no difference between the fields whatsoever. Everyone else puts out hay as there is no grass. The owner is just having a paddy, its not her horse who comes in with cut legs but if they stay together I was worried her horse may be injured too.

Nat1003 - sorry i edited my post as read your second post - apologies i missed what you had said about being in wrong field. If you have your reasons for not weaning fair enough - thats your choice no one can judge unless they know reasons. Hope this gets resolved for you.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
Sorry your mare has taken against the other mare, it happens sometimes, my lad generally hates almost all other horses, so at least yours is not that bad.

Could you put an electric tape a few feet in front of your side of the fence, that would stop your mare getting hurt.

I know it was what you wrote about but as to weaning, well how many fully grown horses do you see still feeding from their mothers in the wild? I applaud your wishing to keep it natural, hopefully if I ever breed off Fany I would like a natural weaning, which IMHO leads to a more self confident , secure offspring.

FDC

emmaln

Visit site
I think I can understand if your yard is anything like mine we have individual grazing and rent specific paddocks! I have 3 for three horses which I graze and rest as I please! I would be livid If someone put their horses into the field I have been saving! When you're tight for space every blade counts! Hope your YO steps up and sorts it!!!

Vindaloo

Visit site
Goodness, I bet you didn't expect to have some of those replies did you? I am sitting here chilled out with a glass of vino and am amazed at the tone of some posts.

Just wanted to say hope it gets sorted out.

x

Fii

Visit site
Ignore the weaning comments as the posters clearly aren't experienced - if more people allowed natural weaning there would be far fewer attachment issues. Sounds like her mare could do with a field mate (attachment again) but I have to agree that it is part of being at livery.

Hope it sorts though.

As i stated, it was just my opinion about weaning, NOT saying that the op was wrong. We all do things differently which does'nt mean either way is the wrong way.

And what is natural weaning, i have seen 3yr olds still trieing to suckle when left with a mare. The onley way iit can be done naturaly is for the mare to have a foal every year, so the new born takes over at the udder.
Any way nat, i hope you did'nt think i was being bitchy last night, it was'nt my intention.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Electric fencing a couple of meters out in to the field along the boundry to stop any 'over the fence squabling', and problem sorted.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I am amazed at the delicate souls who shout rudeness when others simply post their opinion!
With regard to the issue about the horse being in the next field, that is life! We have our own land at home, our horses are in our fields, we have three neighbours with fields that border ours, they put their horses wherever they please on their land. It is up to me to ensure that our horses are safe, it is not the responsibility of my neighbours to ensure that their horses being in fields next to mine don't 'upset' mine fgs. The only time there was an exception to that golden rule was when the novice owners who have one parcel of land, bought a three year old entire, who got into anothers neighbours land and ran their elderly gelding down. If they are at their side of the wall, then that is the end of their responsibility.
On another note the only youngster I knew who was expected to wean herself, as the mare did not have a further foal, was the most ill mannered, rude animal and had awful attachment problems, as she had never been away from her Dam.

bensababy

Visit site
I think it was probably more the comment "have you heard of weaning????" which to me isnt an opinion its more of a narky question.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I now know why I never post in NL. People are far more polite in other areas of the forum and are less like sheep.:D

It always amazes me when people say that (in a post in NL :rolleyes:)...
Don't you think that quite a few posters at least read if not post in all areas of the forum? Or is it that otherwise polite and considerate posters in other areas reserve their dose of sarcasm, rudeness and general b!tchiness for their appearances in NL?