Reactions To Vaccinations

Crackerz

Visit site
One of mine had his flu/tet booster at 4:30pm on Wednesday last week. On Thursday he seemed off colour but he was eating and drinking so just assumed he was just a little off due to the vaccination.

Friday morning i went to put him out and he was so quiet and so unsteady on his feet - dehydrated due to not being able to put his head down to his bucket it seems! Emergency vet called - bank hol rates - sigh!

He had muscle relaxant and a course of anti-b's and anti-inflamms. I put straw bales in his stable to put his water and feed buckets on so that he could reach, poor boy.

Seemed much better by Sunday :)

Took me by surprise - never have i had one have a bad reaction!

miss_c

Visit site
They are rarer these days but there is still the odd one... if it's any consolation mine is allergic and tries very hard to die, resulting in her having to have a secondary jab to go with her flu/tet and a check every other hour for 24 hours after it if all doesn't go well.

eggs

Visit site
My friend's horse had a very bad reaction to a combined flu and tet jab some years ago. He was seriously ill for quite a few days and off work for over a month.

My vet tends to always jab into their bum rather than their neck.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Your vet should log it with the manufacturer as a reaction when this happened yo us the manufacturer paid the bill for the call out.
That horse now has a injection of anti-inflammatory on the day of the jab and is fine

tessah

Visit site
You must report this to the manufacturer. You can find the manufacturer by checking in your passport which vaccination was used. All reactions should be reported. Report this yourself if the vet wants to they can do a separate report but you must do yourself then you know is done.

Hope horsey is ok?

Crackerz

Visit site
ohhh ok i will report it! there is a manufacturer sticker in his passport.

He's ok now - back to his cheeky bouncy self! It's the last day of anti-biotics and metacam today too

jj_87

Visit site
oh heck thats not good!
A few years ago mine had strange reaction, very lethargic and a real rattle type cough and a mega temperature, she ended up having a month off in the end and a course of anti biotics. The vet was pretty certain that she had reacted to the flu vaccine and ended up with a small bout of flu.

Bertolie

Visit site
One of my previous horses reacted to the flu/tet jab. Vet gave it in the chest area and the following day he had a swelling the size of a rugby ball. Vet came and gave anti inflammatories but the next day horse was covered in hives, was sweating and breathing was laboured. Steroid injections eventually sorted him out. Vet took photos and reported it to the vaccine manufacturer who, upon investigation, found the batch to be faulty. The manufacturer paid my vets bill in full.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My NF mare had a reaction to her 1st jab. Very down, swelling around throat, glands up.

Used different brand the next time without any adverse affects. They can react to the carrying agent for the vaccine.

Britestar

Visit site
I have one who reacts every year. We're used to it now and he gets bute for a few days after. He much worse on the years he's has tetanus, and he gets them separately rather than a combined vacc.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
my old horse used to but only to Prequenza Te-he seemed fine the morning after but when I saw him after work he could hardly move he was so stiff-couldnt eat/drink from a normal position. A course of bute and he was fine-practise used to keep different makes for horses that reacted to it (there were several in my area alone when it came out).