Really long manes & living out over winter?

fuze

Visit site
Any tips?? :rolleyes:

Cob, mane is well past his shoulder. He'll be living out 24/7 as much as possible. What's the best way to manage it? Leave it be (I'm thinking protection from elements), plait up, mane bags?

Unknown territory for me. Any experiences welcome!

Polos Mum

Visit site
My companion pony has an amazing mane, when it's cold put your hands under it and feel the warmth it keeps in - much much better than any combo rug I've tried. and it's always dry underneath too. So if you can certainly leave it - I spray in lots of mane and tail and pick out wind plats with my fingers but don't brush it at all over winter (loads is pulled out when brushed) he is grey but I don't ride him so don't mind if it looks a little messy.
Anything you put over it may rub it out

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I leave long manes alone apart from gently teasing out wind tangles as soon as I notice them. They are good protection from the elements as I don't use combo rugs or neck covers (Wugs are OK though if you want a bit more protection) as they damage the manes.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
don't comb out often but if you do like to then only use fingers and plenty of detangler, no neck rugs can also use a very loose running plait if very long-I found that individual plaits get rubbed out easily.

EstherYoung

Visit site
I tend to leave well alone and then de-matt with my fingers and cowboy magic probably three or four times during the winter when it gets too bad and I can't bear it any more. Spud generally goes through the winter with a permanent 'theft plait' in the middle of his mane.... They then get a decent wash in the spring.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I've always used mane and tail conditioner, but having said that, a girl on my yard has two cobs with amazing manes - she uses pig oil. I'll probably switch when my current bottle runs out.

cambrica

Visit site
I just love Roberto's mane in the winter. He gets that separated, wavy tousled look. Wish I could do it with my hair! Might spray a bit of the Avon SSS I have coming on his mane just to try it out.
I do use pig oil but wouldn't in the winter. It's a great product but does attract grease and grime. Ideal to use on feathers though.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Leave his mane as long as ait will go, so long as its healthy. It's what Nature in her wisdom put on horses to protect them from the elements. Ours all live out 24/7 - a TB, a Welsh Section D, a Welsh Section C and two Shetlands, and they all have fantastic manes. we never pull them, but they are combed through with Johnsons Baby Oil or similar from about the end of August (likewise tails and any feather). This 'waterproofs' the hair, and rain just runs off. We also start feeding the bigger horses linseed from September on - another wonderful natural conditioner of manes and tails.

Enfys

Visit site
August2013175_zps19be0132.jpg

I braid if mine is out in the forest. If I don't, this ^ happens. Cowboy Magic doesn't work on Elle's mane, been there, done that, wasn't impressed :(

May2013145_zps71a8cbf0.jpg

mandwhy

Visit site
I run baby oil through it to deter mud sticking and then leave it other than picking out mud and tangles with my fingers. My girl has a long flaxen mane :) I plaited it a few times and she rubbed bits or it pulled bits out, I avoid that like the plague now!

fuze

Visit site
Fab, plenty of oil & au natural it is :)

It's actually closer to knee length than shoulder length... and it's white. I'll be ripping my hair out by the time spring comes back round :D