Realistic price for a horse like this?

Xanthoria

Visit site
I am looking for a new eventer, and in my area (USA) the prices are obscene, with very few horses to look at in my area meaning flights all over to see horses. How much would the below cost in the UK? I have looked at ads but unsure if they're generally accurate or wishful thinking...

4-8 years old, 16-17hh, mare or gelding.
No OTTBs or draft crosses.
Only WB or TB x WB (or Anglo Arab, ISH, IDSH or other TB cross)
Forward, clever, great jumping ability
Sound and will pass the vet
Ability to compete at at least US Prelim level (BE Novice, roughly) one day, if all goes well
Hacks out alone or in company, easy to do, no silly stuff

What do you think?

Last edited:

SOS

Visit site
After looking for, and buying, similar I would say £7500-15,000 for the unproven but well bred and produced. Up to £30k if you want something quite outstanding/has placed well in some young horse classes. Mine was less than the minimum but drawbacks.

WB are technically hot blood (Arab or TB) crossed with cold blood (Draft or Pony). However in theory the distinct breed registers over the years have refined their type to produce a certain animal e.g Holsteiner. However Warmbloods do tend to still have a variety of breeds in them. I believe OP is trying to say no CobxShire or IDxConnie by no draft crosses? On a whole not normally suitable types for progressing in eventing anyway.

only_me

Visit site
why wouldn’t you look at draft crosses? They are usually crossed with tbs!

But most ISH now are actually WBs in disguise. You’d definitely be a fool to disregard ISH imo!!

Do you want a horse with a record or not?
That would determine the price dramatically, something with a record at 100cm with ability to go up novice will probably be around 10k.
Established at novice and otherwise easy will be 10k+
Something with no competing record but nice attitude/ability will probably be around 5-10k.
A 4 year old will generally be cheaper than an 8 year old, but that word potential just adds zeros lol

Mine is ISH coloured (3/4 tb, 1/4 draft, by coloured stallion won at 3*) and he cost 5.5 as a 4 year old and I’m quite certain he would have gone 2* easily perhaps more if I hadn’t went back to uni lol. Best horse I’ve ever had!!

be positive

Visit site
I am looking for a new eventer, and in my area (USA) the prices are obscene, with very few horses to look at in my area meaning flights all over to see horses. How much would the below cost in the UK? I have looked at ads but unsure if they're generally accurate or wishful thinking...

4-8 years old, 16-17hh, mare or gelding.
No OTTBs or draft crosses. WB or TB x WB (or Anglo Arab, ISH, IDSH or other TB cross)
Forward, clever, great jumping ability
Sound and will pass the vet
Ability to compete at at least US Prelim level (BE Novice, roughly) one day, if all goes well
Hacks out alone or in company, easy to do, no silly stuff

What do you think?

Having taken a look at a few in the US on another thread I think it would make sense to come over and see what you can get but it would make sense to ask an agent, or other contact you may have, to line up a few to view that they have assessed before you come, price would be £10- 15k upwards depending on age and record but even with the cost of importing it will probably be better and cheaper than the equivalent in the US.

Bernster

Visit site
Bunnydog’s threads on her search for a horse would be really useful - think they are in the C+T section of this forum. The price difference across the pond was really surprising to me!

Xanthoria

Visit site
why wouldn’t you look at draft crosses? They are usually crossed with tbs!

Drafties IMEX are too slow to make time in the heat of California, and suffer from our hard ground. I also prefer a lighter, more forward type.

But most ISH now are actually WBs in disguise. You’d definitely be a fool to disregard ISH imo!!

I like an ISH - I've edited my OP as it was a bit poorly worded :)

Do you want a horse with a record or not?
That would determine the price dramatically, something with a record at 100cm with ability to go up novice will probably be around 10k.
Established at novice and otherwise easy will be 10k+
Something with no competing record but nice attitude/ability will probably be around 5-10k.
A 4 year old will generally be cheaper than an 8 year old, but that word potential just adds zeros lol

Rideability more important than record, but having been to an event or two would be nice!

ihatework

Visit site
The price will completely depend on your expectations.

Quality, movement & jump (this is all a little subjective remember)

How much production has already been done on the horse (and who by)

Clean-ness of any X-rays

Proven record or not.

I would be confident I could go to Goresbridge (Irish sales) and for 5-7k find a backed but not overdone late 4yo to fit your spec with a gamble on the X-rays not being done.

Take that horse as a late 5yo that has a years production on it and has proven itself over 2-4 90/100cm events then you will be paying approx £12k if it’s limited in scope (but by that it we would class that as still capable of 1.10m), if it’s looking special then you wouldn’t get much change from 25k
(And I’ve known of ones suspected of top class change hands at that stage for almost double that)

sport horse

Visit site
I would find yourself a good agent either in Uk or Ireland and ask them to source a selection. Then come over and try them all and have a good holiday at the same time!

abbijay

Visit site
I have a facebook friend in CT who events (we met because she was competing a clydesdale cross) and she has started importing Irish youngsters as well as producing some OTTBs. I was absolutely bowled over by the prices she can charge for stuff that is popping 2'6"! They're not bad horses and her own string is happily doing prelim (and some above) but when she's picking up £4k & £5k horses, paying to fly them over and (by the look of it) quadrupling the price in a few weeks! If you know you're stuff I would definitely look to import.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The price will completely depend on your expectations.

Quality, movement & jump (this is all a little subjective remember)

How much production has already been done on the horse (and who by)

Clean-ness of any X-rays

Proven record or not.

I would be confident I could go to Goresbridge (Irish sales) and for 5-7k find a backed but not overdone late 4yo to fit your spec with a gamble on the X-rays not being done.

Take that horse as a late 5yo that has a years production on it and has proven itself over 2-4 90/100cm events then you will be paying approx £12k if it’s limited in scope (but by that it we would class that as still capable of 1.10m), if it’s looking special then you wouldn’t get much change from 25k
(And I’ve known of ones suspected of top class change hands at that stage for almost double that)

ALL the horses in the Goresbridge Go For Gold sale will have X-rays available for viewing.

ihatework

Visit site
ALL the horses in the Goresbridge Go For Gold sale will have X-rays available for viewing.

I wasn’t referring to Go for Gold, the regular sales at Gorsebridge. You won’t get much if anything at Go for Gold for 7k, and if you do they might have X-rays but they won’t be clean.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I wasn’t referring to Go for Gold, the regular sales at Gorsebridge. You won’t get much if anything at Go for Gold for 7k, and if you do they might have X-rays but they won’t be clean.

Actually, it is quite common now for horses in the regular sales (Goresbridge and Cavan) to have X-rays; their "cleanliness" or not is rather the whole point of having them, non?

ihatework

Visit site
Some but not all.
And cleanliness is subjective to a point.
I think I’m missing the point you wish to make though as you were clearly referring to GfG initially, and I’m afraid that is one sale I wouldn’t go to, because I’m too tight to ever pay inflated prices

Archangel

Visit site
Have a look on the Eventing - UK FB page - people post what they are looking for and lots come up, that will give you an idea of price. If you are after an Arab cross then there are some useful sorts on the H Tobago FB page.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
WB meaning from a warmblood registry like KWPN, Hanoverian etc. I don't count draft crosses as WBs - unless they're IDSH/ISH!

But they are! The foundation breeds are Draft breeds! I had a Westphalian Kaltblut who had been imported in foal to a TB, in order to produce a WB foal. Her home stud breeds and registers these crosses all the time.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would say the horse you describe can be bought for between 8 to 18 k
The price depends on greenness movement jump temperament etc etc etc.
The exceptional individuals can fetch huge prices .

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Some but not all.
And cleanliness is subjective to a point.
I think I’m missing the point you wish to make though as you were clearly referring to GfG initially, and I’m afraid that is one sale I wouldn’t go to, because I’m too tight to ever pay inflated prices

Oh, me too! I wouldn't go there unless it was for a client, FAR too expensive. You can buy the same horse (literally the same one....) for half that at the regular sales. My point was that there are x-rays, and vet certs, and re-vetting on site, available at most sales in Ireland.

Xanthoria

Visit site
Hm, good to know prices are Goresbridge are higher than usual.

Any suggestions on finding an agent? What do they usually charge?

9tails if I cancel a 2 week trip to India at this stage I'm going to be out quite a tidy sum! :eek:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Hm, good to know prices are Goresbridge are higher than usual.

Any suggestions on finding an agent? What do they usually charge?

9tails if I cancel a 2 week trip to India at this stage I'm going to be out quite a tidy sum! :eek:

No, it's the "Go For Gold" special sale which has the stupid inflated prices; the regular monthly sales are where you want to look, and you can do that on line, where the catalogues of both Goresbridge and Cavan sales are easily accessible.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Monart sale is more realistic in price and later in the year, so vendors might be wanting to move horses on before winter. I found the ordinary Goresbridge sport horse sale had unrealistic reserves on many horses, and several were too cheap for their breeding to be genuine. All have a 5 stage vetting. Do speak to Bunnydog on here, she went through the whole loop over here finding the right horse, but bought a cracker, and apparently, a lot cheaper than the equivalent in the states.

Leo Walker

Visit site
But they are! The foundation breeds are Draft breeds! I had a Westphalian Kaltblut who had been imported in foal to a TB, in order to produce a WB foal. Her home stud breeds and registers these crosses all the time.

They might have been the foundation breeds a long time ago, but warmblood doesnt mean coldblood x hotblood anymore and hasnt for some time. I just had a look a Kaltbluts and they are enormous "cart" type horses very similar to Ardennes. Even crossed with a TB I cant imagine they are gong to produce something that would grade into a warmblood stud book.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I think I saw something on Facebook a few days ago from Ben Hobday. I didn't look at price.

ETA: ignore me, already sold. Sorry. Might be worth taking a look at Shadow Sports Horses.

blitznbobs

Visit site
No, it's the "Go For Gold" special sale which has the stupid inflated prices; the regular monthly sales are where you want to look, and you can do that on line, where the catalogues of both Goresbridge and Cavan sales are easily accessible.

Good to know - I was looking at no 7 in the going for gold but will now wait and go to the normal one in the new year if I’ve found nothing in the mean time

ischia

Visit site
I would say it depends on its temperament and consistency, if it goes outbabd smashes a novice every time it's priceless. But then having said that I know of a immensely talented boy, easy sub 30 dressage, akways clear xc, who is brave as can be, he just needs control in spring with the grasscas it set him off with ulcers, then he is quirky and rightly so! He is up for 8500.