re: breeding coloured to arab

genie

Visit site
Hiya everybody.....I am brand new to the forum and am desperately hoping that someone can please help.

I recently moved from Hull cos of my husbands job ( he works away on the oil rigs) and I am left with my beautiful mares which I use for breeding.

I am in Northern scotland.was wondering if anyone had any good stallions to recommend to me?...........Ideally a decent arab with olde english and crabbet bloodlines to put to my coloured mares?

Also, would like to know about a good natured Hanoverian /warmblood for wonderful thoroughbred mare who has picasso/donatello breeding.(shernazeer/shergar lines).and, I don't really fancy travelling too far. any help would be greatfully appreciated.

kirsti

Visit site
it might be worth you asking the same question on the 'Arabian Lines' forum as well, just to make sure you get as much help as you can.
I have an arab gelding and have asked various questions using this H&H forum and the arab one and have had brilliant help from both.

htobago

Visit site
Hi genie - and welcome!

Your mares sound super - do you have any pics of them you could post, just to give us an idea so we can be more help in suggesting stallions?

With AI you don't have to restrict yourself to local stallions - most of the top Arabs are available by chilled semen, so you can look anywhere in the country for the one that best suits your girls.

But there is a Scottish Regional Group of the Arab Horse Society - and I'm pretty sure they have a website (try Google) where you could find out what stallions are available locally.

Arabian Lines would also be a good place to ask.

Coloured PBAs are becoming very popular, I think. What breed(s) are your coloured mares?

Damien

Visit site
The Scottish Regional Arab Group website is

http://www.arab-horses-scotland.co.uk/
smile.gif

genie

Visit site
Hi.thanx so much for replying.

So far the vets up here seem good..but only with dogs and cattle etc. My vet before we moved was fantastic and AI was never a problem but I think it may be up here.one thing to AI a cow another entirely to do a horse. Maybe I could go on some course and learn to do this for myself???.any ideas on this one?

My breeding programme was established over 20 years ago, I have my own arab stallion who is olde english/crabbet but only 14.1 hands high.even though I have to say he is amazing. could really do with a nice moving one around 15.2hh.also have a connemara colt by Arrow Javelin that we may keep to breed off aswell..just been offered a part share in a very nice New Forest Pony stallion who will also be a part of the breeding programme.

I have hanoverian mares and part bred arab foals and youngstock.( hanoverian mares are BHHS and pink papered)Best mare is by Medoc and is stunning , disappointed by the size of her foals though.

. We have a coloured pony and her yearling filly foal which should mature to around 14.2 /15hh. My problem now is that I can't breed with my stallion cos he would be related to all the girls.so, I want similar lines in arab to put the youngsters back to ....we have 4 other part bred coloureds by our stallion and are just letting them grow and see what they turn out like. All should mature to around 14.2 to 15hh but you just never know when you breed arab.X

I have 1 colt now aged 4 who was supposed to stop growing around 15hh(warmblood cross by Pie In The Sky) Now standing at 17.3hh......don't quite know what went wrong there. Think he has to be sold as I have no use for him. He is bay tobiano.perfect colouring, couldn't have asked for better but far too big for my needs.

would love to send pics and show them all off to you.thanx for asking for photos. did wonder what I was walking into the other day with all the cat fighting....thanx again anyway.

htobago

Visit site
Thanks for all the info genie - got a better idea now of what you're looking for.

There must be good equine/stud vets up there, surely? Maybe Opie would know - she's in Scotland...?

Otherwise you could go on a course at an AI centre. I know Twemlows do courses, and probably others do as well. AndyPandy our resident AI expert on here might do courses?!

The other thing would be to find out where your nearest good AI centre/vet is up there, and take the mare there to be inseminated - might be no further than taking her to stud...

I must have missed the cat-fight?? But would still love to see pics of your mares if you can post some - and of your Arab stally! What's his breeding?

Damien

Visit site
Further North Anastacia would be the best person to advise but found this.

http://www.kessockequinevets.co.uk/staff-keithchandler.php

The majority of mares bred by artifical insemmination are sent to Balcormo Stud. Leven, Fife who have over 30 years experience and breed on average 150 mares per year. We have 11 mares out of 12 inseminated with fresh chilled extended, fresh extended and frozen in foal for 2008.

Sam Duff also in Fife, operates an AI service and takes mares for insemmination of fresh chilled and Frozen semen and is renown to achieve very good results.

The Royal Dick Veterinary college also take mares for insemination and practice the most modern of insemination tequniques. They also use keyhole surgery tequniques for previously constated infertile mares using hormone therapy directly into the mares reproductive organs as opposed to via injection.