Rare white tiger kills keeper

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
They probably had to kill it as a last resort as the report says that it wouldn't let go
frown.gif

Reading that report though I didn't realise that the 'Lion Man' didn't own the zoo - his mother does. Aways comes across in the series that its his zoo
confused.gif

U_T2009

Visit site
As far as i know, white tigers arn't that rare. Assuming that it was a bengal tiger, that is. There are several thousand of them around the world, all of which we know of are in zoos.

The whiteness is caused by a gene. A wild white tiger was captured in India ages ago, and through selective breeding their numbers have damaically increased. Personally i think more effot should be made to breed the original 'orange'
tongue.gif
version, as at least they could be reintroduced back in to the wild, the white ones are just a mutant variety, simular to the albino gene.

As for destroying the animal, i guess once it knows it can kill a person, its lost its repect for people and could do it again.

Sorry if this post makes no sense, one too many glasses of wine last night!

muffinino

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Very sad, and traumatic for those that saw it............but WHY did they have to destroy the tiger? Surely if it was rare they shoudn't have?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8069462.stm

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd imagine he was shot in an attempt to get him off the keeper. It may also be that once an animal like that has attacked a human, it's policy to kill it, similar to what happens to dangerous dogs. Even though I adore tigers and know they're endangered, I think putting down an animal that is known to attack humans, especially one as powerful as that, is the right thing to do.

foxviewstud

www.foxviewstud.co.uk
sorry but this has made me really angry, these animals are highly dangerous predator that could decide to attack at any point, why why why put yourself in danger by being a prat and being in the enclosure with the animal loose,you wouldnt do it if the animal wasnt in an enclosure?? i have watched this programe only a few times and thought at the time it would end in tears because these animals are not domesticated like dogs and now that tiger has had its life cut short for someones stupidity, i thought they were captive for breeding purposes not to try and make into a pet??? sorry rant over

dunthing

Visit site
That park has recently lost Craig Busch who hand raised a lot of the big cats there. His mother owns the park and he was sacked last november. The staff there are all new to the cats and one very large white male tiger was said to be dangerous in one of the "lion man" programmes." He wouldn't go into the enclosure with it. Maybe someone took an incredibly stupid risk and paid the price. Very sad. He was trying to breed a white tiger cub to send to Africa as they had given him a white lion cub in exchange.

Finns Mum

Visit site
Craig Busch was the heart and soul of that place, I suppose there are two sides of every story but sounds like his mother has caused a lot of suffering all round.

The tiger that killed the keeper was not the white tiger he referred to in his recent program.

Very sad and my thoughts go to the family of the keeper killed.

Perhaps his mother will now come to her senses and reinstate Craig with his cats.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
why on earth was the keeper in with him in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my point.

They are wild animals. They are dangerous animals. We caged the thing, and then when it reverted to its normal behaviour it was killed.

It makes me quite sad.... Yes a man died, that is sad to, but what kinda wally goes in a cage with a loose tiger?! Even if for some reason it was though of as 'tame'.

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my point.

They are wild animals. They are dangerous animals. We caged the thing, and then when it reverted to its normal behaviour it was killed.

It makes me quite sad.... Yes a man died, that is sad to, but what kinda wally goes in a cage with a loose tiger?! Even if for some reason it was though of as 'tame'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. Fair enough if a dog turns nasty and starts biting random people in the street - yes put it down.

But a Tiger? It shouldn't have been put down for that - they know the risks of keeping them. It should have been darted to get the man out and then released back in the wild if it was too dangerous to keep there.

Its awful that a man lost his life but I'm truly saddened they destroyed such a rare and beautiful animal through no fault of its own - its what it does...

muffinino

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. Fair enough if a dog turns nasty and starts biting random people in the street - yes put it down.

But a Tiger? It shouldn't have been put down for that - they know the risks of keeping them. It should have been darted to get the man out and then released back in the wild if it was too dangerous to keep there.

Its awful that a man lost his life but I'm truly saddened they destroyed such a rare and beautiful animal through no fault of its own - its what it does...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry but there's no way a captive animal like that would survive in the wild without significant habitualisation. It’s far too tame to be turned out in the wild, it would not survive. Coupled with the fact that it was not frightened of people and has already killed a person, it would be extremely dangerous to people in the wild or captive.

It’s not fair; it’s awful and extremely sad for all involved, especially the tiger, but seeing as the it had killed once, it is probably too dangerous to let it live (I’m not a big cat expert, obviously, but if they lose their natural fear of people, these things happen). Yes, the man was a numpty for going in the cage with a tiger but it may be that he was led to believe they were good around people. Personally I wouldn’t trust any big cat (or any cat full stop) no matter how ‘tame’ it was but then a lot of people would say we are crazy for sitting on half a ton of crazy horse so it is possible to get used to and get a bit careless with animals.

meandmyself

Visit site
Very sad, but I think they did the right thing. Keeping the tiger alive would have been like keeping a timebomb around.

SillySausage

Visit site
Has a reason been giving for Craig's own mother sacking him out of interest?

I've always thought he has a very sensible level headed attitude towards his cats... it's such a shame this has happened.

MagicMelon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Very sad, but I think they did the right thing. Keeping the tiger alive would have been like keeping a timebomb around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arent ALL wild animals "timebombs"? Sorry, but I think these accidents only happen when keepers loose respect for these dangeorus animals. Poor tiger IMO.

hellybelly6

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Arent ALL wild animals "timebombs"? Sorry, but I think these accidents only happen when keepers loose respect for these dangeorus animals. Poor tiger IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely!

I play with my moggy with my finger and when she gets me and makes me bleed, its my fault not hers. I have been in hospital with an infected cat bite - different cat. It was injured and I picked it up to take it to a vets.

This is what a small moggy can do, you dont have to be a rocket scientist to realise that a tiger can and will kill, its instinct.

merlinsquest

Visit site
Poor Tiger.... poor man, but it was his choice to take the risk surely??

A wild animal should be exempt from execution, if WE decide it should live a life in a cage
frown.gif
frown.gif

PinkFairy

Visit site
There was a dispute over the management and I'm not sure, but also possibly the publicity and growing interest in the park. Craig, I think, has a court case against unfair dismissal against his mother.

As for the man being a "numpty" for going in there, he may well have been in there a few times before and had no worries, you never know, but any animal at all could turn nasty, without you expecting it. Tragic accident.
frown.gif

imafluffybunny

Visit site
Surely it can't be blamed on the tiger, it is a wild animal and didn't choose to be caged. I agree the animal shouldn't be released into the wild but why pts when it knows no different. Its like pts a cat for catching a mouse.