re old thread about young horses (5yo's) competing at Intermediate level....

ElleJS

Visit site
I was browsing the Le Lion d'Angers website to see the entries for the event and came across the 6yo ranking list. I was interested why the top horse had 95 FEI points at such a young age and over twice as many points as the horse in 2nd. Well I looked at its record on the FEI site and it had WON a CCI** as a 5yo.....

What was that thread a while back discussing some 5yo's competing at intermediate level being perhaps a step to much!? Well a 2*! Blimey.... :O

I didn't actually think under FEI rules a 5yo is allowed to do a CCI**?

Leg_end

Visit site
Blimey! Would be interested to see exactly why... And why the FEI gave permission (as surely they must have done?!)

Gamebird

Visit site
That's correct. Southern hemisphere horses have their birthday on July 1st not Jan 1st usually. However would that not make the horse 6 months younger rather than older than a Northern hemisphere horse with the same birth year?
Apologies if my maths is wrong, too early to think properly!

ps. how did that horse do that everyone got so worked up about? I think it was due to run at Burnham Market Int with a non-pro jockey?

Last edited:

caterpillar

Visit site
That's correct. Southern hemisphere horses have their birthday on July 1st not Jan 1st usually. However would that not make the horse 6 months younger rather than older than a Northern hemisphere horse with the same birth year?

ps. how did that horse do that everyone got so worked up about? I think it was due to run at Burnham Market Int with a non-pro jockey?

Jumped clear sj, 20pens intermediate.
4 faults sj, clear xc 1*

The horse does look to have a very good jumping record.

kerilli

Visit site

Ah, right, I wasn't thinking straight then, sorry. A 2* does seem a big ask for a 5 yr old... must be very precocious. where did it win the 2*? in Argentina or Europe? it'll be interesting to see how far it goes. Prob as tough as hell and will still be eventing at 18... ;) ;)

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Ah, right, I wasn't thinking straight then, sorry. A 2* does seem a big ask for a 5 yr old... must be very precocious. where did it win the 2*? in Argentina or Europe? it'll be interesting to see how far it goes. Prob as tough as hell and will still be eventing at 18... ;) ;)

That we be about right! And the baby that you moddy coddle (spell?) and leave to 'mature' breaks down at the thought of an Intro... :rolleyes: