Re-Assure me PLEASE!!!!

KJJ

Visit site
As some of you may know... Jaggles got really bad rainscald on his HEAD & EARS at the beginning of October...

It was so bad that I couldn't even touch it and nothing that I managed to get on would penetrate through the scabs to loosen..

Well now the scabs are starting to loosen and come off when rubbed the wrong way...

Hmmm Jags now looks like he has his brain on the outside of his head as there are pink fleshy areas where the scabs have come off surrounded by dark fur...

So please re-assure me that:

1) His ears aren't going to fall off

and

2) His fur will grow back

I have not put any treatment on it at all but now feel that because there are 'holes' in the scab (was oe huge scab across fore-head and ears) meaning that I can get to his skin/inbetween scabs... that I could/should now maybe wash with Malesab?

Do you think that wise? Or should I leave well alone?

frown.gif
frown.gif

fairhill

Visit site
I'm sorry, but imagining him with no ears made me LOL...

Anyway, if it was mudfever on his legs what would you do???

Personally, I'd give it a gentle wash with your malesab and some of the loose scabs should come off, and it will help with any residual infection. Did your vet give you any cream for treating it? If so, carry on using it, if not I'd probably be inclined to leave it alone as it's obviously healing in it's own time.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but imagining him with no ears made me LOL...

[/ QUOTE ]PMSL!! It's no joke!!
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, if it was mudfever on his legs what would you do???

[/ QUOTE ]Erm wash with Hibi and dry - then apply "Prevent it"....
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I'd give it a gentle wash with your malesab and some of the loose scabs should come off, and it will help with any residual infection. Did your vet give you any cream for treating it? If so, carry on using it, if not I'd probably be inclined to leave it alone as it's obviously healing in it's own time.

[/ QUOTE ]No - vet said it would heal in own time... so no ointment...

I think I may wash as have left it so long (as that was all that worked - not due to neglect - it has been dry and cold which has helped!!) ... that way I shall combat the infection by getting it wet once... hmmm!!

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sov had rainscald when I got him. He is still sensitive about some areas, but I used a rag or cloth with olive oil.

[/ QUOTE ]The Oil wouldn't soak in.. was trying Aloe Vera Gel but it just sat ontop of scabs
frown.gif

druid

Visit site
Weezy has a good trick on applying hot damp towels to the affected areas to remove gunk, unmat the hair and loosen the scabs - could you try an improvised version with a face cloth on his head?

fairhill

Visit site
Sorry - couldn't help myself!
It sounds like the scabs are ready for a wash to help move them - and if nothing else it might make his head a bit less itchy... less chance of dislodging an ear then by accident...

Aloe vera will probably help soothe the 'pink bits' now if you can get to them as well.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
You really need to bathe it with hibbiscrub to ease the scabs off and then apply the cream - poor Jaggles!
frown.gif
(We found that demobian worked wonders but you can't get this anymore - maybe someone has some tucked away though? (We have
wink.gif
) )
Kate x

sally2008

Visit site
Scabby git!!!!
grin.gif

I'd be inclined to gently Malesab or Hibiscrub them, say once a week, and leave them to dry and heal in between if they are improving.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Weezy has a good trick on applying hot damp towels to the affected areas to remove gunk, unmat the hair and loosen the scabs - could you try an improvised version with a face cloth on his head?

[/ QUOTE ]The scab are so matted that the hair will not unmatted - it is literally falling out with the scab!! Ewww!!

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry - couldn't help myself!
It sounds like the scabs are ready for a wash to help move them - and if nothing else it might make his head a bit less itchy... less chance of dislodging an ear then by accident...

[/ QUOTE ]LMAO!! - Arrrrggghhh I'm paranoid about pulling his ears off or easing a scab off to reveal a hole in his ear!!
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Aloe vera will probably help soothe the 'pink bits' now if you can get to them as well.

[/ QUOTE ]I did think that as it soaks in rather than sits ontop...

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You really need to bathe it with hibbiscrub to ease the scabs off and then apply the cream - poor Jaggles!
frown.gif
(We found that demobian worked wonders but you can't get this anymore - maybe someone has some tucked away though? (We have
wink.gif
) )
Kate x

[/ QUOTE ]Erm will ask about the demobian.. but the only thing anyone had was hibiscrub.. HOWEVER I have notice YO has Malaseb so will tealeaf a bit of that!!
tongue.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Scabby git!!!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I know and now he looks like his brain is on the OUTSIDE of his head!!
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be inclined to gently Malesab or Hibiscrub them, say once a week, and leave them to dry and heal in between if they are improving.

[/ QUOTE ]Right thats it - am malesabing tonight with warm water - will see what that produces!!

I hope it doesn't mean his ears fall off!! PMSL!!

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yucky, poor Jags...I'd guess the heat and damp would still help ease them off though?

[/ QUOTE ]True - I think in that case I shall Malaseb him tonight with warm water!!

SSM

Visit site
Poor boy, it's not been his year.

What about Camerosa - or am I talking out of my arse??
shocked.gif
I have never had to deal with rain scald but have seen all those ads in H&H and Tia swears by the stuff.

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personally if leaving it alone has worked this far and it doesn't seem pussy or infected then I'd continue with the leave well alone theory.

[/ QUOTE ]Hmm you see Alibabe... when the scabs come off they are yellow and slimy underneath but DO leave 'pink' wet flesh... should I get straight in and fight the infection as soon as the scab comes off??

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Poor boy, it's not been his year.

[/ QUOTE ]Nope
frown.gif
But then TBVH neither was last year - what with being shot in the leg/poking his eye on the hedge in the field and box rest due to unknown leg injury!!!!
[ QUOTE ]
What about Camerosa - or am I talking out of my arse??
shocked.gif
I have never had to deal with rain scald but have seen all those ads in H&H and Tia swears by the stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]My only reservation with that is that it would keep the area moist - albeit stop the air getting to it - it would still be wet!!

fairhill

Visit site
The vet gave me malaseb, and flamazine instead of dermobian when my girl got a fungal infection on her legs - it's good stuff, and has helped clear up her scabs. She's still got all 4 legs... so far....

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The vet gave me malaseb, and flamazine instead of dermobian when my girl got a fungal infection on her legs - it's good stuff, and has helped clear up her scabs. She's still got all 4 legs... so far....

[/ QUOTE ]LOL!! Ok cool... shall give the malaseb a go then
smile.gif

HBII

Visit site
Hi KJJ

I have never had any experience of RS personally but I would try to keep the area clean and dry, could you use salt water?

Anyway big hugs and auntie Sylvia sends some fur for Jags to borrow.

Hb

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi KJJ

I have never had any experience of RS personally but I would try to keep the area clean and dry, could you use salt water?

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks GH, am gunna go with the Malesab (anti fungal shampoo) and see how that goes!!

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway big hugs and auntie Sylvia sends some fur for Jags to borrow.

Hb

[/ QUOTE ]Sylvia?!? Eh??