RC moan

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I wish they would keep there websites up to date so many of them have shows and things which appear on riding diary but cannot get details as out of date.
My 2nd moan about RC is I want to do some flatwork lessons and they always seem to be on a tuesday at 11am. It really irritates me as I work full time and RC is so much cheaper than a private lesson.
Ruddy RC annoys me so much but unfortunately without my own school is a necessary evil.
Anyone else have same feelings towards RC?

spaniel

Visit site
You arent the only one I know who moans about the timings of clinics and rallies, dont they realise people work!!!

BBs

Visit site
Totally agree with you Lec.

My riding club used top trainers, but 99.9% of the time on a Wednesday and for as little as £9 a session
frown.gif

It really isnt far for the likes of us full time workers
frown.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
How stupid is that!! Do they assume that no-one works?I would ring up and just gently state your point of view- nothing ventured, nothing gained!
At least you have some good instructors with your RC- I cannot believe some of the trainers that they have with my RC.

LEC

Visit site
I am sure the majority of RC members work full time. Most of the jumping clinics are in the evening but its the flatworks ones I want to do!
I went to the resi camp this year and it was really good fun but it did make me laugh!
I want to do an eventers weekend at SLM in Feb/March just looked at prices and it will probably be about £110 which is what my RC charged for Friday to Sunday including everything. Anyone interested?

LEC

Visit site
I have sent an email before and after that I got a reputation for being 'difficult'! I am actually pretty easy going and can understand how difficult it is to set this stuff up but things still annoy me as I am not just a happy hacker. I wrote about group sizes as went to one lesson on Jim who is a star and we jumped twice and barely had any comments. I watched 5 people refuse, fall off and generally be crap so felt my £12 was totally wasted and was peed off.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think a lot of RC's hold training during the week because so many people compete at the weekends. Our RC holds training in the evenings though (up to 10.30 which I find way too late!). I dont mind during the week training though as right now I can do them! But I can see it could be a problem for some. Training is reduced fees which is good, but I dont find the trainers particularily amazing so personally I prefer to go private through someone else (and pay about £20 more). I think it depends on what RC your in, in my area - there's 1 specific one which is geared more towards jumping people whereas another is mainly dressage people. I know 1 or 2 clubs who are more 'training' clubs who basically just do fun stuff and lessons all the time. Maybe you should look around and see if there's another club which might suit you more?

dieseldog

Visit site
The last RC I joined was very good, the only reason I joined was for the lessons. It used to be in the evening at West Wilts with Clayton Fredericks for about £15. Bargain.

Definatly interested in the SLM weekend.

LEC

Visit site
I hope I could get over 30 people interested in it. Will email SLM and see whether it is possible. I guess I would plan for end of Feb. At RC we had 1 flat, 1 Sj and 2 xc sessions which seemed to work. At the moment it is all talk so will have to see if I can pull it off.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The only way to change RC policy is to be more active in it, I know it takes up your time, but if the committee doesn't do what you want, join the committee. The biggest problems are that people want to compete, they do not recognise the work that goes into the organisation, stewarding etc, every time you do a hunter trial etc, several people have given up time before hand and given up time on the day, and the opportunity to compete themselves. If everyone gave a little time everyone could enjoy the days more.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
SLM thing sounds like a plan to me!! count me in!!

As for the times RCs put things on, ours is pretty good about that.. Helen (who owns Sula) organises pretty much everything in our RC
smile.gif

Quarrybank

Visit site
I'm on my riding club committe & we try and do something for everyone, however we get very little feed back & help from the members. We all work full time & have horses to ride but give up our time to run shows/ clinics/camp etc. We run clinics in the evening & odd weekends (as well as our shows & camp) but it all needs more organising than people realise.
I would say join your local clubs committe & then you will have input into what is organised & when. However you will need to give up some of your own freetime but you will be putting something back & I'm sure your club would be delighted to have someone to help spread the work & take ownership for one aspect of the clubs events.
We would gladly have any new committe member but struggle to find them.

dieseldog

Visit site
Re SLM,

you don't need to have many people going to stay the weekend if you don't want to use their instructors. Pontispool is also an option. But SLM might have their indoor school by then...

vivhewe

Visit site
I hate mine!

I never get sent anything or know when anything is on, and the only correspondence I've had since the pleasure ride which they cancelled the night before it was to run because I was the only entry (and I wasn't told and didn't know where it was starting anyway) was an invite to the christmas party at £25 a head! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

*and breathe
grin.gif

LEC

Visit site
I have emailed SLM for avaliability for 30 people at the end of Feb as I know the xc opens in Feb again. I will also try Pontispool.

Fiona

Visit site
My sister in law joined a RC (she lives near Liphook) before she saw a copy of their schedule, and it turned out that all the members were "ladies who lunch" and ALL their activities were during the day midweek. She was not impressed.

Here all the RC activities are in the evening, and occasionally weekend.

Have to admit my RC doesn't keep website too 'up to date' either.

Fiona

4whitesocks

Visit site
have to say mine is excellent - but very quiet in the winter due to everyone hunting....during the summer though we meet Mond or Tues evening, earliest session is 7.30 and I get regular texts from the secretary about events etc.

nelgonde

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wish they would keep there websites up to date so many of them have shows and things which appear on riding diary but cannot get details as out of date.
My 2nd moan about RC is I want to do some flatwork lessons and they always seem to be on a tuesday at 11am. It really irritates me as I work full time and RC is so much cheaper than a private lesson.
Ruddy RC annoys me so much but unfortunately without my own school is a necessary evil.
Anyone else have same feelings towards RC?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just read this, Mid-Somerset Riding Club do lessons on Monday nights at Millfield.

I think it's £10 for members, £15 for non which is good considering the instructor.