Rash on withers

dwi

Visit site
Daisy was clipped a week ago and tonight came up with a noticeable rash on both sides of the mane on her withers.

Its an areas of small hard lumps under the hair, no pus, weeping or heat. Its under her rug so can't be rainscald. In front of where her numnah sits so it can't be that

She's had the same rug and same clip all winter so I don't think it could be the rug rubbing all of a sudden

No-one on the yard has any ideas, any thoughts?

Last year she had some waxy scabs on her back that left bald patches and its clearly not the same thing but I don't want this going bald either because we're going to start doing coloured classes this year.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Could it be a reaction to the clipper oil? My mare always gets a rash after being clipped. These coloureds are soooo delicate!!!
wink.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I haven't ever bothered rinsing the rash, but might help (could even hibi scrub). Sparks rash seems to appear btw 2-5 days after she has been clipped, so could take a week to come out. I don't know for sure that hers is related to the clipped oil, have just assumed so, as she always gets one a few days after she is clipped. Sparks will even get a rash on her shoulder, when only her legs have been clipped, so don't think washing would help (unless I did it staight after she has been clipped - maybe I should
blush.gif
). I can't use stain removers on Sparks either as they make her really itchy.