Really disappointed in what I have just read on another forum

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Horsey folk are usually quick to be up in arms about a car etc driving too close to their precious animals when out on a hack etc.

I have just read a post regarding a woman in a horsebox who - fair enough she didn't know - crushed a buggy, but thankfully not the child. But when alerted was more concerned that the banging on the horsebox would upset her horse!

Sorry but that is not on. The driver in question drives PAST a layby where she could have waited or waived the pedestrians into but no, on a Heavily weed covered track she expects them (with small children) to wait at the side as she squeezes past.....................

Not on, and also not a very good example of horsey people for others! Makes me blooming angry.

catkin

Visit site
If the facts of the story are true then that is definately not on - sounds like dangerous driving, and sorry, horse-person or not, they should be reported.

Sadly, in one way I'm not surprised as I have had more verbal abuse thrown at me when riding a horse along narrow country lanes by horsebox drivers than by any other type of motorist (though Karma got one of them - when they got stuck in the mud of a showground entrance whilst my tough little hunter who'd hacked to the show trotted smartly in on 'four-hoof drive')

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
That is unbe-flaming-lievable. Can we have a link, please? She could have killed a child by the sound of things, and that sort of behaviour does none of us any favours.

BSL

Visit site
Horsey folk are usually quick to be up in arms about a car etc driving too close to their precious animals when out on a hack etc.

I have just read a post regarding a woman in a horsebox who - fair enough she didn't know - crushed a buggy, but thankfully not the child. But when alerted was more concerned that the banging on the horsebox would upset her horse!

Sorry but that is not on. The driver in question drives PAST a layby where she could have waited or waived the pedestrians into but no, on a Heavily weed covered track she expects them (with small children) to wait at the side as she squeezes past.....................

Not on, and also not a very good example of horsey people for others! Makes me blooming angry.

please make this a wind up, surely no one would really do this??

Sukistokes2

Visit site
What a silly woman! She should not be driving a box if she can not reverse it! I drive my box on single track roads all the time, have too, no other way to get out. I alway give walkers plenty of room. It is however the cyclists the scare thehell out of me. They seem to have no sense of self preservation! !!!

Last edited:

BSL

Visit site
Narrow places, people on foot, stop, and let others go around me. Had to flag some women down the other day approaching me in her lorry, she had her step down, thought it was funny. "oh, last box had an alarm ha ha." Silly woman. Gives us all a bad rep. Number one rule with my dad. Always do check list before leaving anywhere including checkng step up. Be considerate to others.

foraday

Visit site
If anyone is on that forum then they need to tell her to report this to VOSA

Straight to the traffic commissioner
Richard Turfitt
Traffic Commissioner
DVSA
East of England
Eastbrook
Shaftesbury Road
Cambridge
CB2 8BF
Phone
0300 123 9000
Fax
01223 309 681

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Sorry but this does go on, my very outgrown but safe pony who has sharers was going off down the lanes which are very narrow with a Hugh ditch both sides about 6ft deep but deeper in places. A horsebox would wait for her to get to a pull in and forced the pony with a 3 yrs old girl on top put the mum pushing a pushchair to stand on a thin ledge while the box brushed past them, one move from my pony and he could have taken them all down the ditch but he's perfectly behaved so was fine but its not on. They even beeped the horn to tell her to move over.

Humans are awful

ThreeTB's

Visit site
There are ignorant people in all walks of life, and sadly that includes horsey folk! OH and I have had horse trailers and lorries driven past us ridiculously close and fast whilst out hacking (luckily ours are ok with it, but the next one they meet might not be), and a friend was actually hit by a horse box (driven by a vet. nurse!) while hacking down a lane to a fun ride! She just drove off so they confronted her in the lorry park - I can't believe anyone who has experienced how vulnerable you are on a horse on the road can have so little patience or sympathy with pedestrians or riders.

mandwhy

Visit site
That makes me angry, ignorant people who I have some sort of association with such as horse or dog owners make me especially annoyed for showing us all up as a group

I hope that selfish woman gets reported.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
If the story is entirely accurate, then I hope the irresponsible driver gets the book thrown at her. If the lane is actually private, with no public access, then the driver was still an idiot, but in that situation, everyone was at fault. The fact that it was a horse box is incidental to the original incident imo.

JCW

Visit site
I am horrified! I hope that this lady gets more than a warning for the police.

As a mother myself, this story is really disturbing. She could have crushed a child!!!

The other day, my friend asked someone towing a horse trailer on a narrow country lane to stop as my horse is frightened of large vehicles especially when there is not much room and he was reluctant to stop for us and had to be asked several times and then he moved off before we had got passed. I just couldn't understand how inconsiderate he was being when surely he must understand how vulnerable horses are on the roads. I would have thought that horsey people would be more considerate and careful as a lot of the time, we rely on other drivers being such.

happyclappy

Visit site
how frighetning. if true, and i am not doubting it, then she needs to be reported. if a photos she has posted shows the number plate, then someone shoudl get the police to at least have a quiet word. disgusting and shocking.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I had a pony on loan that had been hit by a horsebox in not a very narrow lane, they were in too much of a hurry to get to a local competition venue and didn't stop to let the rider get out of the way with her nervous pony. It meant that afterwards the pony was very frightened of anything large and long.

When drivers are in a large vehicle they sometimes go along with a "get out of my way" mentality.

Landcruiser

Visit site
What a stupid, arrogant somethinghole. There does seem to be a particular type of horsey woman that is blind to anything but their own horse and horsey affairs. Lacking empathy. I've met them, I've been spoken to by them as if I'm a schoolgirl (I'm 54). Some are upper class twits (ducks behind sofa!), and some are just plain arrogant/ignorant. Dear me....feel very sorry for the poor woman who's child's life flashed before her.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
There are ignorant people in all walks of life, and sadly that includes horsey folk! OH and I have had horse trailers and lorries driven past us ridiculously close and fast whilst out hacking (luckily ours are ok with it, but the next one they meet might not be), and a friend was actually hit by a horse box (driven by a vet. nurse!) while hacking down a lane to a fun ride! She just drove off so they confronted her in the lorry park - I can't believe anyone who has experienced how vulnerable you are on a horse on the road can have so little patience or sympathy with pedestrians or riders.

Oh yes...i agree. In fact the stupidest person to speed close past me on my old horse when i was a teen was high up in the local pony club and was towing her daughters pony at the time. She just glared straight ahead and didnt even adjust speed on a single track country road.

charli_

Visit site
This is disgusting. It really makes you sad that some people can be this selfish, there are some awful people in this world. As a horse owner and a mother of a small child, I cannot believe this. I love my horses but if I was driving in a horsebox, I wouldn't care if they got scared, as long as everyone was safe. This woman nearly killed a child - frankly I would rather my horse got slightly hurt and had some cuts and bruises from being scared in the horsebox than the child being in this situation! The four year old is now crying about it a lot according to the post, children that age are very impressionable and I can't believe how selfish this is. Poor lady and her children, and the friends that had to watch! Hope they're okay now.

scotlass

Visit site
Ten or so years ago, I attended the funeral of a baby killed accidently at a stable yard by a reversing digger whilst in his buggy, and cannot forget the anguish of his parents. Thankfully this terrifying incident has had a better outcome

Fjord

Visit site
Oh wow, how very scary for the poor woman and the children. Why didn't the horse box driver just stop so the pedestrians could make their way round safely?

skint1

Visit site
Not in anyway excusing this driver's behaviour but I think that many people are not quite confident when driving horse boxes and trailers,this makes them less considerate than they might otherwise be. I can't reverse my trailer for toffee luckily my daughter can, but when I have been in situations like that I have given the pedestrians or other road users like bikes, horses plenty of room and crawled along til we get to passing place.

horselover88

Visit site
Not in anyway excusing this driver's behaviour but I think that many people are not quite confident when driving horse boxes and trailers,this makes them less considerate than they might otherwise be. I can't reverse my trailer for toffee luckily my daughter can, but when I have been in situations like that I have given the pedestrians or other road users like bikes, horses plenty of room and crawled along til we get to passing place.

Not having confidence while driving is no excuse for aggressive and potentially life threatening driving! I understand some people will struggle with certain moves, but in that case they should be travelling with someone who CAN help them or take over when needed, as your daughter can yours.

People are sadly far too selfish and don't foresee the risk. I had pulled over for a car coming the other way on a narrow country lane the other day. Car behind me bombed around the corner and was so far up my arse he didn't have enough time to brake and pull in too, nearly hitting me AND the car coming the other way- he just carried on past me and looked at me like it was my fault for pulling over sensibly!