reached the horns of a dilema

windand rain

Visit site
Our very dangerous and naughty pony has now started to turn on the OH. He was managable while he was ok with us and we could poo pick and deal with him. A while ago he bit my OH hard and although tempted to leather him he just chased him away. Now understanderbly oh is a bit bravado but underlying wariness which he is picking up on. Pony is getting more and more aggressive with everyone but me and will push his luck with me I keep thinking it would be safer just to shoot him but it seems a bit harsh when he is very healthy. He has always had the tendency but has been more or less ok for about 10 years we have allowed him onto a big ungrazed field so he is not hungry which was always he trigger before. He is an acute laminitic so haas often been on restricted food. Now he has got to the point of being so full he can stop eating. His feet are fine he is fine health wise he is a companion so has no challenges for his skeleton or tack etc. You cannot get a vet near him so no chance of doing tests on him. I do not want to shoot him, I can keep people from being hurt but is it fair. It has beem suggested that he gets a good hiding but he is a fighter not a flight animal and I believe it would just make him worse. He has had firm but fair handling all his life you cannot give an inch. I have owned him from a foal he was born like this. He is a perfect gentleman when caught and as soon as you put a headcollar and leadrope on he is gentle and respectful. Any suggestions welcome

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Im a bit unclear what you actually want suggestions for, can you clarify what you want to achieve ie do you need him to be ridden, handled by others?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would just fasten him out of the way while you poo pick, I can never understand why people take wheelbarrows etc into a field with a pony, it is just asking for trouble in one form or another, imo. If you don't thik the pony is in any pain, just make sure that it doesn't get the chance to bite etc.

SEL

Visit site
I took on a horse who had been hand reared and was dangerous on the ground. She's a different horse 4 years on but it's taken consistent boundaries and there's still enough unpredictability that I'm careful who handles her - esp around food.

What is causing him to turn on your OH? Mine has triggers - she doesn't lash out for no reason

windand rain

Visit site
I would guess he was cross with him for not doing what he wanted ie opening more grass. It was before we moved him onto the rough grazing. Suggestions for getting him to behave I am open for all ideas the only other choice is to shoot him before he seriously injures someone.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He's nasty. Nothing you do (least of all leathering him will change that). If you need to do work in the field put him in his stable to ensure no one gets hurt.

Seville

Visit site
Don't " leather" him, getting physical won't do anything except hurt him and that's not right. As others have said, you aren't going to suddenly make him behave so remove him from where anyone needs to work.