Reabsorbing the Foetus?

ClaireT

Visit site
My mare is 3 weeks in foal. She is still out running with the stallion to keep him company.
Is there a danger that she will reabsorb the foetus if she remains out with him. She would have been due back into season this weekend..
Advice please friends! Should I go and collect her tomorrow??

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Dont know techinically, but we ran a stallion for a few years. We hadnt managed to get the mare in foal past Oct 1st for 4 years, she had 3 previous foals. She bushed with him all eyar round and carried 2 to full term.

paulo

Visit site
My friends Stallion ran with her pregnant mares and she had no problems , foals were all fine

Marnie

Visit site
In our yard, the yard owner runs a couple of mares with her little cob stallion throughout the year - they are turned out in the spring together, spend the summer turned away, live in a big, loose barn together in the winter and are separated shortly before foaling - when the stallion will be turned away again with another couple of mares. It works really well, no foaling problems, all mares 'took' and a very happy stallion living with his little herd all year round!

ClaireT

Visit site
Thanks All!
I know that it is a possibility, and having looked further, some people say that even being around a gelding can bring a mare back into season!
crazy.gif

My mare reabsorbed last month; we brought her back home and had to keep her on our isolation yard for 2 weeks. The stress of being alone upset her, so this month I was happier to leave her with the stallion and let the pregancy take properly.
It was my OH who stuck his head round the door half an hour ago and threw me into a panic about it!
blush.gif