Re. Stallion Temps, should we comment?

severnmiles

Visit site
Should we comment on stallions who pass on traits whether they be mental or physical traits on HHO or is this classed as defamatory?

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
I don't think it's defamatory, as it's only an oppinion? This defamatory can be taken way too far as with PC. I'll no go down that road but no I don't think it is

S_N

Visit site
LOL - precisely why I haven't been drawn into Druid's thread - tempting though! I reckon it would be defamatory, esp. if the stallion is still alive or still has offspring competing (if deceased) or has sired stallions who have sired competing offspring. I would only comment if positive - therefore IMO, it makes getting a true answer on here, VERY difficult!

severnmiles

Visit site
Why is it classed as defamatory? I would be talking thruth here, you know what I mean, the stallions that are known to have reps, if that is how they are then why is it wrong to talk about it publicly? If the people who stand that stallion or breed from it can't put up with people's honest opinions of its offspring then perhaps they shouldn't be breeding from them in the first place, what do you think?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Well you can say how you honestly found your youngsters can't you and stress how good the mare's temperment is so you'd be leaving it to others to draw their own conclusions from your comment I would have thought.
Perhaps you can't say "I wouldn't use Old Bob again, he's got a really dodgy temper" but you could say "This colt by Old Bob is an evil little s*** which is strange as none of the other foals out of this mare are like it". That's my take on it anyway, don't know whether it is right; no doubt someone will tell us!

Massive apologies to anyone if they have a stallion called OLd Bob, it was honestly not aimed at your horse!
blush.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Massive apologies to anyone if they have a stallion called OLd Bob, it was honestly not aimed at your horse!
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol! You make me laugh Pat!

Yes I think thats the best way to put it. Careful wording. Street Music must be an angel...Archie is so laid back and mellow, even when I shove nasty tasting stuff in his mouth to kill wriggly worms!

Well I'm glad you liked the ringtone
grin.gif
I'll PM you back tomorrow morning as I'm off for a shower and bed
smile.gif

Kisses to the Bassets!

lizstuguinness

Visit site
most definatly. after all its a major part of concidering a stallion.
i wanted to use concord for my mare, but after finding out that owners of his offspring said thier horses tended to be on the strong and stubben side it put me off slightly.
another breeder also noticed that he threw big foals usually adding a good few inches.
since my mare is already 17.1hh at 4yrs, i didnt want a 18hh bargy monster!!!

you MUST concider the offspring, the stallion may be wonderfull himself but may pass on his slighter darker genes.
i did hear of a non cloured stallion that always threw coloured horses..... what lies beneath!!

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I did hear of a non cloured stallion that always threw coloured horses..... what lies beneath!!

[/ QUOTE ]

REALLY?? Who's that? Pm me if you'd rather, but I'd be VERY interested to know. Thank you!