Re-schooling - Would you be put off?

BeckyMason97

Visit site
I'm an experienced rider with experience in re-schooling problem horses. I have no problem with buckers, rearers, nappers etc, I'm willing to give anything to try.

The service I am offering is the owner brings their horse to my yard and see me ride the horse and decide whether they are happy to go ahead. If they are, the horse would be moved to my yard where I will care for the horse and work with it until I am happy that said horse is what the owners require, I will give regular updates on the horse inc professional photos and owners are welcome to come and see horse whenever they want.

But; I'm only 14. Which I think may put people off. I'm home schooled and spend all day everyday at the stables working with my own four and problem horses, as it's what I need to focus on for the career I would like to pursue.

Would my age put you off?

be positive

Visit site
Yes, you are too young and however experienced you think you are unless you have an adult to take responsibility and oversee what you are doing I cannot see many people sending you a horse.

There are also insurance implications I would think.

Batgirl

Visit site
Absolutely, would never send a horse to a 14 year, old, I doubt you would be insured, I doubt you would have the experience to truly re-school a horse and I would doubt the whole legitimacy of it.

BeckyMason97

Visit site
Yes, I thought so. I have adults working alongside me who are always willing to help and I would never ride on my own. I have references and insurance although obviously it means nothing.

I'll just stick to my own horses then.

WandaMare

Visit site
Hi, its great that you want to pursue a career helping people with their horses but I think at the moment you are too young. Maybe you could look for some different ways of getting more experience with a wide range of horses, eg helping out on a big yard etc. so that by the time you are old enough to reconsider this you will have more experience and a wider network of people who can recommend you. Good luck!

BeckyMason97

Visit site
Thank you.:) I am currently working on a fairly busy yard, I am responsible for 17 horses and a filly, two of which are for re-schooling, one I have re-schooled myself and the other I am assisting to re-school. I do have people who would recommend me but as people have said, my age puts them off.

I know straight away that my age immediately makes people think I don't have the experience but I believe I do and I have people who've been working in horses and show jumping for years who have told me the same and told others.

I will carry on helping with re-schooling alongside somebody else and working on my own four horses. Thank you.

dumbnag

Visit site
Good luck with your quest, I know plenty of people 20 or 30 years your senior who consider themselves experienced, but in realality probably only have half the experience you have. Age is not important , its having a feel and understanding of equines that can not be taught.

BeckyMason97

Visit site
Thank you, I ride the horses that are here for re-schooling in front of their owners quite often and they are always happy with the way I ride the horses and often surprised at my ability.

I wouldn't class myself as more experienced than most but I know my own ability as do the people I work with and I personally know I am capable and although age is just a number in some circumstances it does put people off.

If something comes up and people are happy to give me a try I will take the opportunity and hopefully build more of a reputation for myself.

Batgirl

Visit site
If you are as you say actually insured to do this (which I doubt, you may be insured to ride other peoples horses but actually insured to take money for re-schooling??) then word of mouth should work if you have others helping etc.

At 14 you can't actually have the sheer amount of experience unless you were riding before you were born, you may have ability but you cannot have the experience that I would look for, you cannot have competed at advanced level adult competitions as you are not an adult.

If you are as good as you say you are then word of mouth would suffice to start and you can build a reputation. I would also like to know who your insurers are and what you are insured to do?

This being said, stick to your dream, you will just have to work that much harder as you are so young.