Real Racehorses Only –letter HH today

bellasmum

Visit site
Well done to Stewart Blackburn who has hit the nail on the head regarding the fantastic retraining of racehorses showing classes, just because the horse is registered at Wetherbys should not make it automatically viable for these classes, personally speaking, I think they should have at least run one race, and not be unraced before, the horse should be the kind it says on 'the tin'!! RACEHORSE! not UNRACED HORSE! Time for a rule change for next year me thinks!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I agree with that. Horses that have raced are a different kettle of fish to the unraced ones. I did look at the winners at the final and wonder about the qualification system
confused.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
Do you not think though, that TB's who have been in training even if unraced, deserve a chance? After all they have had the same training that needs undoing and are every bit as in need of rehabilitating and a lot of hard work? Though I guess harder to prove than if they have a racing record...

TBH I think the whole showing system needs an overhaul and the classes looking at. It misses out whole chunks of people who would like to compete - adults on ponies etc. and it would be nice to find some more relevant classes. For example I have a 15hh horse which is a pony really for showing, but I'm too old. She's too small for a small hunter, and they don't have many small hack type classes at all.

I can see the point but there is a bigger picture I think...

bellasmum

Visit site
As you know its regarded as a pony with the affiliated organisations, and the sizes are a progression for children, which I agree with, you cant have children competing in the same class as adults (unless an adult class)– but I do understand your problem. If she is registered you can do Heritage classes on her and be an adult? Have you tried the Adult pony riders association and tried their classes.

GTs

Visit site
I personally think 'ex-raver' is blown way out of proportion. They are just regular horses, treat them as that.

bellasmum

Visit site
I have them myself GT! – my point is the class is for Retrained racehorses – and I think they should have raced previously to qualify – not just been broken and rebought with a Weatherbys passport!

GTs

Visit site
I have owned a number of horses fresh off the track but to me they were always just regular horses, and treated as such. Many people think ex-racers are different then other horses, this class solidifies that thought

a1b2c3

Visit site
Don't be so nitpicky.

At the end of the day, if a horse has been in training, trained to race, just because it has not run on the stretch of grass called a racecourse it has still gone through the same procedure as the ones who have raced.

They will still need retraining, and so should still gbe accepted into the retrained racehorse classes.

cornwallexracers

Visit site
I own and retrain exracehorses and they are VERY different to unraced or untrained thoroughbreds. For a start their whole mindset has to change not to mention having to physically adapt to working in a different outline to that which they always have done. This is only achieved with time, patience and an undersatnding that these horses are VERY different to 'normal' horses, and taking on an exrcaehorse is not an easy or cheap option.

I agree that horses that enter these classes should have been trained or raced, because allowing horses who are simply TB's registered with wetherbys is a joke and goes against everything these exracehorse classes were set up for.

Exracehorse classes came about because so many of these horses have old tendon injuries or firing scars etc that would rule them out of 'normal' showing classes straight away.

So may I suggest that anyone with a 'real' exracehorse- that is one thats been in training or raced gets themselves along to the Exracers club classes being held across the country in 2007, where you'll be competing against your own and not registered TB show ponies.

filly190

Visit site
I do tend to agree with some of your points, because there is a difference. I have had five ex racehorses and they are all very different, dependent on their age and what they have done.

I think it would be helpful to have a raced and unraced class for this purpose. If a horse has been in training it will have done everything but the starting stalls which I feel makes it entitled to enter the competion.

However many yearlings develop injuries and never actually reach the track. I had a two year old in these circumstances whose training was only for a few months. I could quite easily take her along, but I feel it would be unfair to others who have put the hard work and effort into retraining.

I feel it is good to promote ex race horses and because of this, dont get too involved with the why's and wherefores of the whole competition. As long as it raises awarness and encourages other people to take on an ex racehorse I am all for it.

The same can be said in local shows and competitons. We have all seen pot hunters come along on trophey day.

cornwallexracers

Visit site
I agree that there should be classes for trained & unraced and raced but unless these classes get the entries they need then they have to compete together at the moment. The more entries these classes get, then the more chance there is of them being split into raced and unraced.

Thats why anyone with a horse thats been in training or has been raced needs to show their support for these classes. Regardless of the fact that your 2 year old never raced she was in training so you are entitled to enter, you'd be made very welcome I'm sure!!

foraday

Visit site
I agree that there is a big difference to a TB that never made it on the track let alone into a training yard to a horse that has raced on the track.

My ex racer can't be shown due to the freeze firing on his front legs so these classes really would be the only way he could be shown in hand. But I am not putting him in the ring with unraced or non trained horses as that is not an exracehorse!!!!!!

Perhaps ROR and the other charities that support these classes ought to change to trained & un trained.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
If a horse has been in training it will have done everything but the starting stalls which I feel makes it entitled to enter the competion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats not entirely true. Most yearlings are put through the starting stallls whilst being broken, sometimes before they are even ridden.
Where as jumpers would never even have seen them.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
When the classes are large enough to need splitting out, then I am sure they will be. However, when only 3 or 4 horses turn up for a class, and with these potential new rules only 1 of them is able to enter the class, then the classes will, quite simply, not be run any longer. What is worse - letting more horses enter the class or losing the class altogether.

I do, however, believe that the classes should really be for horses who have been in training (either raced or unraced). And eventually, I am sure this is going to happen.