Real life veterinary feature in HORSE magazine

www.horsemagazine.co.uk
HORSE magazine have started a new monthly feature based on real life veterinary experiences.
We are looking for unusual, veterinary problems, injuries or incidents that your horse has been through and recovered from, to provide information to readers as well as being an interesting read.
If you feel you have a relevant story please email me on; lauren.griffith@btinternet.com
Many thanks
Lauren

Patches

Visit site
Not sure what type of problem is perceived as interesting enough for an article.

My own horse suddenly went lame with what appeared to be an abcess. Turned out to be an infected tendon sheath in her knee for which she required emergency surgery and months of aftercare to get her sound. If I hadn't acted so promptly she would have sadly been PTS as these types of infection are savage in their progression.

Is this the type of story you'd be interested in?

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
My horse is recovering from a collatoral ligament injury to the coffin joint (an injury not disimilar to Nick Skelton's Arkle) which required surgery and he had to wear a cast for 6 weeks (I have photos!). We're more than halfway through the recuperation period but still have some way to go. Like Patches said, not sure if it's interesting enough for a magazine article.

G

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Have just sent you this by email:

When Minty was 10, I arrived at the yard to find her on three legs and in absolute agony, it took four of us to get her from the field to the yard she just could not put weight on her near hind, she was hunched and sweating and obviously in great discomfort so vet was called immediately. The vet originally felt it was pus in the foot and as a farrier was on site at the time, they dug and delved, they found nothing, the vet wanted to leave her for a few days to see if any pus did come out, but my gut feelings told me that something something more serious was up and after x-rays were taken it became clear that it was much more serious than a simple punctured sole. Minty had split her long pastern right down the middle (an injury common in young thoroughbreds), the bone was held together by about 3mm at the top - I was devastated.

We were referred to Tim Greet and Andy Bathe at Beaufort Cottage Hospital in Newmarket where more x-rays were taken to ascertain whether surgery was an option - thankfully it was and Minty was operated upon the same day. Tim and Andy literally screwed Minty's pastern back together and she stayed in hospital for about a week - I will never forget the sight of her in those first few days, attached to a drip but still incredibly pleased to see me. The initial prognosis was guarded, this operation was normally performed on much younger horses and it was never certain that she would be able to be ridden again, she was the first horse of this age to be treated and an initial three months box rest turned into six and then nine, after the first three months I was allowed to walk her inhand around the school twice a day slowly building it up - during this time she never became aggressive or nasty but she did become very very clingy. After nine months she was allowed out for the first time 1/2 hour a day to begin with, again building up the time slowly - the first time was exceptionally nervewracking as she could have undone all the healing but we chose a field with the lushest grass and she was so intent on eating that she felt no need to gallop about! After another month I actually got on her and walked once round the school - the feeling was incredible! There followed three months of gentle riding, and Minty seemed to know her own limitations, spookily so, she never misbehaved but was bright and cheerful - towards the end of this she galloped off with me on the common and I knew everything would be alright!

Minty is now 27 years old and still with me, since the operation she has won riding horse classes and veteran classes and given me two beautiful foals. Although she has been retired from riding for five years, she is still boss in the field, enjoys pushing the youngsters about and is a picture of health, only the other day the farrier said that she had at least another ten years in her - I do hope so! It is a priviledge to own her and she owes me nothing, I on the other hand owe her everything.

brightmount

Visit site
Lovely story Sirena
smile.gif