Rather Large Hairy Varmits

xDundryx

Visit site
I'm on a DIY yard who's owners are lax to say the least, damaged rotten fencing that gets bodged as a quick cheap fix, fields that never get rolled or harrowed so now the hardcore has come up to the surface with all the pounding from the weather causing me to have horses on box rest with sore feet. Add to this leaky stables with suspect doors... It's a treat (I am desperatly looking for alternatives but these options are few and far between)

So if all that wasn't enough we have a bad rat problem, I reported it a month ago after finding 4 trashed rugs which had to be destroyed (these were hung neatly up but they have rat runs in the walls!) There are feral cats around but judging by the amount of mice as well they are next to useless and the empty bait boxes tell me that nothings been done.

There is no contract between YO and Livery so I guess its just a case of harping on until they do something? No-one else on the yard seems remotely interested, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting something to be done especially as there are children and dogs that come up to the yard.

Anyone had any similar experiences, how did you get YO to do something??

Snuffles

Visit site
Usually you have to vote with your feet Im afraid or do it yourself. I have been on a yard like this and stayed because of the wonderful hacking. I ended up replacing fencing and door bolts. Once I moved away onto a properly maintained yard I marvel how I stood it !

wkiwi

Visit site
I would assume that if you create a fuss you will just get kicked off anyway as yard owner obviously isn't interested and you have no contract.
Would the yard owner have any objections to you having the fields rolled and harrowed (local farmer here rolled paddock for £20); stable door fixed (old retired builder did a shed door for us for peanuts); put rat traps out (not expensive from ag stores and a lot cheaper than replacing rugs); electric tape and a battery unit to keep your horses away from the dangerous fence (worth the investment as cheaper than a stitch up by a vet on a sunday, and you can take it with you when you leave).
This would at least make a difference while you are finding somewhere else.

xDundryx

Visit site
I've already put bolts on the doors and hubby patches fencing where he can, unfortunately they refuse to let anyone do the fields and don't like it if you offer to find someone and pay the cost yourself (as I found out!) I've always been on DIY yards and more than happy to self help if/when needed however it's a very strange set up, sometimes the more you do, the more you will get doing, yet on another day if you take the initiative and do something, say fix a fence post, you get drawn over hot coals for it.

I know people have different ideas about DIY but surely you're still paying for a service, a safe environment for you and the horses. The yard itself is advertised and run as a business so surely they have a duty to maintain it or at least sort out the vermin problem :/ And it's not at the cheapest end of the scale either.

I've given myself a month to find another yard for all of our sanity and my bank balance.

WandaMare

Visit site
You could ring the council and say you were passing by and saw rats at the yard. With any luck they will send their pest control person to investigate.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
You could ring the council and say you were passing by and saw rats at the yard. With any luck they will send their pest control person to investigate.

This sounds a good idea! No one has to know it was you, you won't be the bad guy and maybe someone in a better position might be able to persuade them to do something?
On a completely different note and a genuine question (swear I'm not being picky!) is it varmit or varmint? I've always said VarmiNt but seeing how you have it makes me wonder if I'm wrong?!

asmp

Visit site
We have a bad rat problem too but luckily our farmer will put poison down even though it doesn't do much good as there's so many of the damn things. After having a couple of rugs chewed (they always go for the best ones) I got a couple of large chest freezers from Freecycle to keep sacks of food and rugs in.

xDundryx

Visit site
oh you might be right! I've always said varmit but could be very wrong ���� I like the council idea, anyone who drives in/wanders around can spot them they're so bloody brazen!

Cecile

Visit site
I once had rats move into the barn after a straw delivery, you cannot believe the damage and potential fire risk they caused by gnawing through the electric wires. I become like a terrier if I so much as see any evidence of them now

OP I would move asap there really must be somewhere better than where you are, I'm not sure why no-one else (Other liveries) seem to be bothered by all the awful things you list on your yard, there has to be better yards than this in your area

popsdosh

Visit site
oh you might be right! I've always said varmit but could be very wrong ���� I like the council idea, anyone who drives in/wanders around can spot them they're so bloody brazen!

What ? will that achieve there is no legal requirement to deal with them.

Move out and leave them to it.

Last edited: